Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EuroBonus newbie

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

EuroBonus newbie

For the past several years I've been crediting my *A flights to UA MP to get *G status. Today, out of curiosity i put my currently booked flights through "wheretocredit" and realized that the best earnings for these would be in EuroBonus and, in fact, the flights appear to add up to over 45K points. I registered with EuroBonus and changed my flights over to use it for credit, hopefully this should result in EuroBonus gold level by the time all these are taken. I did read T&C, but just in case wanted to verify:

- My new EuroBonus account shows qualification period of April 1 2018 - March 31 2019. So, if I fly enough by fall, the status will apply until the end of this qualification period and for one more year (March 31 2020), is that right?

- Achieving status does not require flying any segments on SAS?

- It looks like there is no difference between "award" and "qualification" points (when earned through flying *A partner airlines)?

- Finally, what's the experience like in terms of posting earnings from other carriers? (Saw the other thread, but just in case - here)

Any other advice to a EuroBonus newcomer greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Welcome to SK!

1. My new EuroBonus account shows qualification period of April 1 2018 - March 31 2019. So, if I fly enough by fall, the status will apply until the end of this qualification period and for one more year (March 31 2020), is that right?

Yes. Your status upgrade starts as soon as you hit the threshold, and applies to the entire next qualification period as well. My period is Oct 1 - Sept 31, and this year I hit diamond in early December, which gives me Dec 2017 - Dec 31 2019 as diamond (you get a 3 month grace period after your qualification period ends where you retain old status).

2. Achieving status does not require flying any segments on SAS?

Correct. However, you can achieve status with legs and not points. These qualifying segments DO have to be on SK metal. But if you have enough points you never have to set foot on SK.

3. It looks like there is no difference between "award" and "qualification" points (when earned through flying *A partner airlines)?

All points accrued by flying go towards both qualification and awards. Points earned through other avenues, such as credit cards, are only useful for awards and to not count towards status.

4. Finally, what's the experience like in terms of posting earnings from other carriers? (Saw the other thread, but just in case - here)

Works smoothly, just keep an eye on booking class to make sure. In some cases it is actually better to fly other airlines - SK doesn't use actual air miles, but flying other airlines accrue according to the great circle concept, so it can in cases be smarter to fly another airline even when crediting SK (only applies to long haul flights).

5. Any other advice to a EuroBonus newcomer greatly appreciated!

Get used to a program with less than transparent policies, inconsistent application of rules, and other quirkiness. But by and large it is a good program, and is one of the easier ones to hit gold with.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply!

Well, we'll see how it goes. I do, actually, fly SAS at least annually - in fact could have accrued a few flights earlier this year if I knew that's going to be the plan.

BTW, curiously, I used to have an old EuroBonus account, created a few years ago, never accrued anything in it. Today tried to log into it or recover access and could not - no recovery email received, can't look up by email, nada. Do they purge dormant accounts at some point?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:54 am
Original Poster

FWIW first flight on another carrier posted within less than 24 hours, and mileage appears correct.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: CM Gold, SK EB Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by br2k
- Achieving status does not require flying any segments on SAS?
Yes, that's true - however, once you've achieved EB Gold or Diamond status, any revenue flights on SAS metal will give you 25% additional "Basic Points" (status miles). That makes it easier to requalify to *G when you are flying SAS metal (and I believe with Wideroe as well).

Tier level benefits: Gold and Diamond members earn an additional 25 percent Basic points on top of the regular Basic points.
- from https://www.sas.dk/en/eurobonus/point-tables/ click on "Earn Points with SAS" (the page heading seems to be a bit misleading)

So as JR67 says, it is one of the easier programs to hit gold with, and even easier to maintain Gold (particularly if you are based in Scandinavia or well-served by SAS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.