Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Distance between LHR and ARN [type 1 EC261/2004?]

Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold

I just received a reply rom SAS denying my EC261/2004 request. The reason was

"Kindly note that according to EU regulation 261/2004 compensation is paid out when delay is three hours or more. In your case delay is less than three hours (2h 05min), therefore we are sorry to say but cannot honor your claim. We do hope that you will choose SAS for your upcoming flights as your valued costumer....."

I thought the shortest, great circle distance between LHR and ARN is 792 nm, 1466 km, so I thought type 1 in Article 8 in EC261/2004 should apply?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:40 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
You are correct.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
SK may going by the IATA published distances by city pairs. These are not exactly equivalent to the great circle mapping for the city pairs. JAL uses the IATA distances, and as a result Tokyo to London is a longer flight than Tokyo to Paris, and both of them (or all four of them as Tokyo can mean both Haneda and Narita) are longer than the great circle track. I would imagine that as the IATA numbers are an industry standard that would be accepted as a calculation base if that is where the problem come from.

All that being said, I would query SK why they set ARN to LHR as a category two flight if it was me.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its 863mi(1388 KM) as per IATA:

Code:
fqmlhrarn
FQM LON STO CTY DC TPM CUM MPM DC LVL <HGL >LWL 25M XTRA LON 2 STO 2 EH 863 863 1035 EH 0M 172 0 1293 0 > PAGE 1/ 1
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:50 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
SK may going by the IATA published distances by city pairs. These are not exactly equivalent to the great circle mapping for the city pairs. JAL uses the IATA distances, and as a result Tokyo to London is a longer flight than Tokyo to Paris, and both of them (or all four of them as Tokyo can mean both Haneda and Narita) are longer than the great circle track. I would imagine that as the IATA numbers are an industry standard that would be accepted as a calculation base if that is where the problem come from.

All that being said, I would query SK why they set ARN to LHR as a category two flight if it was me.
Interesting, I was not aware of this. I guess it does make sense to have some official/standard distance between city pairs.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
Regardless of how they count the distance, whether it's LON-STO or LHR-ARN, your flight is type 1 (1500km or less). The eligibility for compensation depends on whether you were rerouted or whether you took the original flight which was delayed. If you were rerouted and, in case of type 1 flight, arrived 2+ hrs later than originally scheduled you would be entitled to 250 eur compensation. This amount is halved if the arrival time is with a delay of less than 2 hrs. If you took the original flight and arrived with a delay of less than 3 hours, you would not be entitled to any compensation, only to duty of care whilst delayed.

Last edited by palcsaky; Mar 12, 2018 at 4:10 am
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Its 863mi(1388 KM) as per IATA:
Code:
fqmlhrarn
Code:
FQM LON STO

CTY DC TPM CUM MPM DC LVL <HGL >LWL 25M XTRA
LON 2
STO 2 EH 863 863 1035 EH 0M 172 0 1293 0
> PAGE 1/ 1
Just out of curiosity, what are the various numbers apart from the distance?

Strangely enough IATA sets it shorter than the great circle distance. Interesting.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
See page 6 of this pdf: http://www.amadeus.com/pk/documents/...%20Pricing.pdf

Usually a shorter TPM is better for you when you try to squeeze in segments under a MPM limit...
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
See page 6 of this pdf: http://www.amadeus.com/pk/documents/...%20Pricing.pdf

Usually a shorter TPM is better for you when you try to squeeze in segments under a MPM limit...
Thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.