Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS, CPH and the lockout

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:40 am

Strike Likely

https://www.thelocal.dk/20180412/lockout-looms-with-no-agreement-between-danish-unions-authorities

Not looking good at this point. Strike on, unless something happens on Sunday?

Last edited by Gigi2018; Apr 13, 2018 at 10:04 am Reason: Spel bad
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Gigi2018
https://www.thelocal.dk/20180412/lockout-looms-with-no-agreement-between-danish-unions-authorities

Not looking good at this point. Strike on, unless something happens on Sunday?
There will be negotiations all weekend, and they can still postpone it once more if they are getting closer to making a deal. But no, it isn't looking good.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The current arbitration period runs until Tuesday. If there is no agreement by then there are two options.

1. The arbitration is extended another two weeks. The arbiter needs to feel convinced that there is a possibility to reach an agreement but does not need to submit any arguments as why she feels that is possible

2. Heading in to strike and subsequently lockout The strike can start 5 days after the end of the arbitration period, and if I remember correctly, the lockout is announced to hit two days after that There will be no negotiations in the 5 period

Initially I felt reasonably convinced there would be no strike, now I am more doubtful on that view. I think we may get another extension, as out of the three areas (state, regional and local) only one seems difficult at the moment. But let's see. Challenging that the unions have said 'all or none'
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The current arbitration period runs until Tuesday. If there is no agreement by then there are two options.

1. The arbitration is extended another two weeks. The arbiter needs to feel convinced that there is a possibility to reach an agreement but does not need to submit any arguments as why she feels that is possible

2. Heading in to strike and subsequently lockout The strike can start 5 days after the end of the arbitration period, and if I remember correctly, the lockout is announced to hit two days after that There will be no negotiations in the 5 period

Initially I felt reasonably convinced there would be no strike, now I am more doubtful on that view. I think we may get another extension, as out of the three areas (state, regional and local) only one seems difficult at the moment. But let's see. Challenging that the unions have said 'all or none'
Did we ever get any idea on what will happen to air travel in Denmark during the strike/lockout if it occurs?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AStarr
Did we ever get any idea on what will happen to air travel in Denmark during the strike/lockout if it occurs?
There is no clear picture. As the potential impact is not coming from a group of employees directly related to air travel. The main point seems to be that the meteorological agency will go on strike, which could have an influence on weather information submitted to the airport and to airlines.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:57 pm

There is no clear picture. As the potential impact is not coming from a group of employees directly related to air travel. The main point seems to be that the meteorological agency will go on strike, which could have an influence on weather information submitted to the airport and to airlines.
Even though it was mentioned earlier that it could be possible to get weather information from two nearby airports in Sweden and Germany, would this comply with airlines' and pilot unions' policies about this sort of situation? Do they even have policies for such a specific set of circumstances?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gigi2018
Even though it was mentioned earlier that it could be possible to get weather information from two nearby airports in Sweden and Germany, would this comply with airlines' and pilot unions' policies about this sort of situation? Do they even have policies for such a specific set of circumstances?
That's part of the open question mark.

One point what will this truly mean for airport operations. No one has made a clear point about that.

Second point, part of the meteorological agency are very likely employees who are employed in a way where they can't strike or be lockout'ed, meaning certain areas are selected to be affected Will that include areas affecting air traffic?

Only time will tell I guess.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One additional point that could also affect the airport, the police will be partially on strike. Meaning passport control resources will then be reduced. Which could lead to increased waiting time for Schengen <=> non Schengen passengers..

Passport control in Denmark is always done by the police.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:40 am

I'm due to fly AAR-CPH-MAN on the 29th, and LHR-CPH on the 5th... any idea SAS policy for rebooking in such a situation? I can make the drive to Hamburg and fly someone else if necessary. But l absolutely need to be in England that Monday.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm due to fly AAR-CPH-MAN on the 29th, and LHR-CPH on the 5th... any idea SAS policy for rebooking in such a situation? I can make the drive to Hamburg and fly someone else if necessary. But l absolutely need to be in England that Monday.
If absolutely necessary, I would probably book a back up ticket from Hamburg that's refundable. Better safe than sorry.. . And there may quickly be a run on the tickets if the strike starts

Only you can judge the degree of your plight if you don't reach your destination
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:02 am

Easy now.

While a conflict is very likely the direct impact on air travel is most likely very limitted.
Weather reports can and will be taken from e.g Swedish services (according to CPH).
Traffic controllers. Max 100 out of 650 traffic controllers can be affectef = relative minimal effect. E.g. flyovers can be handled by Eurocontrol
Passport control. Potential longer lines - but no shut down of course.
Trains to/from airport will not run however. BUT the Metro will continue to be in operation.

I have multiple trips in the comming weeks and i expect no/minimal issues. There is no indications what so ever for this - unless we want to go tabloid hysteria mode.

Last edited by FT Guest xyzpdq; Apr 15, 2018 at 4:49 pm Reason: Comment on the Metro
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Easy now.

While a conflict is very likely the direct impact on air travel is most likely very limitted.
Weather reports can and will be taken from e.g Swedish services (according to CPH).
Traffic controllers. Max 100 out of 650 traffic controllers can be affectef = relative minimal effect. E.g. flyovers can be handled by Eurocontrol
Passport control. Potential longer lines - but no shut down of course.
Trains to/from airport will not run however.

I have multiple trips in the comming weeks and i expect no/minimal issues. There is no indicationd what so ever for this - unless we want to go tabloid hysteris mode.
It really depends, OP was saying absolutely necessary. If absolutely necessary I would take precautions. For any trips I have currently booled (though not through Copenhagen) there is not one where I would take any precautions in a similar situation. As I wrote only one person knows the real plight, and will have to make the call.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 15, 2018 at 9:10 am
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:17 am

If absolutely necessary, I would probably book a back up ticket from Hamburg that's refundable. Better safe than sorry.. . And there may quickly be a run on the tickets if the strike starts

Only you can judge the degree of your plight if you don't reach your destination
It is quite the extraordinary situation on this trip and nothing that can simply be rescheduled or done by Skype unfortunately. If it were, l wouldn't be hunting for back up plans. Looks like a bunch of flights from Hamburg into MAN. So I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The union side is split in to LO and FTF, about 50/50 split. The LO side is now recommending the arbitration to be extended for another two weeks.

If that is followed up from the other side of the unions as well, who are now discussing their position, I believe another extention is highly likely
theddo and AStarr like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:17 am

Instead of HAM-MAN I would look at MMX/AGH-MAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.