Modify award booking mid-trip?

Old Jul 31, 18, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Modify award booking mid-trip?

I booked my 80 year-old mother a TATL award ticket in business (LH with Eurobonus points) to visit my family. We now have a medical emergency with her and she may not be able to make the return flight. There is still tons of availability on LH in the coming weeks. Does anyone have any experience with successfully changing dates mid-trip, or will I be forced to fork over another pile of points for a totally new one-way ticket home?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 31, 18, 10:34 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBD (*G), BA Bronze, KLM Gold, Emirates Silver
On SK, I know you cannot change once started - dont know if this applies to LH also.
Old Jul 31, 18, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by tgj1974 View Post
On SK, I know you cannot change once started - dont know if this applies to LH also.
Yes, also applies to *A awards.

Rebooking of flight awards is allowed (date & time) up to one 24 hours before the outward departure time, provided that your points have not expired. Once you have started your award trip, return trip cannot be rebooked nor refunded.
If it is a medical emergency, I would call anyway to see if they would help.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 18, 1:20 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
If an medical emergency I would call your travel insurance right away - I'm sure you didn't let a 80y old travel across the Atlantic without proper insurance coverage!

On Eurobonus awards you can't can the ticket once travel has commenced.
Old Aug 1, 18, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
If an medical emergency I would call your travel insurance right away - I'm sure you didn't let a 80y old travel across the Atlantic without proper insurance coverage!

On Eurobonus awards you can't can the ticket once travel has commenced.
Luckily it didn't have to get that far. She was released from the hospital today and deemed safe to fly on her scheduled departure. I was worried because the doctors were very unsure yesterday.

Yes, she had insurance - I just thought it would be easier to fix it in Tallinn if possible. :-)
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:33 am

I am in this boat now (not because of a medical emergency, just a change in work schedule). Has anyone successfully changed the return leg of a Eurobonus award ticket? Does it help to call back until you find someone to help?
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by SkOrdBgo View Post
I am in this boat now (not because of a medical emergency, just a change in work schedule). Has anyone successfully changed the return leg of a Eurobonus award ticket? Does it help to call back until you find someone to help?
I did succeed ONCE in moving the return by one day out after having arrived with the inbound. But that was back in 2015. I'm not sure if the rules where different then though. And it was CPH-HAM-CPH, so no longhaul.

Since then, every time I speak to an agent they say "No changes after journey started"which is particular painful since you cannot even upgrade e.g. J to F if it becomes available.
Old Sep 9, 19, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SAS Diamond, Marriott Ambassador and LT Plat, Radisson Platinum
Maybe Iím missing something, but (in hindsight) why not book the trip as two one-way tickets instead of a return? With points that should be the same, surely?

At any rate, thatís the recommendation for BA. Unless one is using a 2-4-1 voucher or similar, of course.
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:29 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by AverageHighFlyer View Post
Maybe Iím missing something, but (in hindsight) why not book the trip as two one-way tickets instead of a return? With points that should be the same, surely?

At any rate, thatís the recommendation for BA. Unless one is using a 2-4-1 voucher or similar, of course.
One way for Star Alliance redemptions is 60% of the return pricing. Can't remember how it works for an SK award.
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:55 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
It is the same. 60% for o/w - and double cancellation fee is you need to cancel.

I hardly never books o/w award tickets with SAS EB.

Search this Thread