Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Am I screwed? SAS says I will go thru passport control between non-schengen flights

Am I screwed? SAS says I will go thru passport control between non-schengen flights

Old Dec 2, 17, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*G

I have two separate tickets for LHR-ARN, then ARN-HKG. (connection time is ~3.5hrs) I used "chat" option and the agent was confusing. So here's my confusion: Is there a SAS lounge in non-Schengen area of ARN? For connecting between two non-Schengen flights, do I need to go thru passport control? (I'm Chinese citizen, and I don't have enough time to get a Schengen visa rn.) Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 985X; Dec 2, 17 at 11:47 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 2, 17, 3:03 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
The SAS lounge is in the Schengen side. So you need to enter the Schengen area if you want to go to that lounge.

If you don't need to go to the SAS lounge then you can stay in the non Schengen area.

The only lounge in the non Schengen area is the Stockholm Arlanda Lounge. You can get access with e.g. PP.
Old Dec 2, 17, 5:56 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Silver
After arriving at ARN from LHR before your HKG flight you have to transfer through a security check to get to the rest of the non-schengen gates. This check is not automatically manned, in fact you have to press a button to call an officer to do the check, and you can be waiting a while, but you certainly don't have to go through passport control. Just make sure you don't go downstairs in that area. The non-schengen area is pretty boring with only a couple of catering options and that Arlanda lounge, but the last time I did CBR-SYD-HKG-ARN-LHR I spent a couple of hours in there rather than going through passport control and it wasn't the end of the world.
Old Dec 3, 17, 2:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Timatic confirms you should be okay:
  • Visa is not required for transit through Sweden.
  • Transit visa is required if not transiting on the same calendar day.
Old Dec 4, 17, 2:12 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Are both tickets with SAS? That might simplify things, but even then, the contract for the first ticket is for LHR-ARN, and if you do not have a Schengen visa, you may not be allowed to board. See e.g., this thread, and other similar threads here on FT.
Old Dec 12, 17, 10:52 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by clifford79 View Post
Are both tickets with SAS? That might simplify things, but even then, the contract for the first ticket is for LHR-ARN, and if you do not have a Schengen visa, you may not be allowed to board.
Yeah, that may be the only issue the OP will be facing - may not be allowed to board at LHR due to no Schengen visa. I wouldn't book this as separate tickets as it may require some convincing arguments at LHR to be allowed to board the ARN flight.

@ ARN you just remain in the non-Schengen area after clearing security as already described. There is no SAS lounge at the non-Schengen area of the terminal but you really don't miss out on much. Obtaining a Schengen visa only to visit the SK lounge in the Schengen area would be insane.
Old Dec 12, 17, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Yeah, that may be the only issue the OP will be facing - may not be allowed to board at LHR due to no Schengen visa. I wouldn't book this as separate tickets as it may require some convincing arguments at LHR to be allowed to board the ARN flight.

@ ARN you just remain in the non-Schengen area after clearing security as already described. There is no SAS lounge at the non-Schengen area of the terminal but you really don't miss out on much. Obtaining a Schengen visa only to visit the SK lounge in the Schengen area would be insane.

I already printed out both itineraries in case the LHR agent could not find my booking. This trip is gonna be insane for sure, my final destination is not even HKG, but PVG. I'll fly LHR-ARN-HKG on SK metal, then take double-deckers and pass Mainland China-Hong Kong border, then take Shenzhen Metro to Shenzhen Airport and fly ZH back to Shanghai. Even the LHR agent checks my baggage all the way to HKG, I am still worried if the agent is "cultured" enough to know that Chinese citizens can stay up to 7 days in Hong Kong without a Hong Kong visa if transiting via HKG.
Old Dec 13, 17, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
It has nothing to do with being ‘cultured’. I think the word you are looking for is ‘knowledgeable’ or ‘trained’. Nevertheless, I’m interested in how this all works out for you.
Old Dec 13, 17, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by 985X View Post
I already printed out both itineraries in case the LHR agent could not find my booking. This trip is gonna be insane for sure, my final destination is not even HKG, but PVG. I'll fly LHR-ARN-HKG on SK metal, then take double-deckers and pass Mainland China-Hong Kong border, then take Shenzhen Metro to Shenzhen Airport and fly ZH back to Shanghai. Even the LHR agent checks my baggage all the way to HKG, I am still worried if the agent is "cultured" enough to know that Chinese citizens can stay up to 7 days in Hong Kong without a Hong Kong visa if transiting via HKG.
Do you have documentation showing your onward travel plans from HKG?
Old Dec 13, 17, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Yes I do. But the itinerary is printed in Chinese since it is a domestic flight. Shenzhen Air is a star alliance member, so I hope the agent can verify my onward travel plan from HKG by searching the ticket number..
Old Dec 13, 17, 6:42 pm

Just out of curiosity... Why not fly LHR-CPH-PVG? (Or any other connection LHR-PVG) Can’t imagine that would be more expensive then what you have lined up? Especially adding in the extra travel time and potential risk...
Old Dec 13, 17, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Just out of curiosity... Why not fly LHR-CPH-PVG? (Or any other connection LHR-PVG) Can’t imagine that would be more expensive then what you have lined up? Especially adding in the extra travel time and potential risk...
Can't beat SK's youth ticket! 284 USD for a ARN-HKG + PVG-CPH-ARN open-jaw is a steal. (I'm only gonna use the ARN-HKG segment though). To make it more adventurous, I depart from LAX. So the itinerary is LAX-IAH-LHR (UA metal), experience London for one day, then LHR-ARN-HKG on SK metal. Once landed in HKG, take double-decker to pass the border and fly SZX-PVG on ZH. The return journey is PVG-PEK-LHR on CA award ticket (purchased some AV miles to save money), and LHR-LAX on UA. I'm not saving much time on this trip, but given the outrageous price for LAX-PVG RT, I would rather connect via LHR. The total cost does not exceed LAX-PVG RT via TPAC even with the cost of UK visa, hotel, etc. So fair enough. I'm leaving in 2 days. Let's see how it goes.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Dec 14, 17, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by klmml View Post
Do you have documentation showing your onward travel plans from HKG?
IIRC, transit by land is accepted for China mainland resident in Hong Kong.
Old Dec 14, 17, 4:15 am

I hope you qualify for using the cheap SK Youth tickets. It has been reported in this forum lately that now your ID will actually get checked before you are able to board. I saw this myself last month - 2 pax on youth tickets got a "beep" when the BP was scanned at the gate and the gate agent asked for ID to check their age.
Old Dec 14, 17, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by 985X View Post
Can't beat SK's youth ticket! 284 USD for a ARN-HKG + PVG-CPH-ARN open-jaw is a steal. (I'm only gonna use the ARN-HKG segment though). To make it more adventurous, I depart from LAX. So the itinerary is LAX-IAH-LHR (UA metal), experience London for one day, then LHR-ARN-HKG on SK metal. Once landed in HKG, take double-decker to pass the border and fly SZX-PVG on ZH. The return journey is PVG-PEK-LHR on CA award ticket (purchased some AV miles to save money), and LHR-LAX on UA. I'm not saving much time on this trip, but given the outrageous price for LAX-PVG RT, I would rather connect via LHR. The total cost does not exceed LAX-PVG RT via TPAC even with the cost of UK visa, hotel, etc. So fair enough. I'm leaving in 2 days. Let's see how it goes.
I'm confused. Why would you purchase PVG-PEK-LHR on CA when you already have PVG-CPH-ARN on SK?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: