Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Award redemption

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Gold
Star Alliance Award redemption

Hey, I tried to look if there is a similar thread but couldn't find one. I thought it's useful to have a thread discussing booking star alliance flights using eurobonus. I've seen something similar in the aegean forum.

Here's my first question. I booked an award flight online using eurobonus points, from Cotonou to Tel Aviv, 29.03 -08.04, with Ethiopian, economy, using 25,000 points. As both Benin and Israel are in the same zone, it's something of a sweet spot, with flight prices around 800€ return.

Now I got the temporary booking and called the Hotline to confirm. They said they need to calculate taxes, but could charge my card and if it's too high, I can cancel the booking for free, which I accepted. The booking went through and to my surprise, the taxes were 2,471 SEK (240€).

If I check the same flights on aegean miles+bonus, I get 119€ taxes for the same flights. Did anyone have a similar experience? Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The "taxes" on a redemption is calculated by each carrier comparing A3 to SK is a mute point. Their base for calculations of both miles and YQ (geek speak for the taxes) does not have the same logic.
​​​​​​
SK used to charge a fixed euro fee per segment for star alliance redemptions, though I can remember the amount. But I am sure someone can chime in with that.
zeer0 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.