Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Travelling on a ticket not in your name

Old Nov 30, 17, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK, A3, QR

I was wondering if someone has experience of traveling on tickets not in their name. I came to think of it because I have two seperate tickets, CPH-ARN and CPH-CDG that I cannot use myself. A friend of mine offered to buy the tickets and we started to look into the costly name changes when it dawned upon me, that the boarding process is electronic and I've never shown ID travelling ex-Scandinavia with SK. He could just use my boarding passes (I'd even get the EB points) and we would save the name change fees.

Am I missing something (besides the immoral aspects and the minimal risk of being found out)? I'm aware SK wouldn't approve and the practice is possibly illegal, so mods feel free to close thread it doesn't comply with community standards.
Old Nov 30, 17, 11:56 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Be careful, especially if the trip goes to France.

Border controls temporary reinstated in France
France reinstates temporary border controls for EU and Shengen countries
Passengers travelling to/from France must bring a valid passport or National ID card.

https://www.flysas.com/en/uk/travel-...d-visa/europe/
Old Nov 30, 17, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by groovyfly View Post
I was wondering if someone has experience of traveling on tickets not in their name. I came to think of it because I have two seperate tickets, CPH-ARN and CPH-CDG that I cannot use myself. A friend of mine offered to buy the tickets and we started to look into the costly name changes when it dawned upon me, that the boarding process is electronic and I've never shown ID travelling ex-Scandinavia with SK. He could just use my boarding passes (I'd even get the EB points) and we would save the name change fees.

Am I missing something (besides the immoral aspects and the minimal risk of being found out)? I'm aware SK wouldn't approve and the practice is possibly illegal, so mods feel free to close thread it doesn't comply with community standards.
If he has an SK boarding pass for CPH-ARN and the ticketed name is for the same perceived sex as the person using the boarding pass, then it generally doesn’t get stopped.
Old Dec 1, 17, 5:00 am

Programs: EBD
Be aware that some airlines (e.g.easyJet) ask to see your passport no matter where your are flying.
Old Dec 1, 17, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Jespersm View Post
Be aware that some airlines (e.g.easyJet) ask to see your passport no matter where your are flying.
Out of my last 100 SAS flights between these two Scandinavian airports as a passenger with just cabin baggage: zero passport/ID checks.
Out of my last 100 Norwegian flights between these two Scandinavian airports as a passenger with just cabin baggage: zero passport/ID checks.

I can't speak of any other service on this route.
Old Dec 1, 17, 5:10 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
And some airlines do it only in some airports (because the rules are local) or only at some times (because rules change all the time). I doubt though that it is illegal to fly short haul in Europe on not your own ticket (any lawyer here?). It is likely just a breach of contract, so you can loose the ticket if this is discovered, but I doubt any serious consequences can arise. But it would be interesting to see what people know here.
It is a different story when you fly to countries with advanced passanger data processing (like TATL) - then I think you could be in trouble not just with SK but also with border authorities. But there it is very difficult to fly on someone else's ticket ...
Old Dec 6, 17, 9:46 am

Programs: SK EBS, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Wilbur12 View Post
Be careful, especially if the trip goes to France.

Border controls temporary reinstated in France
France reinstates temporary border controls for EU and Shengen countries
Passengers travelling to/from France must bring a valid passport or National ID card.

https://www.flysas.com/en/uk/travel-...d-visa/europe/
Relevant question is whether SAS checks ID on these flights as well. Passport control officers usually wouldn't care at all about name on the ticket (or even know it).
Old Dec 6, 17, 12:00 pm

Never get checked on SAS flights to Germany and the nordics, I have been checked on my latest two fligths to France (CDG and NCE). Would probably risk it going to ARN, but definitely not to CDG.
Old Dec 7, 17, 1:33 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Technically that might work and it might work easily, but I would not start playing this kind of games. Up to you.
Old Dec 8, 17, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by RVH85 View Post
Never get checked on SAS flights to Germany and the nordics, I have been checked on my latest two fligths to France (CDG and NCE). .
Aligns with my experience this year.
Old Dec 10, 17, 6:55 am

Programs: SK-EBD
I have not showed passport (or any other ID) flying 5 times on SK CPH-CDG the last 18 months. I did however a few times shortly after the November 2015 terror attack.

In the opposite direction, showing passport at boarding is mandatory.
Old Dec 11, 17, 1:22 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH*S, SK*S (phasing out)
In case you're on a youth ticket, don't forget that they sometimes check your ID card to determine how old you are (in which case they might also take a look at your name). This has happened to me only once ever, though, and that was in TXL last month.
Old Dec 12, 17, 4:39 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by nini_su View Post
In case you're on a youth ticket, don't forget that they sometimes check your ID card to determine how old you are (in which case they might also take a look at your name). This has happened to me only once ever, though, and that was in TXL last month.
Abuse of youth tickets apparently is a large problem for SAS. There has been at least one prosecution/sentence for fraud here in Norway, and SK has announed publicly that they are increasing ID controls as Christmas travel season approaches - even in reality giving priority boarding to youth ticket travellers ("as not to hinder boarding for other passengers, youth ticket travellers will board first" - translated from memory!) I have heard announcements for ID-checks before boarding several times both at TRD and at OSL.

As for travelling on a ticket in another person's name: I would not risk it. At my local airport it would even be impossible for me, as I'm known by name by most regular WF check-in staff.
Old Dec 12, 17, 4:43 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Norwegian newspaper article about increased control of youth tickets:

https://www.dagbladet.no/tema/de-blo...troll/69012476

"SAS ber nå reisende med ungdomsbilletter være blant de første som får komme om bord på flyet. Dette for å kunne gjennomføre identitetskontroll og alderskontroll før avgang uten at det er til hinder for andre reisende."
Old Dec 12, 17, 7:48 am

Programs: A3*G, LH*S, SK*S (phasing out)
Originally Posted by ksu View Post
"SAS ber nå reisende med ungdomsbilletter være blant de første som får komme om bord på flyet. Dette for å kunne gjennomføre identitetskontroll og alderskontroll før avgang uten at det er til hinder for andre reisende."
Well, I won't complain, but we'll see if it's actually happening. My last SAS Ungdom flight of the year is on Friday CPH-GVA, so I can report back.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: