Urgent!! VIOLIN!!

Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Urgent!! VIOLIN!!

Hi all

Does SAS still ban us from taking in the violin as carry-on? I googled but couldnt find latest answers. I'm on board in couple of days so please!!

thanks

Ana
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: *G
https://www.flysas.com/en/uk/travel-...ecial-baggage/
Musical instruments
  • Musical instruments can be taken in the cabin if the instrument does not exceed the dimensions for cabin baggage (55 x 40 x 23 cm/22 x 16 x 9") and the maximum weight of 8 kg/18 lbs.
  • If you check in your musical instrument, it must be packed in a hard case.
I'm guessing a violin is longer than 55 cm? In general I don't find SAS to check the size of carry on that often, but there's no guarantees if it's above size...
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
For a violin in a standard case, I will be shocked if anybody turns an eye. You will be fine. You don't mean a cello, do you?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: SK *G EBD
I'm pretty sure I saw someone with a guitar on a recent BHX-CPH flight, so unless it is a tremendously busy flight, you'll probably be fine.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: OZ *G, CX Silver, BA Blue
I took my violin on SAS flights in 2016, it was an oblong case as well... was on BGO-CPH and ARN-HKG flights so I guess policy is quite consistent across airports as well.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I dont have experience with SAS, but fly with a guitar all the time and rarely have issues taking it on board, although its definitely over the limit size-wise. Having *G status does help.

Some airlines are more instrument friendly than others. United have been bending over backwards since the United breaks guitars video, to the extent of putting crew baggage in the hold so my guitar could be in the cabin.

If its a cheap ticket, just buy another seat as perfect insurance.

If the check-in agent brings it up, this sentence has worked wonders: I have to do what you tell me, but the cabin crew on (insert airline here) are always so wonderful. Could I please take it to the plane, we can always gate check it if theres really no space.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:40 pm

Met a violin dealer in Plus on a flight to London once, said he flies all the time with violins on SAS. They were super expensive and he will never check them.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much all for your replies!! As I saw someone posted 'SAS just informed me in writing that small, fragile stringed instruments such as violins, fiddles, mandolins, etc are now banned as carry-on items on their planes. Their exact words were "A violin (with normal measurements)will not fit within the maximum measurments thus not possible to bring it on board."' 7 years ago, I was really worried. But it seems no one here has ever got such troubles...I'll bring my violin and see how it goes Thanks again!

ana
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I've seen people bring guitars on board many times, I don't think this is enforced at all. Like most things with SAS.
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Now that the serious answers are done....

If anybody gives you a hard time about getting on the plane, maybe you can pull a few strings. Hopefully that will take them down a peg.
gr8pirate and Daner like this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
And for those of us who might want to bring a guitar, we might consider switching to a ukulele. Less to fret about that way.

Originally Posted by pdsales
Now that the serious answers are done....

If anybody gives you a hard time about getting on the plane, maybe you can pull a few strings. Hopefully that will take them down a peg.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Daner
And for those of us who might want to bring a guitar, we might consider switching to a ukulele. Less to fret about that way.

quote from a colleague of mine who hates ukuleles with a passion: Ukes are guitars for underachievers.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ana1000
Thank you so much all for your replies!! As I saw someone posted 'SAS just informed me in writing that small, fragile stringed instruments such as violins, fiddles, mandolins, etc are now banned as carry-on items on their planes. Their exact words were "A violin (with normal measurements)will not fit within the maximum measurments thus not possible to bring it on board."' 7 years ago, I was really worried. But it seems no one here has ever got such troubles...I'll bring my violin and see how it goes Thanks again!

ana
Please report back.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I carry my mandolin on SAS all the time. No problems.
Just to be sure, I use a gig bag rather than a bulkier hard case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.