Wiki Posts
Search

SAS, CPH and the lockout

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, Silver
SAS, CPH and the lockout

With the danish government having threatened to do a lockout from the 10th of April, how will that affect people flying to and from CPH with SAS? The danish news are of course more focused on how it will effect the health care system and public transportation.
So I am wondering if there is someone with more insight than me, who knows what we as flyers should expect.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:47 pm

A couple of things:
1. It is only the public sector that is affected. Copenhagen airport is a private enterprise, so not immediatelty affected. Air controllers could in theory be affected - but I doubt it as they would be deemed critical
2. Public transport to and from the airport could be affected
3. A potential conflict will start no earlier than April 10 - and would most likely be pushed an additional 2 weeks - and maybe even another two weeks - brining it to May 8th
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:22 am

Sorry for the ignorance... but I’m not following Danish news. Care to help with a short summary what is going on?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
Sorry for the ignorance... but I’m not following Danish news. Care to help with a short summary what is going on?
The collective agreements for public employment are being negotiated currently. The current agreement runs until March 31st. The parties seems to be pretty far from agreement, and as is not unusual the employee side has announced a strike for certain groups Then, less usual, the state employer side announced quite sweeping lockouts (employer side equivalent to a strike where employee are sent home) and the municipalities as employers quick followed this up with a sweeping lockout as well The announced strikes can start April 1st the lockouts April 10th. Negotiations are ongoing, but will probably take a break if not finalised on the day the current agreements expires.

Forligsinstitutionen (not really sure why that is in English and too lazy to Google) is where they will meet for arbitration, and the leader of the arbitration has the legal power to delay both strikes and lockout for two times 14 days if they believe that an agreement is within reach

The strikes are only for public employees, and with the list published so far, ATC is not included Though trains will be. Busses and the Metro are operated by private companies on contract with public entities so I don't think they will be affected The airport and SK are private entities with a government ownershare so they are not included.

(sorry not really short )
James91 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:58 pm

As the employees organisation has approached this with a very one-dimensional (all or nothing approach) tt seems likely that a conflict will be the outcome, it is just a question of whether it will be postponed 2 or 4 weeks. Equally likely is that it will be relative short (my personal guess is within 10 days) - before the Parlament will intervene. My sympathy is with students in high-school and similar where this has the potential to disturb their exam.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Okay I need help. I am so unfamiliar with strikes and lockouts and now I'm dealing with two of them simultaneously. This isn't a thing that happens where I'm from (Florida). And I'm a student at both the University of Sheffield (currently on strike during a ridiculously important point in my course) and a guest researcher at the University of Aarhus. I am kind of freaking out a little bit. It's my understanding that I could get locked out of my office at AU? I'm pretty freaked out at the lack of information I'm able to get right now.

I have travel plans in both the first week of April and the first week of May. One involves the possibility of driving back to Aarhus from Poland. I was considering flying from Poland to AAR or BLL. The only problem with that was I had been considering not going back with the group and travelling back from Poland separately. The other I'm arriving into CPH and had planned my usual train route to Aarhus the following day after a night in Malmo (which now looks like an impossibility...). Before I leave, should I get my stuff out of my office that I need to work so that I'll have access to it when I come back? And should I arrange to take the Kombardo Express or a flight connection from CPH to AAR or BLL or something? Should I just stay in England? Ugh. At least their strike would be over by then - hopefully...
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AStarr
Okay I need help. I am so unfamiliar with strikes and lockouts and now I'm dealing with two of them simultaneously. This isn't a thing that happens where I'm from (Florida). And I'm a student at both the University of Sheffield (currently on strike during a ridiculously important point in my course) and a guest researcher at the University of Aarhus. I am kind of freaking out a little bit. It's my understanding that I could get locked out of my office at AU? I'm pretty freaked out at the lack of information I'm able to get right now.

I have travel plans in both the first week of April and the first week of May. One involves the possibility of driving back to Aarhus from Poland. I was considering flying from Poland to AAR or BLL. The only problem with that was I had been considering not going back with the group and travelling back from Poland separately. The other I'm arriving into CPH and had planned my usual train route to Aarhus the following day after a night in Malmo (which now looks like an impossibility...). Before I leave, should I get my stuff out of my office that I need to work so that I'll have access to it when I come back? And should I arrange to take the Kombardo Express or a flight connection from CPH to AAR or BLL or something? Should I just stay in England? Ugh. At least their strike would be over by then - hopefully...
The lockout in Aarhus as far as it applies to you, a lot of university positions are included, would probably not be a physical block from going to the office and picking up some stuff. It is basically being sent on unpaid leave. I can't imagine that universities will become a place of picket lines, but don't expect to be able to sit in the office and work (unpaid) all day.

If I were you, I would contact the HR department and ask for potential consequences. They will not know specifics of who and when. But they should know general expectations of the flow..
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The lockout in Aarhus as far as it applies to you, a lot of university positions are included, would probably not be a physical block from going to the office and picking up some stuff. It is basically being sent on unpaid leave. I can't imagine that universities will become a place of picket lines, but don't expect to be able to sit in the office and work (unpaid) all day.

