Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS op-up priority and procedure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS op-up priority and procedure

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:55 am

Well, at the very least the courtesy upgraded should work as announced.

and that: an upgrade one class up if space permits, I.E. in this case an empty plane is better.

Not sure, it worked quite well for me in 2016, in 2017 and 2018 I got not a single courtesy upgrade! Not one! While there was space available...
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:54 pm

Flying IAD-CPH on 3/13, and noticed that while Plus is fully occupied (according to expert flyer), SAS is still selling at least 2 Plus seats. Business has 15 seats open. As a *G, is there any chance of an op-up? I have been checking on *A mile upgrades, but so far there has been no inventory offered.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:31 pm

Sure, there is always a chance for the op-up... but very small...

First, they can still sell J seats in the next 10 days, then there are the people who bid on PlusGrade and finally the curtesy upgrades for SK Elites.

If after all of that has been sorted, I guess there won’t be need or space available for an op-up. And they usually would op-up SK*G First, then other *G.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by adams828
Flying IAD-CPH on 3/13, and noticed that while Plus is fully occupied (according to expert flyer), SAS is still selling at least 2 Plus seats. Business has 15 seats open. As a *G, is there any chance of an op-up? I have been checking on *A mile upgrades, but so far there has been no inventory offered.
Out of my last 100 SK flights in economy class as a *G, I’ve had zero complimentary upgrades.

My first SK flights as a UA*G came with lots of complimentary upgrades to business on SK long-haul flights, but that was nearly 20 years ago.

Of my last 100 SK long-haul flights in economy class as a *G, I’ve had one SK flight come with a complimentary upgrade of any sort; and this had me and those on my PNR upgraded from economy to Business on UA-issued award tickets after the UA flight was cancelled for the day.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: SK*G, OW S
I really believe SAS doesn’t take into consideration the booking class when making Op-Ups. I once got upgraded from Economy to Plus in a PVG-CPH segment (11:30h long) and I was on a youth ticket for which I had paid in total less than 300€ rt.

edit: I’m *A Gold
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Peter1012
I really believe SAS doesn’t take into consideration the booking class when making Op-Ups.
No they don't. They are supposed to go by status... but sometimes the agents seem to have fun upgrading whoever they fill like it. And often Family & Friends...

Last summer, they oped up a family of 6 without any status, from economy to J, while my two colleagues (one *G, on SK*G) wasn't considered. I talked to the father of that family who was seated next to me and he was also very surprised. In the end, I he told me, one of the FAs is a friend of his oldest daughter... guess what.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by fassy
No they don't. They are supposed to go by status... but sometimes the agents seem to have fun upgrading whoever they fill like it. And often Family & Friends...
My girlfriend was also upgraded in the same flight with me, but she was EB*S, so I thought that was the reason as we were travelling on different ticket numbers (but specified at the check-in counter that we are travelling together). Difficult to guess if she was upgraded because of me, because of her silver status or both
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:32 am

Last summer, they oped up a family of 6 without any status, from economy to J, while my two colleagues (one *G, on SK*G) wasn't considered. I talked to the father of that family who was seated next to me and he was also very surprised. In the end, I he told me, one of the FAs is a friend of his oldest daughter... guess what.
This happens apparently in whatever airline... Once flying with Norwegian AGP-OSL I got friend with the guy sitting next to me. He was the boyfriend of one of the flight attendants so we both got free Coke during the flight. I was kind of surprised to be honest
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Peter1012
This happens apparently in whatever airline...
True, but SK is very much known for this... while e.g. on some other airlines this is a big no-no.

and an upgrade from Go to Business on a transatlantic flight for 6 pax, is a bit different from getting a free coke... isn't it? Especially, if it means the check-in agents won't be able to sell those upgrades for cash or miles.... or fulfill the service promise of curtesy upgrades for EBDs.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:52 am
Suspended

True, but SK is very much known for this... while e.g. on some other airlines this is a big no-no.

and an upgrade from Go to Business on a transatlantic flight for 6 pax, is a bit different from getting a free coke... isn't it? Especially, if it means the check-in agents won't be able to sell those upgrades for cash or miles.... or fulfill the service promise of curtesy upgrades for EBDs.
SAS now sort of does consider it a problem. This is why they have set up an upgrade-selling stand in the SAS check-in hall at CPH that advertises buying upgrades for money or points. Amusingly, the SAS employees set it up so that people are more likely to see it after flying into CPH than before flying out of CPH. And online too, SAS has made changes to push increased upgrade monetization. Unfortunately, this does no real good for FFP status-based upgrades of any sort as far as I can tell.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
SAS now sort of does consider it a problem. This is why they have set up an upgrade-selling stand in the SAS check-in hall at CPH that advertises buying upgrades for money or points. Amusingly, the SAS employees set it up so that people are more likely to see it after flying into CPH than before flying out of CPH. And online too, SAS has made changes to push increased upgrade monetization.
I have seen that too, but sometimes they seem to be quite unsuccessful. On the mentioned day that I was departing from PVG, they were offering upgrades from Y to J (not plus) for like 250€pp, and Y to Plus for 100€pp. I find it a bargain price considering such a long flight but my girlfriend didn't care that much so we declined the offer. And still, they had to upgrade us to Plus for free and with us like 2 families of 4 people (I'm pretty sure they were upgraded because of their happy faces and their comments about it).
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:15 am
Suspended

I prefer the poor person’s business class in economy class over SASPlus, at least when it comes to flights where sleep is part of the picture.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: More than one
and an upgrade from Go to Business on a transatlantic flight for 6 pax, is a bit different from getting a free coke... isn't it?
It was free coke on DY.
Peter1012 and SK2751 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:24 am

Bummer, thanks for the reports all.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:59 pm

Programs: Various
I know someone whose brother-in-law is a KL pilot. That leads to upgrades all the time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.