HKG award availability

Old Aug 8, 18, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Pandion, BA Silver
HKG award availability

I was looking for award flights from CPH or ARN to HKG.

I see decent availability until September (outbound) and October (return). Thereafter nothing. Not a single award ticket in any class.

Any idea what is going on and why no award tickets have been made available at all?

ScandiGB
Old Aug 8, 18, 7:15 am
aju

Programs: SK Diamond *G
It's not that uncommon. SAS usually has few award seats available in business class at least to/from Tokyo, Los Angeles and Hong Kong at least.
Old Aug 8, 18, 7:21 am

Aju, you're talking about "few award seats in biz," but what ScandiGB is referring to is the fact that they have 0 award seats available in any class from October until June next year.
Old Aug 8, 18, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aju View Post
It's not that uncommon. SAS usually has few award seats available in business class at least to/from Tokyo, Los Angeles and Hong Kong at least.
This is any class. Even Go or Plus.
It is completely different from the other long haul routes.
It seems not a single seat has been loaded after September (outbound) and October (return).
Old Aug 8, 18, 7:49 am

Not that unusual, SAS long haul award availability is always very limited and I see it quite often that there is not a single opening for a 3 to 4 month window to where I want to go. I just gave up on them and book *A awards.
Old Aug 8, 18, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Not that unusual, SAS long haul award availability is always very limited and I see it quite often that there is not a single opening for a 3 to 4 month window to where I want to go. I just gave up on them and book *A awards.
I cannot see a similar situation anywhere else on their network. This is 10 months without availability.
It also coincides fairly well with when they are switching the flight from ARN to CPH, which seems like an odd occurance to me.
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:10 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
It is because they move the HKG route to CPH. It is unknown to CS when availability is back.
Old Aug 8, 18, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by ScandiGB View Post
I cannot see a similar situation anywhere else on their network. This is 10 months without availability.
It also coincides fairly well with when they are switching the flight from ARN to CPH, which seems like an odd occurance to me.
Ah, 10 months... yes... that seems wrong. I didn't pay to close attention to the timeframe. Guess you are probably right and they haven't loaded the flights from CPH.
Old Aug 9, 18, 4:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
It's pretty annoying, because youth fares haven't been loaded either for those flights yet
Old Aug 9, 18, 7:55 am

Programs: SK *G
They have previously handled youth tickets differently from awards. My experience is that they release them in 2-3 month blocks, and usually 6-8 months in advance (as opposed to 11 months).

For awards, it seems that certain routes are usually harder than others. HKG and SFO seem to have very limited availability most of the year. In this instance, I agree that it is likely due to switching the flights to CPH. Let's see what happens when people return from holidays.

As Fassy noted, I tend to make a *A booking instead if I have specific dates in mind...unless you are prepared to wait and take the risk.
Old Aug 9, 18, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by livious View Post

As Fassy noted, I tend to make a *A booking instead if I have specific dates in mind...unless you are prepared to wait and take the risk.
Sure. As a MasterCard Premium holder I just want to find a time when a friend and I can do a long weekend in Hong Kong at some point.

There is is a big difference between paying 60k return (in Plus or Business) and what we have to spend if we do star alliance. We can be totally flexible on what long weekend it is and whether it is Weds or Thurs going out and whether it is Sunday or Monday going back.

This would be quite easy to find to the other long haul destinations e.g in the late spring 2019.
Old Aug 11, 18, 4:42 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
It's pretty annoying, because youth fares haven't been loaded either for those flights yet
I very much know (since some of my kids are over 12) but I snatched some great fares at around SEK 3500 per ticket last week MMX to HKG during week 8 holiday in Sweden - if I do direct if's SEK 1000 more per person.
Old Aug 13, 18, 10:17 am

Seems SAS is trying to get rid of the ex-MMX/AGH fares through ARN backtracking to CPH

Couldn't book AGH-ARN-CPH-SFO anymore. Did that before with SK2178 - SK 403 - SK 935. Plenty of time between flights to make the connection. I could even take SK 176 - SK 1419 - SK 935. Or one of the first 4 flights a day from AGH to ARN to catch SK 945 to ORD and SK 3941 (UA) to SFO.
Old Aug 13, 18, 2:27 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Seems SAS is trying to get rid of the ex-MMX/AGH fares through ARN backtracking to CPH

Couldn't book AGH-ARN-CPH-SFO anymore. Did that before with SK2178 - SK 403 - SK 935. Plenty of time between flights to make the connection. I could even take SK 176 - SK 1419 - SK 935. Or one of the first 4 flights a day from AGH to ARN to catch SK 945 to ORD and SK 3941 (UA) to SFO.
The last one seems a logical fare, except that one would want to avoid the US domestic connection where possible. So I am surprised that they would relive that But the first route, I can't say I blame them. AGH is still within a reasonable catchment area of CPH
Old Aug 13, 18, 3:13 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
I think the backtracking back to CPH via ARN is not completely disappearing. I have done MMX-ARN-CPH-IAD and will do MMX-ARN-CPH-HKG. It's totally ridiculous and I don't know how much SK gets if 400 SEK of the fare goes to the Swedish government. The funny thing is that I was surprised that SK dares to do that in Sweden as some Swedes are very concern about how flying pollutes the environment.

Search this Thread