Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Plus Lounge Access and other benefits for MAN - OSL - EVE

Old Jul 20, 18, 8:08 pm
koz
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VA, CX

We will soon be booking to fly MAN - OSL - EVE for early July next year and then EVE - OSL - LHR 10 days later. We will be on an extended European trip from Australia and will have 2 bags each. I've been planning to book in SAS Plus Saver since 2 bags are included, and also has the benefits of lounge access, fast track security, pre-seating, meal and seat in front. I've just been searching for information about SAS lounges and couldn't find anything on the SAS website but I found this link which states that SAS were terminating Lounges and Fast Track at various airports including Manchester from 1 Feb 2017: https://thepointsguy.com/2016/12/how...ium-passenger/

If this is still the case I'm thinking that we would be better off booking SAS Go and paying the 30 pounds or 30 Euro cost of an additonal bag since even after paying for the extra bag it is quite a bit cheaper than paying the SAS Plus Saver price for MAN - EVE so have to decide if the other benefits of SAS Plus are still worth the difference in price without the lounge access and fast track.

The MAN - OSL flight departs MAN at 19:50 and we would stay at an airport hotel in OSL and then fly OSL - EVE on a flight that departs OSL at 08:40 the next morning so if we still book SAS Plus Saver we could access the OSL lounge that morning.

For the EVE - OSL - LHR return flight we would only have a transit time at OSL of 55 minutes between flights so wouldn't be able to use lounge access there. I don't know if there is a lounge at EVE. We will be finishing a cruise at Liverool on the day we plan to fly from MAN but have Priority Pass membership so can use the Escape Lounge or Aspire Lounge at MAN Terminal 1.

I'd appreciate any thoughts about the value of the additional services offered with SAS Plus on flights of this length.
Old Jul 20, 18, 10:10 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Indeed, no lounge in MAN but Olso does have a lounge that you can access And the new SK domestic lounge is very nice. It even includes a gym. The rule for Plus on European flights are SK's own lounges and Star Alliance lounge. For long haul it is SK's own lounges.

I doubt Narvik has a lounge, but I don't know 55 minutes in Oslo may get you time for a coffee in the lounge.
​​​​
Old Jul 21, 18, 10:41 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
I'd recommend Plus, just from looking at the price difference on your itinerary on GF if you have to purchase a bag anyway. Especially if you don't have any status with *A.

Besides from food, drinks and a bit of added comfort, you also get security fast track and priority check-in in MAN. The up front seats also has the added bonus that you reach passport control first when you enter Schengen flying in from the UK. Depending on the other flights arriving in OSL, that could mean you could walk right through passport control.
Old Jul 21, 18, 4:09 pm

1. Plus gives you more miles, depending on which frequent flyer program you are a member of.
2. You get a small meal in Plus.
3. In case of delays to the OSL-LRH flight, it's better to wait in the lounge than in the gate area.
4. Priority baggage.

Also, remember that you can easily book Go one way and Plus the other way.
Old Jul 22, 18, 8:47 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
There are no lounge in Narvik, a Plus itinerary will get you lounge access in OSL only. The same applies to Fast track. Considering that you wil, get a breakfast an airport hotel I would recommend booking Plus only if the price difference is not too different than paying for Go+extra luggage.
Old Jul 22, 18, 7:11 pm
koz
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice you've offered me. For Tuesday 9 July 2019 there is a MAN - OSL flight SK4608 at 19:50 but when I search for MAN - EVE on the SAS website it doesn't show this flight as an available connecting flight to EVE. It only shows various flights that connect through CPH but we would rather book the direct MAN - OSL flight. This connection does show up on skyscanner which links to various travel sites.

I've just called up a local travel agent here in Australia and have been quoted $A227 for Go Light, $A255 for Go and $A395 for Plus Saver. The SAS website quotes 30 Euro or 30 UK pounds for an extra 23kg bag. If I book Go for $255 with one bag included and add the $A53 (30 pounds) for the extra bag that will be $A308 compared with $A395 for Plus Saver so that's $87 extra each and I'm thinking it's probably not worth $A87 (approx 55 Euro) extra to book Plus Saver. The extra miles with Plus won't help us as our Frequent Flyer programs are QF, VA and CX. I can transfer points from my American Express Platinum card to SQ so it may be worth joining Krisflyer to have the miles from the SAS flights posted there rather than have them go nowhere.

We will want to fly from EVE- LHR on Friday 19 July but those flights won't be released for another few days. Looking at prices for Friday 12 July the SAS Go price is $A324.50 and SAS Plus Saver is $A390.60 so adding the 30 Euro ($A48) to $324.50 for SAS Go so at $A372.50 it's only $A18 extra so it will certainly be worth booking Plus Saver for that flight if the prices are similar for July 19th.

Since we will be staying overnight in Oslo are we likely to have any problem requesting that our bags be checked to OSL rather than EVE when we check in at MAN? If that is okay would there still only be one extra bag charge for both flights, as I would expect since it is one through booking, or may they charge the fee separately for both MAN - OSL and OSL - EVE since we're transitting overnight?
Old Jul 23, 18, 4:29 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
You won't have any problem just checking into OSL from MAN and then checking in the next day. With regards to checked luggage, to complicate things, SK always includes luggage on domestic travel and inside Scandinavia - i.e. there's no GoLight within Scandinavia. This means that the luggage you require to purchase check-in for for MAN-OSL and OSL-LHR, you won't need for the domestic legs, if you were to purchase tickets seperately.

