Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance on SAS-operated Etihad codeshare flights

Baggage allowance on SAS-operated Etihad codeshare flights

Old Aug 2, 18, 1:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 700
Baggage allowance on SAS-operated Etihad codeshare flights

Mr WSM and I are travelling from Stockholm to Sydney with Etihad later this month. The itinerary involves two SAS operated flights - ARN-ZRH on the outward journey and LHR-ARN on the return.

The Etihad website says that the Etihad baggage policy applies on codeshare flights operated by SAS. I contacted SAS (via the SAS website on-line chat) because one of the suitcases we plan to use is larger than the SAS size limit for checked bags. It is comfortably within the Etihad size limit and the weight is not an issue.

The SAS customer services rep said it should be OK but that I should check wth Etihad. I reached out to the Etihad Twitter team and was told to check with SAS because they are the airline operating the first flight.

Does anyone have any recent experience of checking in ‘outsized’ bags on SAS operated codeshare flights? Should I just make a ‘special baggage’ request for this larger bag to be on the safe side for the ARN-ZRH and LHR-ARN legs?
WickedStepMother is offline  
Old Aug 2, 18, 10:57 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Programs: AY+, SK EB
Posts: 1,841
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother View Post
Does anyone have any recent experience of checking in ‘outsized’ bags on SAS operated codeshare flights? Should I just make a ‘special baggage’ request for this larger bag to be on the safe side for the ARN-ZRH and LHR-ARN legs?
How oversized is your bag? Your bag needs to be obviously oversized to raise attention. Nobody is running around with meters in the check-in area to check the luggage size.
Jainzar is offline  
Old Aug 3, 18, 12:34 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 700
The bag size is 81x55x35 cm, which exceeds the 158 cm (length + width + height) max allowed by SAS. The fact that it will look a lot bigger than the other 3 bags (2 at 75x52x31 and one at 69x49x29 - all Samsonite S’cure) might draw attention to it and cause it to be measured.
i can use a large holdall instead but it’s so much easier to have wheeled bags when we arrive at our destination so that we don’t have to bother with luggage trolleys.
WickedStepMother is offline  
Old Aug 5, 18, 5:32 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CPH, Swedish side of the bridge
Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother View Post
The bag size is 81x55x35 cm, which exceeds the 158 cm (length + width + height) max allowed by SAS. The fact that it will look a lot bigger than the other 3 bags (2 at 75x52x31 and one at 69x49x29 - all Samsonite S’cure) might draw attention to it and cause it to be measured.
i can use a large holdall instead but it’s so much easier to have wheeled bags when we arrive at our destination so that we don’t have to bother with luggage trolleys.
They only look at the weight, and often they don't even look at that. No problems, and if there are, refer to the documentation on the website. Check-in agents aren't going to give you grief. On the return it all goes automatically, so that is absolutely no worry.
WickedStepMother likes this.
JR67 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:50 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: ARN, ATH
Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Posts: 233
Originally Posted by JR67 View Post
They only look at the weight, and often they don't even look at that. No problems, and if there are, refer to the documentation on the website. Check-in agents aren't going to give you grief. On the return it all goes automatically, so that is absolutely no worry.
True, but that aside, doesn't the most significant carrier clause apply, since all segments are in a single ticket? In @WickedStepMother's case that would be Etihad, since AUH-SYD (and SYD-AUH) is clearly the longest/long-haul segment...
WickedStepMother likes this.
East_and_West is offline  
Old Aug 8, 18, 2:35 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CPH, Swedish side of the bridge
Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
True, but that aside, doesn't the most significant carrier clause apply, since all segments are in a single ticket? In @WickedStepMother's case that would be Etihad, since AUH-SYD (and SYD-AUH) is clearly the longest/long-haul segment...
Yes. I was mainly just saying that I didn't see it even becoming an issue, but if it did, she still has Etihad's documentation to fall back on. :-)
WickedStepMother likes this.
JR67 is offline  
Old Aug 8, 18, 2:59 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Programs: AY+, SK EB
Posts: 1,841
Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
True, but that aside, doesn't the most significant carrier clause apply, since all segments are in a single ticket? In @WickedStepMother's case that would be Etihad, since AUH-SYD (and SYD-AUH) is clearly the longest/long-haul segment...
But is it really that simple? When I travel with bulky sport luggage many airlines require to register it in advance and my MSC still points me to do the same for all the other operating airlines in my ticket.
Jainzar is offline  
Old Aug 8, 18, 5:14 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: ARN, ATH
Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Posts: 233
Originally Posted by JR67 View Post
Yes. I was mainly just saying that I didn't see it even becoming an issue, but if it did, she still has Etihad's documentation to fall back on. :-)
Precisely that.

Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
But is it really that simple? When I travel with bulky sport luggage many airlines require to register it in advance and my MSC still points me to do the same for all the other operating airlines in my ticket.
I think that according to the MSC clause it should be... I have flown several times multi-segment trips with airlines with different baggage allowances (mainly when travelling to the Far East, where the allowances are mostly quoted in total weight rather than in weight per piece), and this has always been the case. As a *G I have been allowed to check-in 30kg bags from Europe already even when flying in Y, and the first segment is an intra-European one. Yet since I have never taken my innebandy club on any of these trips, I cannot make a statement about sports equipment or other oddly-shaped items. In practice it may well be that different rules apply to such items.
East_and_West is offline  
Old Aug 8, 18, 6:53 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 700
An update.

Earlier this week I did ring SAS again, with a view to making a ‘special baggage’ request just to be on the safe side. Bags larger than the SAS limit count as special baggage, but the website asks you to ring up, rather than use the on-line form if your special baggage isn’t in the list (of mostly sports equipment)

(I’ve just looked up innebandy @East_and_West, I thought it was a typo! )

The agent I got this time was quite definite that the Etihad baggage rules would apply and also checked with her supervisor who said the same thing. She said (as other posters have reassuringly done on this thread) that I will not encounter any problems and the check-in agents will be aware of the rules.

It’s a shame I didn’t get someone as confident/knowledgeable the first time around. (A case of HUACAUYGTAYW - hang up and call again until you get the answer you want. )
East_and_West likes this.
WickedStepMother is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread