Wiki Posts
Search

SAS name on ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More
SAS name on ticket

The "given name" written on the passport includes two names (e.g. "X Y"), but I only gave the first one ("X") when buying the ticket.
Will that be an issue and should I try to change it?
If so, does someone have a contact email for SAS name changes?

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I never use my middle name to book a ticket but give my full details at check-in with the passport details. Never had any issues with SAS.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, SK Gold
It does not matter at all, first given name and surname is what matters.

You will be fine, don't bother thinking about it.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I never use my middle name and it has never been an issue.

Your question has been asked numerous times in here (in various threads) and the reply is always: it makes no difference/it is not going to be an issue at check-in. So there is absolutely no reason to worry about it.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: EBD, MM FTL
maybe a follow up question: If one has two first names and two surnames (separated by a space) like "John Peter Smith Miller", and is usually referred to as "John Smith", would that work too? I.e. booking with John Smith even though the passport states all 4 names?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:52 pm

I've only used my first and last name when booking tickets, and that has been fine, even to high security countries such as Israel.

I've also made several flights with SAS and other airlines with my kids when I only booked the ticket under middle and last name, i.e. instead of writing "Neil Alden Armstrong" as spelled in the passport, I've booked them as "Alden Armstrong," and I've never even had questions asked. (Not that any of my kids are actually named Neil Armstrong, but they're sometimes in orbit when I'm telling them to brush their teeth and go to bed.)
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by protub
maybe a follow up question: If one has two first names and two surnames (separated by a space) like "John Peter Smith Miller", and is usually referred to as "John Smith", would that work too? I.e. booking with John Smith even though the passport states all 4 names?
By Scandinavian standards (at least Danish) there is ONE surname only. All other names are considered given names. (basically there is no middle name). But in your example, it MIGHT be a problem, since THE surname is Miller.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
By Scandinavian standards (at least Danish) there is ONE surname only. All other names are considered given names. (basically there is no middle name). But in your example, it MIGHT be a problem, since THE surname is Miller.
The Danish name rules are different than the Swedish name rules.

Sweden has more categories of names than simply given names + one surname only.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More
Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: NZ*G, QRPC Gold
Resurrecting this thread - hoping for a non-issue confirmation.

Booked a domestic flight OSL-BGO, but inadvertently as LASTNAME FIRSTNAME instead of FIRSTNAME LASTNAME. Only figured this out after Manage my booking failedt to accept my Booking reference until entering my FIRSTNAME. It's well beyond 24hrs since making the booking. Travel isn't until August 2019.

Both names are correctly spelt as in the passport, just "backwards," (after a booking frenzy with various airlines' websites).

Thanks all!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HaaZe
Resurrecting this thread - hoping for a non-issue confirmation.

Booked a domestic flight OSL-BGO, but inadvertently as LASTNAME FIRSTNAME instead of FIRSTNAME LASTNAME. Only figured this out after Manage my booking failedt to accept my Booking reference until entering my FIRSTNAME. It's well beyond 24hrs since making the booking. Travel isn't until August 2019.

Both names are correctly spelt as in the passport, just "backwards," (after a booking frenzy with various airlines' websites).

Thanks all!
OSL-BGO had no passport/ID check IME; and even if they do if checking in bags, a name order being backwards may not even be noticed or cause an issue as long as your booking reference is used using the name from the last name field as per the ticketed booking.

My biggest problem from such situations even on international flights where the US passports are checked: getting airline frequent flyer program-related benefits/credit. For the elite status benefits, having your frequent flyer card to show helps with some of them; for the mileage credit, requesting missing mileage credit usually works.

Enjoy your trip.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: NZ*G, QRPC Gold
Thank you!

Originally Posted by GUWonder
OSL-BGO had no passport/ID check IME; and even if they do if checking in bags, a name order being backwards may not even be noticed or cause an issue as long as your booking reference is used using the name from the last name field as per the ticketed booking.

My biggest problem from such situations even on international flights where the US passports are checked: getting airline frequent flyer program-related benefits/credit. For the elite status benefits, having your frequent flyer card to show helps with some of them; for the mileage credit, requesting missing mileage credit usually works.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks so much! I thought so much. I can always retro credit the SK flight to NZ Airpoints later.

My biggest giggle would be if I was to run late and have to be paged to board the flight at Gardermoen...

"Will passenger FIRSTNAME please proceed immediately to gate for boarding" LOL
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HaaZe
Thanks so much! I thought so much. I can always retro credit the SK flight to NZ Airpoints later.

My biggest giggle would be if I was to run late and have to be paged to board the flight at Gardermoen...

"Will passenger FIRSTNAME please proceed immediately to gate for boarding" LOL
I am pretty sure that there are even some international (yet intra-Schengen) SK flights where I could probably fly as Mickey Mousee and no one would bat an eye. Maybe next time it's time to book "Fly Ing Mouse".
SK2751 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
It happened to me at least once on an IRROPs ticket that was wrongly issued. I think SK re-booked me to LO (but can't be sure, whether it wasn't the other way). They could not get my status benefits to work. The check in agent discovered but did not even blink -- somehow worked around my luggage allowance. I think I had given up getting FFP credits for that flight though. On a domestic flight in Norway you're not gonna have any issues, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.