Seeing as you are travelling a year out in the future and know your exact flight times/dates, to get the lowest price I would put a price alarm in google flights and then book, when the price drops. I'd expect to be able to puchase at roughly half the price you have been quoted. My prediction is that prices will not be significantly higher than your quotes until April/May 2019.
Old Jul 23, 18, 5:58 am
koz
Original Poster

Thanks groovyfly. If we book a Go fare (I don't want to book Go Light) there will be one bag included and we will still need to purchase an extra bag. If I pay the extra bag fee for the whole MAN - OSL - EVE trip is it correct that I should only be charged the one fee for both flights, even though I will have the bags checked to OSL and then check them in again to EVE the next morning?

I've checked prices for booking the two sectors separately and at current prices it's quite a bit cheaper to book them together. Thanks for the suggestion to put a price alarm in Google flights - I haven't tried that before.

I know I'm planning ahead for the flights but we already have cruises booked, as well as the car rental and two hotels in the Lofoten Islands since I've read that some can sell out quickly in peak season, which is why I have exact dates and flights already planned. After we fly EVE - LHR on July 19 we go on a cruise to Greenland on July 21. I've also already booked our J award flights with CX from SYD to AMS for the start of our trip, which I had to book on the day they were released.

For an airport hotel at OSL we have to decide whether to book one of the two hotels that are at the airport or one of the cheaper ones that are a couple of km away. Considering the flight from MAN arrives at 22:50 it may be easier to be right at the airport so as to not worry about shuttles late at night and then again the next morning.
Old Jul 28, 18, 7:29 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Luggage checked through is usually not held overnight at OSL, so staying overnight at OSL means that you will have to pick up and recheck your luggage.

By all means go for one of the two on-site hotels at OSL. They are quite similar. Radisson Blu is a bit nicer, a bit closer and has a bit better (usually included) breakfast buffet, but Park Inn is more than sufficient. Actually I usually stay at Park Inn, as I often stay on SAS points, where the price difference is much higher than when paid in money.

Avoid the off-site airport hotels. They might be cheaper, but one has to pay for the shuttle (NOK 120 R/T) which negates some of the price difference, and - more important - the shuttle often runs only every half hour.

If one has to stay off-site the brand new Scandic hotel at LillestrÝm is a much better bet. The local train (or airport express train) is much more frequent than the shuttle, travel time is about 15 minutes, and the hotel is literally across the street from the back entrance of the station.

As for Plus vs. Go, there is no lounge or fast track security at EVE (in any case an effective small airport), and lounge access at OSL has been adequately discussed by other. Fast track check-in and security at OSL after your overnight is a good perk though, and you will get free food and drinks in Plus (including alcoholic beverages), whereas GO is just coffee and tea. So if price difference is low (including extra suitcases) go for Plus. No need to hurry in booking. EVE is a popular destination, but there might be campaigns bringing down the total cost.
Old Jul 28, 18, 8:50 pm
koz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksu View Post
Luggage checked through is usually not held overnight at OSL, so staying overnight at OSL means that you will have to pick up and recheck your luggage.

By all means go for one of the two on-site hotels at OSL. They are quite similar. Radisson Blu is a bit nicer, a bit closer and has a bit better (usually included) breakfast buffet, but Park Inn is more than sufficient. Actually I usually stay at Park Inn, as I often stay on SAS points, where the price difference is much higher than when paid in money.

Avoid the off-site airport hotels. They might be cheaper, but one has to pay for the shuttle (NOK 120 R/T) which negates some of the price difference, and - more important - the shuttle often runs only every half hour.

If one has to stay off-site the brand new Scandic hotel at LillestrÝm is a much better bet. The local train (or airport express train) is much more frequent than the shuttle, travel time is about 15 minutes, and the hotel is literally across the street from the back entrance of the station.

As for Plus vs. Go, there is no lounge or fast track security at EVE (in any case an effective small airport), and lounge access at OSL has been adequately discussed by other. Fast track check-in and security at OSL after your overnight is a good perk though, and you will get free food and drinks in Plus (including alcoholic beverages), whereas GO is just coffee and tea. So if price difference is low (including extra suitcases) go for Plus. No need to hurry in booking. EVE is a popular destination, but there might be campaigns bringing down the total cost.
Thanks KSU.

Have you noticed if the prices of the Radisson Blu or the Park Inn ever vary for a certain date like air fares? The non refundable price is a lot cheaper than the flexible rate and I won't rush to book and will wait until I've booked the air ticket but at the moment I'm seeing the same prices each time I look for the date I will need. Since we arrive at OSL at 22:50 I don't want to mess around with shuttles at that time of night so it's definitely worth paying the higher prices for either of the 2 hotels at the airport.

If the prices are not too different after allowing to pay for luggage we've decided that we will book Plus.
Old Jul 29, 18, 12:22 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I do not follow the hotel prices there. When I have paid money to stay there, I have been on business (others have paid), when I have stayed there privately, I usually have used EB points.

I would be surprised, though, if there were to be significant fluctuation far in advance. Closer in, the price will rise.

Search this Thread