FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Missed Flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1922816-missed-flight.html)

andrewwood Aug 1, 2018 7:56 am

Missed Flight

It has happened that I have missed my flight due to unforeseen circumstances (traffic, not finding taxi, etc). But in that instance, United for example put me on the next flight at no charge. What is the policy for missed flights for SAS? Contemplating a ticket between SAS and United, want to get a better understanding of all rules, before making a decision.

Thank you

LondonElite Aug 1, 2018 8:11 am

Welcome to FT!

Neither UA nor SK is under any obligation to help you if you miss a flight for whatever reason. Unless you buy a flexible ticket be prepared to buy a new ticket. In practice, a number of circumstances come into play. There is the much-touted 'flat tire' rule, under which US airlines, at their sole discretion, may accommodate you on a later flight. Non-US airlines don't have such a policy. You should aim not to miss your flight, and have good travel insurance. Expecting the airline to cover you is to set yourself up for disappointment.

andrewwood Aug 1, 2018 9:03 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30035238)
Welcome to FT!

Neither UA nor SK is under any obligation to help you if you miss a flight for whatever reason. Unless you buy a flexible ticket be prepared to buy a new ticket. In practice, a number of circumstances come into play. There is the much-touted 'flat tire' rule, under which US airlines, at their sole discretion, may accommodate you on a later flight. Non-US airlines don't have such a policy. You should aim not to miss your flight, and have good travel insurance. Expecting the airline to cover you is to set yourself up for disappointment.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

Often1 Aug 1, 2018 9:08 am

Also, bear in mind that if you no show for any segment, any remaining segments may be cancelled. Thus, if you hold a return ticket and miss one segment, you may not only lose that segment, but may lose the entire return as well.

One data point with UA does not mean very much and there are many reports on FT of people having missed a UA flight and having been stranded.

Most people don't miss flights, so if this is something that has occurred more than once for you, it is worth thinking about allowing more time to get to the airport.

fassy Aug 1, 2018 9:14 am

For intra-European flights ex-Scandinavian cities, SK tends to be quite flexible while on the long hauls I don't see them helping out. Best you could hope for is that they rebook on the next available flight for a change fee plus fare difference. As said before, I don't think has an official 'flat tire' policy anymore. Best would be to have travel insurance which explicitly covers these issues, next to as Often1 recommends, just be on time ;).

LondonElite Aug 1, 2018 9:24 am

Travel insurance is typically stingy on interruptions...

fassy Aug 1, 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30035528)
Travel insurance is typically stingy on interruptions...

True, that's why I said "explicitly covers these issues". I would be stingy as well covering these kind of issues. How should I know if the customer was really delayed by a flat tire and not just sleeping in?

LondonElite Aug 1, 2018 10:25 am

Indeed. And it may be that a too-generous coverage leads to behavioural changes.

SK AAR Aug 2, 2018 1:22 pm

For SK you will be asked to go to ticket office for rebooking your ticket, i.e. you have to pay the change fee and any up-fare to get on another flight.

Travel insurance would normally cover this situation (provided that you did with ample time to get the airport in time for check-in)