Wiki Posts
Search

Tactic for SAS award tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG (SK*G), HH Diamond
Tactic for SAS award tickets

Am considering using points for an award trip for myself and the wife from CPH-NRT next fall.
Have been looking at the good ol' travelhacks site, and can see that tickets to NRT go fast (sometimes just a day or two after they get released 330 days in advance).

Is the best tactic to buy one-way tickets 330 days in advance for the outbound and then another round of one-tickets 330 days in advance for the inbound?

The disadvantage of course being that a one-way biz award ticket is 60.000 points whereas for a return trip it would be 50.000 one-way. Therefore, is there a better way to book far ahead in advance?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I guess it depends a bit on how long a trip you plan, and whether the dates overlap with any major autumn vacation period in Scandinavia. And how flexible you are on the specific dates.

If all of the above tilt towards the negative aspect, I would do one way bookings.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Fair points. Is there a likelihood that seats will open up closer to the departure date? Thinking of booking the O/W and then looking out for additional seats opening up on the booked dates, then changing to a return trip.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
More award space can be released later, but if you want to sit in the front don't expect much on this route.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Book once you see seats in C for the outbound. Once you see seats for the return, you cancel + and hope that the seats will be released again (maybe not immidiately but the next day) and that no-one takes the seats before you (yes, I know it is like playing the lottery) and then you make a return booking.

Autumn is high season for leisure travel to JP. Award seats will be gone quickly.

Good luck!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
330 days in advance isn't always a guarantee. My wife told me a phone agent said that 290-330 is the range, which might depend on the season. For example, SAS has not yet released award space in July flying CPH-ORD-CPH. The idea of booking a one way and cancelling may work if you can do this far enough out and you are booking for 1 person. Finding C class for more people can be tricky enough on some routes in high season.

My only tip is keep checking and book early. Outside of summer, we have not had much luck on awards during school holidays and have been more frequently booking on *A partners instead. Good luck!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. Seems like there's no right way of doing it... maybe some day SAS will make it easier to redeem points (without paying a high high premium for Best Availability + Cash)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:11 pm

You can always add the inbound flight to an already booked outbound journey when award space opens up without any need to cancel the outbound. The call center can help you do that change, and the numbers of points needed to add the inbound will be

round trip price - already paid outbound price.

Thus, the booking will be considered as a round trip and not charged as 2x one ways.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747forever
You can always add the inbound flight to an already booked outbound journey when award space opens up without any need to cancel the outbound. The call center can help you do that change, and the numbers of points needed to add the inbound will be

round trip price - already paid outbound price.

Thus, the booking will be considered as a round trip and not charged as 2x one ways.
This is what I wanted to hear! Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by SecretGuy
This is what I wanted to hear! Thanks!
No worries.

You could also book the return in Y while you wait for J space to open up and then make the switch. Worst case you will have to travel home in Y.

Unfortunately not everyone at the call center know the rules and the flexibility with award bookings. Have made similar changes in the past and have had to call 2-3 times to get the right agent to help me with the changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.