Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS hopes to begin CPH-HND, ARN-NRT by 2020

SAS hopes to begin CPH-HND, ARN-NRT by 2020

Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
I wonder if ANA will be offering feeder flights from either MMX or CPH, I'd rather change planes to fly with ANA.
HND-ARN-MMX is something I would avoid. Not only do I find using MMX to be more of a hassle because of it being out of the way more than CPH for me, I also dislike international-to-domestic transfers at ARN. That is even as I am fine with domestic-to-international transfers at ARN.

I feel like SAS has given up largely on the idea of ARN being to SK what HEL is to AY, when it comes to Asia-Pacific travel.

I would be surprised if NH can sustain more than 3 or 4 flights a week to ARN on a year round basis. I wouldn’t be surprised if such NH route is history — as in sort of like USAir/American at ARN — before even 2025 is over.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
HND-ARN-MMX is something I would avoid. Not only do I find using MMX to be more of a hassle because of it being out of the way more than CPH for me, I also dislike international-to-domestic transfers at ARN. That is even as I am fine with domestic-to-international transfers at ARN.

I feel like SAS has given up largely on the idea of ARN being to SK what HEL is to AY, when it comes to Asia-Pacific travel.

I would be surprised if NH can sustain more than 3 or 4 flights a week to ARN on a year round basis. I wouldn’t be surprised if such NH route is history — as in sort of like USAir/American at ARN — before even 2025 is over.
True, no idea of NH requires customs clearance at ARN. Learned the lesson after a SK irrop and flew LH + SK back to MMX via ARN. My flight was delayed and I was at T5 and I had 35 minutes before my MMX flight depart and the bags were nowhere to be seen. Asked SK ground staff and he told us to just leave the bags and ran to T4 - we made it because the flight to MMX was delayed. I told the GA that we haven't got our bags and she said we should never have been to the gate without re-checking our bags...... I told her that the baggage services said if we don't make the flight we will be seen as no-show which means no free rebooking.

AY has a good coverage to Asia, am I missing something?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: SK-EBD
CPH-HND is confirmed for startup summer 2020. SAS is calling the schedule 'attractive' but no mention of actual timetable.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
CPH-HND is confirmed for startup summer 2020. SAS is calling the schedule 'attractive' but no mention of actual timetable.
Awesome! What about CPH-NRT?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I would call the (expected) 6am arrival in to Haneda as attractive, but the 8:45am return is not attractive. 8:45am is OK, it works. But not attractive.

I wonder if they are lobbying for better times, or they plan to leave the plane in Haneda waiting for an overnight return. Now that would be attractive. Or maybe they are just running with the marketing spin.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Dec 9, 2019 at 2:48 am
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
Awesome! What about CPH-NRT?
CPH NRT will be ended. It is at the end of the press release.

https://www.sasgroup.net/en/sas-to-o...ute-to-haneda/

So one daily Stockholm with ANA and one Daily Copenhagen with SK
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would call the (expected) 6am arrival in to Haneda as attractive, but the 8:45am return is not attractive. 8:45am is OK, it works. But not attractive.

I wonder if they are lobbying for better times, or they plan to leave the plane in Haneda waiting for an overnight return. Now that would attractive. Or maybe they are just running with the marketing spin.
The times you are refering to hasn't been confirmed, AFIAK?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The times you are refering to hasn't been confirmed, AFIAK?
No. They are only rumours.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:07 am

CPH-HND 14:05 - 07:55+1.
HND-CPH 11:50 - 16:10

Are the presumed slots.

This is fairly quite good imo.
Tango Alpha likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:18 am
Suspended

I wonder if they could park the plane for the day and use the easier available nighttime slots to have an overnight back to Copenhagen, coming in around 6am?(apart from the obvious cost disadvantage of doing so) or add a tag.
That sounds like it would be a sub-optimal use of an expensive asset in a business where a major key to financial success is to maximize the ratio of the asset’s revenue-generating hours to its non-revenue-generating hours. And airlines seem to want to migrate away from the business of regional tags added before or after a long-haul flight.

3-4.5 hours seems closer to be the preferred maximum time for an international long-haul turnaround than 6+ hours.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds like it would be a sub-optimal use of an expensive asset in a business where a major key to financial success is to maximize the ratio of the asset’s revenue-generating hours to its non-revenue-generating hours. And airlines seem to want to migrate away from the business of regional tags added before or after a long-haul flight.

3-4.5 hours seems closer to be the preferred maximum time for an international long-haul turnaround than 6+ hours.
It is a subobtimal use. But far more common than one would assume. Qantas coming in to Haneda at 6am returns at 10pm, ANA flying Haneda to Sydney arrives in Sydney around 8am and returns to Haneda around 9pm. The European carriers in Bangkok tend to arrive early afternoon and depart after around midnight.

There are plenty of examples, some as the return flight just does not work with a shorter layover, some maybe because the airlines belive they can charge a higher price for a more convenient departure time.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aznhandles
CPH-HND 14:05 - 07:55+1.
HND-CPH 11:50 - 16:10

Are the presumed slots.

This is fairly quite good imo.
That would be quite an improvement over the initial indicators. Hope that it has swung that way.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: More than one

The bird is parked in HKG for 9 hours before it returns to CPH. As far as I know LH does the same together with other airlines.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

It is a subobtimal use. But far more common than one would assume. Qantas coming in to Haneda at 6am returns at 10pm, ANA flying Haneda to Sydney arrives in Sydney around 8am and returns to Haneda around 9pm. The European carriers in Bangkok tend to arrive early afternoon and depart after around midnight.

There are plenty of examples, some as the return flight just does not work with a shorter layover, some maybe because the airlines belive they can charge a higher price for a more convenient departure time.
I know it’s done even by far more profitable airlines than SK and LH — as US carriers do this too with southern cone destinations in the Americas. But it also is why some airlines have tried the regional international tag since its an attempt to reduce the sub-optimal angle of it unless there is a maintenance kind of aspect to it.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I do not know what is the required crew rest time, but 9h sounds like another useful amount of hours from that perspective. Couldn't it be that they can return with the same crew?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.