Baggage allowance

Old Mar 5, 18, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBD, MM FTL
Baggage allowance

Hi,
I have a flight booked on sas, from ARN to LAX (SK) and further from LAX to IAH (on UA), and then the whole thing back again. Being EBD, I get 3 bags on the first leg, and 2 bags on the UA leg. Does that now mean that I can only check 2 bags from ARN to IAH, or is it 3 bags because SK is the most significant carrier?
I got different information from SAS, unfortunately.
Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 18, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As this is a ticket to the US, it is governed by US law which largely tossed the MSC "rule" 7 years ago.

US law provides that the base allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all segments (including the return if there is one). Base allowance means the allowance without waivers for status.

Your base allowance on SK is one bag (presuming that you are in Y). The extra two bags are a waiver. On UA, as *G, your base allowance would be 0 and your waiver gets you a free bag. Thus, in theory, UA could insist on only one free bag when you recheck / drop at LAX after Customs. But, as a practical matter, if your bags are tagged all the way to IAH, UA is beyond unlikely to insist on an add/collect when you drop the bags at LAX.

If there is a return, UA will collect for anything over one bag.

Need to recalibrate this if you are in a premium cabin.
Old Mar 5, 18, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As this is a ticket to the US, it is governed by US law which largely tossed the MSC "rule" 7 years ago.

US law provides that the base allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all segments (including the return if there is one). Base allowance means the allowance without waivers for status.

Your base allowance on SK is one bag (presuming that you are in Y). The extra two bags are a waiver. On UA, as *G, your base allowance would be 0 and your waiver gets you a free bag. Thus, in theory, UA could insist on only one free bag when you recheck / drop at LAX after Customs. But, as a practical matter, if your bags are tagged all the way to IAH, UA is beyond unlikely to insist on an add/collect when you drop the bags at LAX.

If there is a return, UA will collect for anything over one bag.

Need to recalibrate this if you are in a premium cabin.
If the base allowance of the marketing carrier if the first leg applies as you say initially, would that not make the point of what UA base allowance is a moot point? As the one bag for Y or two bags for premium classes from SK should carry through to the whole itinerary?
Otherwise it would be the individual carriers base allowance that counts.
Old Mar 7, 18, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your answers. Indeed, I was referring to Y, with one bag as SK base allowance.
But then I do not understand, why would the UA base allowance be zero bags? (not flying a lot of UA, so I do not know their system)

There is also a return; I would expected to be able to check at least two bags (1 "normal" + 1 for the *G). But now you are hinting that it could only be one bag?

My problem is that SAS could not give me a straight answer either to this (in my view) simple ticket. They just say: SAS 3 bags, UA 2 bags... which probably means 2 bags.

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 18, 12:38 am

You will only get one bag on the return. UA base allowance is 0 + 1 for *G
You can also check it here:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx
Old Mar 9, 18, 1:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, SkyPesos
Is this all booked as one ticket? If so, then the UA bag allowance will be 1+1=2, because it is a domestic segment connecting to an international flight. If on separate tickets, then the UA bag allowance is 0+1=1.
Old Mar 9, 18, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

It is all on one booking, and the ticket was sold by SAS. So I guess I get then 1+1=2. I was somehow hoping that it would be 1+2=3 as the SK flight is the "most significant" one, but apparently not.

Of course this makes the SK*G benefit of having 1+2 bags a bit unusable if one connects. Perhaps according to rules, but still somewhat unexpected... in particular because they told me differently on the phone while booking.

Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 18, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by zeer0 View Post
Is this all booked as one ticket? If so, then the UA bag allowance will be 1+1=2, because it is a domestic segment connecting to an international flight. If on separate tickets, then the UA bag allowance is 0+1=1.
Good luck arguing that with the UA check-in agents. half the times it is just a plain no
Old Mar 11, 18, 3:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, SkyPesos
Originally Posted by OFFlyer View Post
Good luck arguing that with the UA check-in agents. half the times it is just a plain no
I've done this without issue

Search this Thread
Search Engine: