Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Making the most of SAS EB Amex 50% and Mastercard Premium discounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond

I have learned enough from all of the helpful information on this forum to be in the position to make use of both the SAS EB Amex and Mastercard Premium (Book in Business, Pay for Go) discounts, but I have yet to actually book any award travel using these. Before I do so, I would appreciate some advice.

If I understand things correctly, the Mastercard discount/upgrade is applicable for all award travel on SAS. Does that apply to codeshare destinations as well? Does it apply for points bookings only, or for points + money bookings as well?

My wife and I live in Stockholm and we would like to book award travel in business class to Auckland in October/November. If I understand correctly, using the Amex 2 for 1 discount this should cost 180 000 points. That seems to be the best possible discount to use for this particular trip, but I want to be sure.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:50 am
mha

The MasterCard discount applies for award travel on SAS. No code-shares, has to be SAS themselves. Only for points bookings, not regular tickets (so not for points+money).

And you're correct, a business award to Auckland will be 180,000 points with an Amex 2-4-1 voucher in business, or 240,000 in first. Which would be the best possible way to use the 2-4-1, and the best possible discount for that trip, both at once (and the MasterCard discount wouldn't be usable here, since SAS don't fly to Auckland themselves)
Daner likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the confirmation!

I understand that the First class trip would be getting the best possible value from that discount for that trip, but we don't have the 240,000 points now, and if we wait until we get them we might miss out on availability. We may also want to take a trip to SFO or LAX in the meantime, so lay-flat business will have to do. ;-)

On a similar subject, are the Amex 2-4-1 vouchers useable for *A RTW packages?

Originally Posted by mha
The MasterCard discount applies for award travel on SAS. No code-shares, has to be SAS themselves. Only for points bookings, not regular tickets (so not for points+money).

And you're correct, a business award to Auckland will be 180,000 points with an Amex 2-4-1 voucher in business, or 240,000 in first. Which would be the best possible way to use the 2-4-1, and the best possible discount for that trip, both at once (and the MasterCard discount wouldn't be usable here, since SAS don't fly to Auckland themselves)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Daner
Thanks for the confirmation!

I understand that the First class trip would be getting the best possible value from that discount for that trip, but we don't have the 240,000 points now, and if we wait until we get them we might miss out on availability. We may also want to take a trip to SFO or LAX in the meantime, so lay-flat business will have to do. ;-)
Europe to SFO in LH F is very tough to get... even in J while I had quite a lot of luck with Europe to LAX in LH F. Was always able to get a couple of seats at short notice (LH only allows partner programs to book F 14 days out). UA in F is not worth the extra points over a decent option in J with TK, LX, SK or OS.

New Zealand is also very difficult...

On a similar subject, are the Amex 2-4-1 vouchers useable for *A RTW packages?
No, strictly r/t. they don't even allow stopovers. Open Jaw is allowed.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:14 am
Original Poster

We aren't fancy or flush enough to meaningfully appreciate an upgrade from J to F as much as we would appreciate using the points saved on an additional trip. To illustrate this, when we boarded our CPH - SFO flight last year my wife got all the way back to Y before even bothering to look at her seat assignment, so she was pleasantly surprised that I had Plusgraded us to W. Having grown up with Jante whispering in her ear, she still has trouble using FastTrack, lounges, or pre-boarding without a twinge of guilt. She has yet to enjoy a lie-flat bed on a really long flight, but now that she has enjoyed W to and from the West Coast I think that I may be able to get her to accept J under the right circumstances without too much protest, especially if we are headed to AKL. (She has done that before in Y.)

When visiting family and friends in SoCal the convenience of direct flights between ARN and LAX is compelling enough to keep us on SK, especially now that the hard product has been updated. We could get to the Bay Area directly using DY to OAK, but I know too many who have been stranded on the West Coast due to mechanicals with no access to *A partners as a backup.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold
We aren't fancy or flush enough to meaningfully appreciate an upgrade from J to F as much as we would appreciate using the points saved on an additional trip. To illustrate this, when we boarded our CPH - SFO flight last year my wife got all the way back to Y before even bothering to look at her seat assignment, so she was pleasantly surprised that I had Plusgraded us to W. Having grown up with Jante whispering in her ear, she still has trouble using FastTrack, lounges, or pre-boarding without a twinge of guilt. She has yet to enjoy a lie-flat bed on a really long flight, but now that she has enjoyed W to and from the West Coast I think that I may be able to get her to accept J under the right circumstances without too much protest, especially if we are headed to AKL. (She has done that before in Y.)

When visiting family and friends in SoCal the convenience of direct flights between ARN and LAX is compelling enough to keep us on SK, especially now that the hard product has been updated. We could get to the Bay Area directly using DY to OAK, but I know too many who have been stranded on the West Coast due to mechanicals with no access to *A partners as a backup.
I think, if you have enough points to enjoy first class, especially on such longhaul destination as NZ, it is better to redeem for F, rather than J and save some points.
Using Amex -2-4-1 you have many options of enjoing really great experience.

To name a few, Lufthansa/ASIANA first to Seoul, Seoul to Bangkok. Bangkok to NZ (not sure anything flies to NZ from Korea)
ANA from London or FRA to Tokyo and further to Singapore or Bangkok and further to NZ.

Business class is definitely better than economy, but first is another universe I would try to maximize and have potentially 4 first class legs (Europe to Central Asia to South Asia)
AStarr likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:51 am
Original Poster

I fully understand the argument for doing that when and if one has the points, but we don't yet have them.

When it comes down to it, I would rather use 240k points on a 2-4-1 in J from ARN to AKL plus a RT in Y from ARN to SFO. Pretty sure that my wife feels the same way. When given the choice between a slightly fancier rock on her wedding ring or a new pair of alpine skis, she chose the skis. That was 27 years ago, and we are still together. YMMV

Originally Posted by meanie.me
I think, if you have enough points to enjoy first class, especially on such longhaul destination as NZ, it is better to redeem for F, rather than J and save some points.
Using Amex -2-4-1 you have many options of enjoing really great experience.

To name a few, Lufthansa/ASIANA first to Seoul, Seoul to Bangkok. Bangkok to NZ (not sure anything flies to NZ from Korea)
ANA from London or FRA to Tokyo and further to Singapore or Bangkok and further to NZ.

Business class is definitely better than economy, but first is another universe I would try to maximize and have potentially 4 first class legs (Europe to Central Asia to South Asia)
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Not sure I fully understand the above, but I would not use points for travel in Y (except maybe last minute within europe), as you will pay taxes that are almost the same price as buying the ticket outright. Lots of options in Y to SFO on a paid ticket and typically lots of sales.

Points are for upgrades and travel in J/F in my book

KF
Daner likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

If I understand things correctly the SAS EB Mastercard Premium deal that we have provides J class travel for Y points (restricted to SAS only). See post #2 above.

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Not sure I fully understand the above, but I would not use points for travel in Y (except maybe last minute within europe), as you will pay taxes that are almost the same price as buying the ticket outright. Lots of options in Y to SFO on a paid ticket and typically lots of sales.

Points are for upgrades and travel in J/F in my book

KF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.