Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Five full flights from ARN canceled.

Five full flights from ARN canceled.

Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: A3 *S, LX Sen**, AF Gold
Phew - happy that my recent GVA - CPH flight with Cityjet was fully on time (I guess the issues only relate to the Swedish part of SAS ?).

However, I was surprised to see that my connecting flight CPH - ATH was about 40% full (and it was an A321). Reasons was: just 1h before, an A320 already went for this route, so I guess this one was pretty full...
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:30 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Phew - happy that my recent GVA - CPH flight with Cityjet was fully on time (I guess the issues only relate to the Swedish part of SAS ?).

However, I was surprised to see that my connecting flight CPH - ATH was about 40% full (and it was an A321). Reasons was: just 1h before, an A320 already went for this route, so I guess this one was pretty full...
No, CityJet and SAS Ireland have huge problems. Many flights (especially CityJet) have been precancelled, and they have a huge regularity problem. So you were lucky!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
Since SK tried to be cheap by outsourcing airplanes to cheaper labour, there should be no need to feel sorry for SK at all. This is the bill they should be paying for trying to be cheap.
Honestly I am sick and tired of those “we have no pilots”-fairy tales. If give a crew member a decent contract (and I am not talking about an AF contract) then you don’t have those BS problems!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Why not ask for a refund of the SK ticket and the book with DY or AY if these flights are more convenient for you? In case of cancellation you don't forfeit the right to compensation for cancellation if you request a refund and don't travel on the ticket (however, keep in mind that this does not apply for delay)
Or better yet: Buy the other tickets and try to claim the cost from SAS. They will probably deny but you have nothing to lose.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Vacations in Denmark have ended this weekend, so your A321 was probably packed to the gills on the way back...
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Actually, I really wonder what's going on with SAS Ireland - how bad are their working conditions?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:37 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Flight cancellations out of ARN isn't uncommon. Over the last year, the same smaller airports has had more or less daily cancellations both by SAS and Norwegian. I don't know the reason. I just see it on the departure board when I pass through the airport.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would not be overly concerned Vacation period is over, both for crews and for running at lot of summer destinations and charters.

Check the aircraft type, the current spate of cancellations mainly hit the CRJ fleet operated by City Jet. If not a CRJ, already a lot lower likelihood..
Originally Posted by ksu
WF does cancel for operational reasons, but if any problem on the WF-flight they might reroute you SOG-OSL-ARN instead of SOG-BGO-ARN: SOG has more departures to OSL than to BGO. And WF at SOG are very proactive with connecting passengers when they have irregularities. Earlier this year they phoned me as I was eating early dinner at a local restaurant to tell me that the SOG-BGO I was taking two hours later (the same departure as yours) was running so late that I would miss my connection at BGO, so they had already rerouted me to KSU via OSL

SK4898 (BGO-ARN at 20.05 arr. 21.25 ) is flown by mainline SAS. If this flight should be cancelled, you'll either be rerouted via OSL, e.g. at 19.45, arriving ARN 22.30, or next morning either via OSL or direct at 10.35 arr. ARN 11.55. If you for any reason should miss your flight/connection SAS or WF (SAS is in any case handled by WF at BGO) will reroute you and put you up at a local hotel.

I presume that you are on LX1255 at 19.35 With a connection out of ARN the next evening, there is no reason to fear missing the LX flight. The train is very much slower, and has its own irregularity issues. With 22 hours of connecting time, it is in my opinion extremely unikely that you would miss your LX from ARN.
I never got around to thank you guys: Thank you.

Im sitting in the CPH SAS lounge right now actually!
My connecting flight to GOT is already delayed and it is a CRJ! But I am not panicking yet, since its a CRJ900 and not a CRJ1000.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

WX operate a CR9 fleet....
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
Originally Posted by fransknorge
There is a shortage of pilot in Europe generally and July is logically more affected due to the increased traffic,
We are almost in September now and we are still seeing cancellations. Today from Stockholm: Oslo, Paris, London LHR, and Tallin. Not sure whether it's SAS or SAS Ireland that should have operated those flights but they seem to be cancelling SAS flights as well.

Also, a word of warning to those that prefer newer aircraft: a leased 27-year old MD-82 (OY-RUT) seems to be operating various routes so do check what you are flying with enough time to change/cancel your booking.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Aparently a realtively high share of the Cimber pilots left Denmark for greener pastures after the bankruptcy. It is also not easy to get pilots to relocate to Denmark

Maybe the SK Spain subsidiary should be set up soon. It should not be too difficult to offer more than Vueling for qualified A320 pilots and still save a bunch compared to Scandinavian salary levels
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by ticino
Also, a word of warning to those that prefer newer aircraft: a leased 27-year old MD-82 (OY-RUT) seems to be operating various routes so do check what you are flying with enough time to change/cancel your booking.
If the MD-82 is in good condition I wouldn't mind rather be happy. I was actually kind of sad to see them being phased out a couple of years back!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:04 am

Maybe the SK Spain subsidiary should be set up soon. It should not be too difficult to offer more than Vueling for qualified A320 pilots and still save a bunch compared to Scandinavian salary levels
Spanair 2.0 A320 pilots won't help you solve a CR9 fleet crew problem....?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Spanair 2.0 A320 pilots won't help you solve a CR9 fleet crew problem....?
No, but maybe a way to get capacity flying at a cheaper rate where recruitment potential is bigger.

​​​​​​
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Aparently a realtively high share of the Cimber pilots left Denmark for greener pastures after the bankruptcy. It is also not easy to get pilots to relocate to Denmark
Did you mean that its not easy to relocate pilots to Denmark at the compensation levels that SK offers?

I really doubt its hard to relocate someone to Denmark for the right price and I'm 100% confident that anyone would pick Denmark over Ireland.

Where I usually see Scandinavian companies fail that try to relocate staff or talent to the Nordics is that they offer the same uncompetitive package that the locals get (or usually a bit less) and the excessive cost of living combined with the highest taxes in the world and super high cost for basic services don't make it a very appealing choice compared to the many alternatives pilots have these days.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SK *G, LH *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ticino
It was operating LHR-ARN earlier this week. I opted to fly to HEL via OSL instead as I wasn't sure what kind of an experience OY-RUT would have been. It definitely stood out (and not in a good way) at the gate at LHR T2 - I'm not sure if anyone else operates planes that old there!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.