If I were you, I would contact the HR department and ask for potential consequences. They will not know specifics of who and when. But they should know general expectations of the flow..
I can't imagine picket lines are the university here for this but over are my home university in Sheffield it's quite a different story in that regard...

I'm just going to get my stuff from my office next week before I leave. I'm not paid here nor do I pay to be here - Sheffield handles all of this. But I do have work to complete for Sheffield while I'm in Aarhus on top of the work for Aarhus. So the stuff for Aarhus will be set aside.

Feels like juggling. Still need to figure out the logistics of getting to/from CPH and Aarhus during those times. Do you have an idea which services might be running?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:39 am

I can't imagine picket lines are the university here for this but over are my home university in Sheffield it's quite a different story in that regard...

I'm just going to get my stuff from my office next week before I leave. I'm not paid here nor do I pay to be here - Sheffield handles all of this. But I do have work to complete for Sheffield while I'm in Aarhus on top of the work for Aarhus. So the stuff for Aarhus will be set aside.

Feels like juggling. Still need to figure out the logistics of getting to/from CPH and Aarhus during those times. Do you have an idea which services might be running?
There is very little information to be had right now (more information during this week). Anyhow the show is not really starting until April 10th - and will almost certainly be pushed 2 weeks - and potentially another 2 weeks. Keep that in mind.
IF (and it is still an IF) there is lockout expect it to relative short 1-2 weeks max.
And lock-out is in your case not to be taken literally (I would expect).

As to transport - planes will fly. Private coaches will drive, trains will most likely run, car sharing services will be there.
All in all a minor inconvenience for many people. For some people a major hazzle (e.g. high school students in middle of finals, persons locked out with no salary, etc)
AStarr likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
There is very little information to be had right now (more information during this week). Anyhow the show is not really starting until April 10th - and will almost certainly be pushed 2 weeks - and potentially another 2 weeks. Keep that in mind.
IF (and it is still an IF) there is lockout expect it to relative short 1-2 weeks max.
And lock-out is in your case not to be taken literally (I would expect).

As to transport - planes will fly. Private coaches will drive, trains will most likely run, car sharing services will be there.
All in all a minor inconvenience for many people. For some people a major hazzle (e.g. high school students in middle of finals, persons locked out with no salary, etc)
This is the sort of reassurance I need.

Thanks! I've been in a minor state of panic given I'm currently dealing with my other university being on strike right now so logistics of everything have just been... uncertain. And I loathe uncertainty.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I expect irregular train services, but DSB has been included in strike/lockout warnings.

If it is very important to be certain of the transport, my best option would be to book one of the coach companies now. They are not very expensive, and time wise not too bad compared to the train anyway. Probably just a bit less comfy for working. Don't know if it can be cancelled if the trains are are running on the specifics dates, but this would be the better safe than sorry option.
AStarr likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:31 pm

I expect irregular train services, but DSB has been included in strike/lockout warnings.

If it is very important to be certain of the transport, my best option would be to book one of the coach companies now. They are not very expensive, and time wise not too bad compared to the train anyway. Probably just a bit less comfy for working. Don't know if it can be cancelled if the trains are are running on the specifics dates, but this would be the better safe than sorry option.
Me and a bus trip of anything over an hour do not go well together. I barely manage the trip from Vejle to Billund/Aarhus airport to Aarhus Central/Copenhagen to Sjællands Odde without being ill as it is.

I have the option in April to be driven back from Poland rather than fly and I'll most likely try to plan for that option. In May, if things are looking like that is going to be delayed, I'll go for the Kombardo Express (I'm guessing that's privately held?) as the ferry drops off in Aarhus practically at my front door. The bus to the ferry makes me physically ill but I've managed okay with that one in the past.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me and a bus trip of anything over an hour do not go well together. I barely manage the trip from Vejle to Billund/Aarhus airport to Aarhus Central/Copenhagen to Sjællands Odde without being ill as it is.

I have the option in April to be driven back from Poland rather than fly and I'll most likely try to plan for that option. In May, if things are looking like that is going to be delayed, I'll go for the Kombardo Express (I'm guessing that's privately held?) as the ferry drops off in Aarhus practically at my front door. The bus to the ferry makes me physically ill but I've managed okay with that one in the past.
As far as I know, the ferries are private companies So not affected.

​​​​​
AStarr likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:56 am

I stand corrected as I just learned today that the persons overseing the signal are affect = no/few/slow trains.
Ferries and busses will continue - (almost) all privately held.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stand corrected as I just learned today that the persons overseing the signal are affect = no/few/slow trains.
Ferries and busses will continue - (almost) all privately held.
I thought it was DSB, but it is actually Bane Danmark that will be hit. But as far as I understand that does not hit the metro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.