A rant: Order all drinks at once

Old Jun 20, 18, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
A rant: Order all drinks at once

<rant>My recent two flights on the CPH-EWR route, flying Plus: "Please order all drinks for the entire flight at once". Am I the only one who thinks this is a completely dumb service concept?

Either I actually order heaps, feel like a greedy alcoholic, and my tray is now full of drinks that I may or may not want later in the flight. Or I order two drinks or so for the meal coming up, and then go to the galley later/ask a (if ever) passing-by flight attendant for something, and feel like I'm a nuisance and "the annoying guy who didn't understand the rules". Or I spend the rest of the flight thirsty.

Neither way seems good to me and I think if there are reasonable fares on other carriers I'd choose a different one next time.
</rant>
Old Jun 20, 18, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Zeehe View Post
<rant>My recent two flights on the CPH-EWR route, flying Plus: "Please order all drinks for the entire flight at once". Am I the only one who thinks this is a completely dumb service concept?
Agreed! This is not a service concept, this is no service at all. But that is typical SAS, it is more important for the FA to have time to rest and chat than to do their job.

Either I actually order heaps, feel like a greedy alcoholic, and my tray is now full of drinks that I may or may not want later in the flight.
Yea, especially safe-keeping beers for several hours makes for a great drinking experience.

I think this is not even acceptable in Go, but in Plus it is ridiculous. All other airlines manage to have at least some decent level of in flight service but as said before, SAS cares more about the well being of their employees than of their customers. Sadly, this seems to be very prominent in the Nordics across all of the old grown business. There is no "service" mentality in, Norwegian, Swedish or Danish culture it seems.

At least the younger generation and new businesses get that and change it...

Last edited by fassy; Jun 20, 18 at 5:31 am
Old Jun 20, 18, 5:10 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
I have heard the same announcement and find it ridiculous. Though the FAs did have drinks on the carys for the following meal services, the mid flights snack, and came through the cabin with additional drinks and were happy to serve additional items
​​​​​​
I was wondering what the whole point of the announcement was, as all they managed was to annoy people. And apparently for no reason.
Old Jun 20, 18, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
​​​​​​
I was wondering what the whole point of the announcement was, as all they managed was to annoy people. And apparently for no reason.
More time for the crew to do nothing. Probably some concept thrown at the during the union debates over the working conditions: "Oh well, how about on long hauls you only have to tour the cabin once per meal service with a trolley but then no strikes for the next 10 1/3 months?"
diburning likes this.
Old Jun 20, 18, 5:43 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
More time for the crew to do nothing. Probably some concept thrown at the during the union debates over the working conditions: "Oh well, how about on long hauls you only have to tour the cabin once per meal service with a trolley but then no strikes for the next 10 1/3 months?"
Yeah, I'd get that and hate the concept. But the actual execution was quite a lot of drink rounds. So they announced it but never implemented it. Which I find almost as bad Feel bad for the people who stockpiled. I asked for one drink at a time, and got it And no comments if I wanted more for the rest of the flight.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jun 20, 18 at 5:49 am
Old Jun 20, 18, 5:44 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
This is so tragic that it is comical - SAS Minus strikes again!
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jun 20, 18, 6:59 am

Programs: SK*G
Just flew back in Plus SFO-CPH and thought exactly the same thing. Was it the same thing outbound on the day flight as well? (I managed to score an upgrade on the way out but last time I flew Plus to SFO during the day, the service was 'normal').
Old Jun 20, 18, 7:05 am

Programs: TK Gold
Very annoying indeed. Add to that the confusion between the different products Sas Plus when you fly long-haul and Sas Plus when you fly short-haul. Plus short-haul I can usually order whatever I want from the menu whereas long-haul I should not try to ask for crisps nor chocolate.
Old Jun 20, 18, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Gnopps View Post
Very annoying indeed. Add to that the confusion between the different products Sas Plus when you fly long-haul and Sas Plus when you fly short-haul. Plus short-haul I can usually order whatever I want from the menu whereas long-haul I should not try to ask for crisps nor chocolate.
True, that's another rant. You can have anything, but the crisps - those you have to pay for. Personally I find the SAS service concept completely confusing and inconsistent now.
Old Jun 20, 18, 10:32 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus

Either I actually order heaps, feel like a greedy alcoholic, and my tray is now full of drinks that I may or may not want later in the flight. Or I order two drinks or so for the meal coming up, and then go to the galley later/ask a (if ever) passing-by flight attendant for something, and feel like I'm a nuisance and "the annoying guy who didn't understand the rules". Or I spend the rest of the flight thirsty.

Neither way seems good to me and I think if there are reasonable fares on other carriers I'd choose a different one next time.
</rant>
Experienced the same thing on a recent ARN-EWR flight in "Plus". They even served the avec (with ice!) before the meal. Wasn't a whole lot of ice left 1hrs 45 min later when the coffee was served! Really stupid concept!
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 18, 2:26 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
In GO IAD-CPH, they gave out their 1 free non-alcoholic drink just after take off and long before the meal. I thought it was for purchase so I didn't get any, so we ended up drinking water with our meals. I think they did it to speed up the process so they could chat for longer.

It's ridiculous because in their service concept they said Go get 1 complementary drink when meals are served. This is another reason why I don't fly SK unless they are dirt cheap.
Old Jun 20, 18, 2:39 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by SK1989 View Post
Experienced the same thing on a recent ARN-EWR flight in "Plus". They even served the avec (with ice!) before the meal. Wasn't a whole lot of ice left 1hrs 45 min later when the coffee was served! Really stupid concept!
That is just pathetic, Plus is no exactly a give away price wise.

I can only encourage everyone to provide feedback to SK. While it probably just triggers a non committal blah blah blah as an answer hopefully they will note passengers are not happy.

Not looking forward to experiencing the full brunt of this concepts.
Old Jun 20, 18, 11:48 pm

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Angry

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
... SAS cares more about the well being of their employees than of their customers. Sadly, this seems to be very prominent in the Nordics across all of the old grown business.
While I agree with your sentiment that this idea of catering is very very stupid, I cannot agree with your language in this case. Most businesses, at least in developed countries, care, and should care more for their employees than for customers. A business owns respect to its people.

SK, obviously struggles to find a good solution to balance this. Either due to inherent tensions, or due to simple stupidity of its managers. Possibly the demands of SK employees are unreasonable, even given the job market conditions in Scandinavia. Still, blatant statements calling employers to treat employees like commodity, in order to prioritize customers --- unacceptable for me.
Frizzy likes this.
Old Jun 21, 18, 12:43 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
I cannot agree on your statement, SK2751. The main focus of any company must be the customer, that's the whole reason why a business (hence a company) exists in the first place. This said, a company and its managers must of course also respect its employees and prepare an environment that they can live a decent life.
The main challenge is that there is - sometimes fierce - competition in the service industry and for SAS to compete with lower cost countries is not an easy task. I think that it is not even the majority of SAS employees that have a wrong attitude, I think it is maybe more a struggle between the union and the management where the union wants to negotiate some benefits they can "sell" to the staff. I don't think it should matter for the flight attendant on duty to do an extra round of drink service to the Plus customers.
Old Jun 21, 18, 12:48 am

2019 Secret Santa

I wonder if SK cut staffing on the long haul flights, and this is the counter demand from the employee side. ..

Search this Thread