Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

24 Hour Refund Policy - Beware!

24 Hour Refund Policy - Beware!

Old May 31, 18, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Exclamation 24 Hour Refund Policy - Beware!

As I understand it, US law requires that tickets purchased directly from airlines may be cancelled within 24 hours for a full refund. In fact, the SAS website states “A journey booked on flysas.com within the last 24 hours can be cancelled online through "Find/change booking." Retrieve your reservation and select "Cancel booking" at the bottom. The money will be refunded to your account/credit card within 3-4 business days.”

Well apparently there are very few "business days" at the SAS refund department in Rutherford NJ. I called one afternoon and a recording advised that they only work in the morning and advised me to send an email to inquire as to the status of my refund. I did that, and did so again the next day. Received "read" receipts for both, but not the courtesy of a reply or even acknowledgment. After about two weeks, I opened a "dispute" claim with my credit card company and finally SAS processed the refund rather than face legal consequences.

I used to think SAS was a reputable company, but I now have serious doubts. You've been warned.

Last edited by RideThe22A; May 31, 18 at 5:39 am
Old May 31, 18, 5:48 am

Programs: SK-EBD
I have never had any issue with automatic refund. And I ‘regret’ SK-tickets some 10 times a year.’

So I am not so sure, there is anything in general to 'beware of'.

But I noticed last time (late April) that it took 10 calendar days to refund me. Normally it takes 3-5 days.
Old May 31, 18, 5:51 am
AHO

Maybe it's US only thing?
Same as Tango Alpha, I have never had problem getting refund when 24 hours cancellation policy was applied. But I am based in Sweden.
Old May 31, 18, 6:32 am
aju

Programs: SK Diamond *G
Originally Posted by RideThe22A View Post
As I understand it, US law requires that tickets purchased directly from airlines may be cancelled within 24 hours for a full refund. In fact, the SAS website states “A journey booked on flysas.com within the last 24 hours can be cancelled online through "Find/change booking." Retrieve your reservation and select "Cancel booking" at the bottom. The money will be refunded to your account/credit card within 3-4 business days.”

Well apparently there are very few "business days" at the SAS refund department in Rutherford NJ. I called one afternoon and a recording advised that they only work in the morning and advised me to send an email to inquire as to the status of my refund. I did that, and did so again the next day. Received "read" receipts for both, but not the courtesy of a reply or even acknowledgment. After about two weeks, I opened a "dispute" claim with my credit card company and finally SAS processed the refund rather than face legal consequences.

I used to think SAS was a reputable company, but I now have serious doubts. You've been warned.
My experience is the opposite. SAS has always as far as I can remember had 24 hour cancellation policy, also outside the US.

Last year there was a sale and I booked eight legs one way to lock in the price. The following day, I cancelled six of them. Also, as I book for several other people in an organisation, I've cancelled about ten bookings the last year, all within 24 hours, and all without a hitch. Payment has always been within one to three business days.
Old May 31, 18, 7:01 am

I have also had the same experience of not receiving some refunds (this was in 2017 or so). But once I contacted them by email, the refund was issued with a "hmm, not sure what happened" kind of apology.
Old May 31, 18, 7:22 am

I have never experienced any issues in cancelling tickets - have always worked like a charm.
OP might have hit a bit of bad luck with SAS. Glad to hear you got it solved.
Old May 31, 18, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Well, the verdict is in. The problem isn't with SAS. The problem is with their US refund department in New Jersey. Didn't even get a reply to two emails, let alone a refund, until my credit card company intervened on my behalf.

Maybe SAS needs to process refunds at CPH or wherever, and not in the US. Sad, but true.

Thanks everybody for your inputs.
Old May 31, 18, 1:34 pm

My refund issue was with SAS Norway.
Old May 31, 18, 11:01 pm

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
I have cancelled about 100 tickets both within the 24h window and fully refundable Plus tickets. Only once was my "refunded" ticket NOT paid back to my credit card which I had to chase, otherwise always automatically refunded, albeit with a very varying pattern, sometimes in a couple of days, sometimes 20 days. That's why I started to keep an excel where I track all my refundable tickets in columns such as bought tix, cancel date, refund date, check bank account date. Just to be idiot proof
Old Jun 1, 18, 1:22 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Tickets cancelled within the window usually get very prompt refunds in Sweden. Cancelled AWARD TICKETS, however, take anywhere up to a month to get the taxes repaid, in my experience (2 x in the past 2 months).
Old Jun 2, 18, 10:10 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
I cancelled many tickets in the past; within the 24h window and afterwards; refundable and non-refundable. Never had a problem. But I have never thought of using email for this? 2-3 times it happened that money was not showing up for a longer period, so I called up the customer service and they have always fixed things without a whim.
Old Jun 2, 18, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by RideThe22A View Post

Let's not be over-dramatic. There were and are no "legal consequences".

Chargeback disputes are a dime a dozen and the sole consequence is that the vendor (air carrier)'s account is debited and the customer's is credited unless the vendor can supply an acceptable explanation.

In fact, my advice is not to do as much as you did. Make the request, wait a reasonable period of time and then initiate the chargeback dispute. It's generally an online process, you should see at least a temporary credit within a few hours and then a permanent credit once the vendor has had an opportunity to respond.
Old Jun 2, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBD (*G), BA Bronze, KLM Gold, Emirates Silver
Had plenty of refunds, no probs, usually in a few days.

A bit longer on a complicated US itineary recently.
Old Jun 21, 19, 10:51 am

Programs: A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I had to cancel a ticket on June 10th and haven't received anything yet.
Cancelled within 24 hours and am now waiting for the refund.
Just got off the phone with SAS and they say it currently takes at least 2 weeks from the day of cancellation for refunds to be issued.
Well, that's almost up so I'm hoping that the amount will be back on my CC sometime next week.
Fingers crossed...

Sidenote: Ticket was bought in the US.
Old Jun 22, 19, 1:04 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Never had a problem. Once I had to call with a reminder. Some case have been dropped, but rectified very quickly after my reminder. Overall 2 weeks for a refund, especially in an unusually busy period for claim handling department, is completely alright. Most airlines can't do this so fast.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: