Cutting it short in LHR

Old Dec 7, 17, 2:44 am
Original Poster
formerly wazow

Programs: SK EBD (*G), AB Plat (OWE)
Cutting it short in LHR

I don't do LHR as oOrigin/destination often. Tonight I am at 1840 hours SK flight from T2, traveling PLUS, EBD. How short I can reasonably cut it ? What time I should be at T2 train station to make it to the gate without huge risks of missing the flight. I have a meeting that is clearly going to run long, but I have a connection in CPH that I don't want to miss.
Old Dec 7, 17, 3:15 am
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
I don't do LHR as oOrigin/destination often. Tonight I am at 1840 hours SK flight from T2, traveling PLUS, EBD. How short I can reasonably cut it ? What time I should be at T2 train station to make it to the gate without huge risks of missing the flight. I have a meeting that is clearly going to run long, but I have a connection in CPH that I don't want to miss.
It is quite a walk from the HEX to security, though normally fast track is pretty fast. I would calculate about 15 minutes from train door to security. I would not say much more than 15 minutes for actual security check. And then I would say at least 20 minutes before scheduled boarding on top of that. As a disclaimer, I have never actually cut it this close by choice nor forced by reality in LHR T2.
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 7, 17, 3:32 am
Original Poster
formerly wazow

Thanks, very helpful.
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:35 am
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: EBG, Icelandair Silver, HHonors Gold
I've done this recently a few times now... Everything in Heathrow is a hike until you get airside in T2 for SAS flights. All the SAS flights seem to be on the A side of the terminal which.. so far, I've never had to go more than about 5-10 minutes from exiting security to my gate. So far, I've never seen a SAS flight in B gates which is another solid 20 minutes walk minimum from security.

I try to budget for an hour between arrival on the Heathrow Express to getting to the gate at the absolute bare minimum. However, I walk slow, I'm short, and I'm asthmatic. That hour would be me in a rush and hating life and hoping that Fast Track is actually Fast that day. Security can vary from no time to 20 minutes. The Tube station is technically a bit closer to the terminal (given that you get off at the right stop) and will save you about five minutes (but it does take a hell of a lot longer but is easier to catch from town).

Granted, I aim to not have to rush into Heathrow ever and try to budget a LOT of time because I like hanging out in Terminal 2 (it's so nice).
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:37 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Just be aware that you need to be through the boarding pass scanner at security at T-35. Otherwise, you will be denied access.
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:40 am
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by alibi View Post
Just be aware that you need to be through the boarding pass scanner at security at T-35. Otherwise, you will be denied access.
I thought that was only in T5 that there was a cut off on that.T2 as well?
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:48 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by alibi View Post
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Yes, put in place about 9 months ago I believe. That will be the only time that you really need to hit - so for an 1840 flight, you need to be at the BP scanner before security by 1805 latest. If you make that, you'll make your flight (my view).
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:49 am
2017 FT Secret Santa

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I've never cut it close enough to have to find out but it's possible. I would suspect it would be an airport-wide policy... though with the SAS gates being close to security maybe it's not?
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:51 am
2017 FT Secret Santa

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac View Post
Yes, put in place about 9 months ago I believe. That will be the only time that you really need to hit - so for an 1840 flight, you need to be at the BP scanner before security by 1805 latest. If you make that, you'll make your flight (my view).
Yeah 35 minutes from entering Fast Track until departure time unless the line is really backed up for some reason or they have to swab everything you own, is plenty of time. Those gates are not far once you're through security.
Old Dec 8, 17, 4:54 am
Original Poster
formerly wazow

Thank you all: I made it with no trouble. I was there 60 minutes before departure, I even had time to buy a newspaper and drink a soda (and then leave) in the LH lounge. I wonder why every hotel would say 2 or 3 hours.
Old Dec 8, 17, 5:00 am
2017 FT Secret Santa

Thank you all: I made it with no trouble. I was there 60 minutes before departure, I even had time to buy a newspaper and drink a soda (and then leave) in the LH lounge. I wonder why every hotel would say 2 or 3 hours.
Because they don't want the customer to be able to blame them for giving an advice that turned out to be too short time.
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 9, 17, 6:27 am
2017 FT Secret Santa

Some of the terminals are really far and ridiculously huge. One of the BA terminals has a train in it I think. Regular security can be a nightmare on top pig that. I've never flown Heathrow without status or business class seating, so I'm only going off horror stories. But Heathrow outside of the A gates of T2 is just massive. This is one of those places where SAS has seriously prime real estate with Star Alliance and we're super lucky I think.

Plus, hotels are thinking of the folks who don't fly often and move more slowly. I can easily eat up 2 hours leaving a hotel in central London trying to make a flight there especially if not having status, fast track access, and needing to cheek luggage.
Old Dec 9, 17, 6:27 am
2017 FT Secret Santa

glad you made it!
Old Dec 12, 17, 10:37 pm

Programs: TK*G, BA Bronze, HH G
Speaking about cutting it close. Did a recent HBA only transfer at OSL from LH til BA (after being invol. rebooked to LH, but agent refused to rebook the BA segment to Denmark as it was on separate ticket despite all on 1 PNR). Scheduled arrival time LH866 @ 09:10 and scheduled dep. time BA8270 @ 09:05! However, I made it as LH was 5 min early and parked literally across from the BA gate and as the BA flight was delayed 15-20 min. Actually, the gate agent had already offloaded me from the BA flight due to no-show but had not closed the gate yet/boarding was still ongoing, so she put me back on the flight without any issues.

So sometimes it can be made against all odds - but I wouldn't do it again.
pewpew and AStarr like this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Dec 12, 17 at 10:43 pm

Search this Thread