Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Claiming EU 261/2004 delay compensation on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold

First some background on the flights.
OSL-CPH SK1455 (Delayed about 20 min)
CPH-SFO SK935 Scheduled at 12:25 and left at ~16:20
Arrived in SFO (at gate) at 18:12 (Scheduled was 14:45)

I understand that I am entitled to €600 in compensation due to the delay. Looking on the EU website I found the industry wide complaint form. However it does not say any details beyond telling me to send it to the airline. Do I have to use this form? If so, do I have to send it to the offices in Europe? Also, can all of this be done online to avoid the paperwork?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Seby12

I understand that I am entitled to €600 in compensation due to the delay. Looking on the EU website I found the industry wide complaint form. However it does not say any details beyond telling me to send it to the airline. Do I have to use this form? If so, do I have to send it to the offices in Europe? Also, can all of this be done online to avoid the paperwork?
Go to the SAS web site, and use the forms in the contact center, but isn't it 4 hours you need to be delayed on final arrival on a long haul before you are entitled to a compensation, or do I remember it wrong?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Your flight needs to be more than 4 hours delayed for the 600 euro to be applicable. In your case, it would be 300 euro. But it will also depend on the reason for the delay. There are exceptions that voids the obligation.

Contact SK customer service with your claim. They are normally pretty good a paying when applicable.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: SK Gold, ex-Swissôtel Zenit (sigh)
Just did this earlier this week using the SAS Customer Care form online. They replied within a day. Very impressed!

Thank you for getting in touch with us. I am sorry that your trip did not go according to plan, and I do understand your disappointment and frustration.

To delay, or in the worst case, cancel a flight is our last alternative, however, sometimes it is unfortunately the only option. I can confirm that in accordance with EU Regulations 261/2004 you are entitled to receive 400 EUR compensation equal to 3905 SEK.

SAS will reimburse direct extra costs during the delay.
According to your attached reciepts i will also transfer XX SEK.

Last edited by jrcplus; Jul 2, 2017 at 10:58 am
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:55 pm

for me it took like 4 days from submitting application for compensation till I received compensation to my account.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by gguniss
for me it took like 4 days from submitting application for compensation till I received compensation to my account.
try that with Norwegian .....
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
try that with Norwegian .....
Or even Lufthansa, they will attempt some dirty tricks when it comes to EU compensation that you are entitled to..
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All that matters is the reason for the delay of the second segment. The first segment delay did not delay your arrival at SFO.

You are entitled to 50% of EC 261/2004 for a Type 3 flight at 3 hours. The EUR 600 doesn't kick in until 4 hours have passed.

So, we really need to know the reason for the delay.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
So, we really need to know the reason for the delay.
Initially it was delayed due to a late inbound. Then it was further delayed after having to wait an hour for the first officer to come in from Oslo.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Initially it was delayed due to a late inbound. Then it was further delayed after having to wait an hour for the first officer to come in from Oslo.
It does sound like you should be eligible for the 300€.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Pretty sure I was on the same flight as you Seby12 (SK 935, June 16th?)

I sent them an email with a request for compensation and they got back to me within a week. They wired 300 EUR to my bank account since the delay was less than 4 hours and this entitles them to only pay 50% of the full amount.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
SAS is good from my one experience about a claim under the EU Bill of Rights... though I was not the pax, claim on behalf of someone else, I was paid.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
I'm happy if you got some compensation in this case, but by Regulation 261/2004 (and relevant court cases) you are entitled to 0 EUR if the delay is less than 4 hours. (Unless the reason for delay was flight cancellation.)
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viks
I'm happy if you got some compensation in this case, but by Regulation 261/2004 (and relevant court cases) you are entitled to 0 EUR if the delay is less than 4 hours. (Unless the reason for delay was flight cancellation.)
Between 3 and 4 hours for a cat 3 flight, you get 300 euro. Over 4 hours 600 euro. The only category to have two levels of compensation.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Between 3 and 4 hours for a cat 3 flight, you get 300 euro. Over 4 hours 600 euro. The only category to have two levels of compensation.
I have had only good experiences with SAS on EU261 claims allways paid fast and without hassle.

This was a first time for me claiming under the 3 hour comp abd got denied (super fast service still )

They claim only 4 hours and over is eligeble...

I sent in the link to the EU page to see what they reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.