Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Will Etihad join Star Alliance - impact for EuroBonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBD, QR Platinumr, HH Gold, Intercont Platinum Ambassador,CC Gold

Rumors are saying that Abu Dhabi based Etihad is considering joining Star Alliance,
Any idea on what will happen to SAS EuroBonus members and the use of EB-points for EY suites to down under?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by peterfox
Rumors are saying that Abu Dhabi based Etihad is considering joining Star Alliance,
Any idea on what will happen to SAS EuroBonus members and the use of EB-points for EY suites to down under?
Since no one knows whether this is more than just a rumour, no one knows how they will handle a potential alliance membership. It would probably make sense for EY. I think QR benefits quite a bit from Oneworld membership.

However, since EY generally makes both First Class Apartment and Residence seats available for redemption by partner programs I would guess that would continue in some shape or form. However with the full alliance of point hoarders ready to pounce on the seats, they are likely to become very tough come by. Should it happen.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:37 pm

If past experience is anything to go by don't hold your breath. IF it happens it will likely take more than a year from the first OFFICIAL announcement......
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by trooper
If past experience is anything to go by don't hold your breath. IF it happens it will likely take more than a year from the first OFFICIAL announcement......
That too....
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Its bound to happen, the ME carriers need Alliances to continue being successful. Perhaps Emirates doesn't but since QR has OW, SV has ST, Ethad has to go somewhere.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:14 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
My hopes are on Oman Air much rather than Etihad. The service level on Oman Air is amazing, no matter the class. And they are looking to expand in the next few years!
They already have a codeshare with Lufthansa

I saldy don’t see Oman Air joining when Etihad koins, althou if both joined it‘d be a win-win for us!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I'd love to see EY join the Star Alliance but I feel caution.

Remember that Qatar were almost at the point of announcement after quite a deep partnership with LH but then at the crucial point LH pulled the plug and refused to allow QR to join. Now LH has a partnership of similar vein with EY, possibly based on some common work after the demise of Air Berlin and while LH has done joint work they have always resisted including in the courts the influence of the Gulf carriers. If EY joined *A it may be that EK would be able to overturn the protection LH enjoys in Germany and gain wider access than their current four points which I think are FRA, MUC, DUS & HAM.

Equally, as the Gulf is not a destination in its own right for many SQ who have no doubt lost out to the Gulf carriers too are noted not to be keen on having EY on board. They and LH are big players with a lot of influence. Maybe they will think it better to have an ally now rather than not but I wouldn't hold my breath. Air India might also have reservations about a Gulf carrier.

Let's hope EY do join though, from a passenger's point of view, they would be a great addition.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by peterfox
Do you have any reasonably credible sources you can cite? Completely aside from that, your question will not be answerable until such an event happens (if it does), so nothing to fret about at the moment.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: TK Gold
it has been rumoured that CX would have been switching to Star Alliance. Nothing has yet to been materialised. We should wait until this becomes a reality
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
it has been rumoured that CX would have been switching to Star Alliance. Nothing has yet to been materialised. We should wait until this becomes a reality
I always doubted that CX wanted to join Star Alliance, and I even more doubt that SQ and TG are particularly interested in them joining.

EY I can at least see their potential interest, though TG and SQ would most likely recent it even more than CX joining
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
EY is Stumbling along and a classic zombie airline right now. Much weaker than Qatar or Emirates. Joining *A will just accelerate it's demise.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
EY is Stumbling along and a classic zombie airline right now. Much weaker than Qatar or Emirates. Joining *A will just accelerate it's demise.
Were they not already stumbling weirdly along when they started all their investment in failing European Airlines?? Not just right now, but stumbling for a quite long while....
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They are selling off parts of their fleet and people are using their MRO facilities in AUH.... LH is helping them recover some of their losses. If fuel goes up any further the fall is imminent.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by oliver2002
EY is Stumbling along and a classic zombie airline right now. Much weaker than Qatar or Emirates.
Sky Team it is then.
Dover2Golf and JR67 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Amex

Does the amex 241 work with ey?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.