Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

No more free bag for *G on Go Light fares?!?!?!

Old May 29, 17, 1:32 pm
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC

I have an upcoming SAS Go Light trip. From reading here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...luggage-6.html) I understood that *G gets a free bag, even though the base fare does not include one. This seemed to be reinforced by the SAS website (http://www.flysas.com/en/uk/travel-i...ecked-baggage/).

I wanted to double check, so I rang SAS customer services and was told that as of recently:
1 - Eurobonus Gold will get 1 free bag on Go Light fares
2 - Star Alliance Gold will get no free bag on Go Light fares

Has anyone had recent experience with this? Has there been a policy change?
Old May 29, 17, 2:11 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
In April I had 2 bags with me on a Go Light ticket. No problems as EBG.

The Swedish site even states that I can "alltid" i.e. always check in 2 bags. Nothing is mentioned concerning any restrictions.
Old May 29, 17, 2:15 pm
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
In April I had 2 bags with me on a Go Light ticket. No problems as EBG.

The Swedish site even states that I can "alltid" i.e. always check in 2 bags. Nothing is mentioned concerning any restrictions.
Interesting. Maybe it is a very new policy change. I guess I will call them again tomorrow to see if I get a different answer.
Old May 29, 17, 3:11 pm

Most of those phone agent have no clue what they are talking about, but they saved a lot of money by outsourcing it.

If you are worried, just bring a print of the website stating 1 free bag and you should be fine.
Old May 30, 17, 5:53 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Update... This morning I have talked to another phone agent, and I have used the Live Chat facility to try and get an answer:

1 - Phone agent said that as Star Gold on a Go Light fare, I am not allowed a free bag. She indicated she had no idea when this policy was introduced, but seemed to concede it was (relatively) recent.

2 - Chat agent said that absolutely I am allowed a free bag. Even confirmed that my booking will continue to say "0 free bags", but at check-in it will be free if I show my Gold Card.

So, if this is a new policy, it is not clearly understood by staff and (as I pointed out to the phone agent this morning) it is not backed up by the wording on their website.

Will be turning up to the airport armed with a printout of their website and a printout of the chat transcript.
Old May 30, 17, 6:21 am

Programs: FB, SK, BA and a lot of hotels
I've just been in London last week, 3 people on Go-Lite, one EBD, one EBG and one EBB. We had no issues checking in 3 bags on the self check in terminal outbound and at the desk at LHR on the return flight.

But at some point I also got an email reminding me that I could not check in any bags with an offer to purchase.

Cheers,
Sullfred
Old May 30, 17, 7:18 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by sullfred View Post
I've just been in London last week, 3 people on Go-Lite, one EBD, one EBG and one EBB. We had no issues checking in 3 bags on the self check in terminal outbound and at the desk at LHR on the return flight.

But at some point I also got an email reminding me that I could not check in any bags with an offer to purchase.

Cheers,
Sullfred
No problems for SAS Gold+ (and Silver). The issue here is *G - which I can't answer.
Old May 30, 17, 7:20 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha View Post
No problems for SAS Gold+ (and Silver). The issue here is *G - which I can't answer.
There is one problem for SAS Gold... At least, the agent on the phone said the allowance for EBG on Go Light fares is no longer 2 free bags ... it is reduced to 1 free bag.
Old May 30, 17, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by kiwi_norway View Post
There is one problem for SAS Gold... At least, the agent on the phone said the allowance for EBG on Go Light fares is no longer 2 free bags ... it is reduced to 1 free bag.
I booked a SK Light ticket yesterday intra Europe. Booking says 2x23 kg.

Havn't heard that there should be difference between Gold and Diamond. But who knows. SAS has a great tradition of not telling of any deterioration.
Old May 30, 17, 7:55 am

According to this page, there is no changes. But as always, you can't see, when that page was updated.

https://www.flysas.com/en/de/travel-...hecked-baggage

'Benefits: EuroBonus Gold & Diamond members can check in two extra items of baggage free of charge. EuroBonus Silver members & Star Alliance Gold members are entitled to one extra item baggage free of charge.'
Old May 30, 17, 8:00 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha View Post
According to this page, there is no changes. But as always, you can't see, when that page was updated.

https://www.flysas.com/en/de/travel-...hecked-baggage

'Benefits: EuroBonus Gold & Diamond members can check in two extra items of baggage free of charge. EuroBonus Silver members & Star Alliance Gold members are entitled to one extra item baggage free of charge.'
Yes, that's the same info I linked to in the original post. I mentioned it to the phone agent this morning. She said it's obviously out of date and that she would look into it.
Old May 30, 17, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
The new-style website has the same rules, written in a different way (see here in Norwegian). Therefore, this must be a very recent change because surely some thought went into rewriting the material for the new website. The more likely explanation is that the phone agent was incorrect.
Old May 30, 17, 4:54 pm

Programs: TK*G
I don't think there are any changes. Rather, I think the agents do not know the rules for *A/*G that well.

I once used the live chat session and the agent told me:
- I should contact TK whether I get one extra piece of luggage on SK with my *G card
- SK Diamond members can get free seat assignment on all *A carriers
And both statements are incorrect..
Old Jun 13, 17, 6:20 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Flight report... I took the return trip LHR-OSL on a Go Light fare, and at neither check-in desk was the free bag questioned. I got a checked-bag in both directions for free.

Still horribly confused as to why two different CS agents on the phone not only told me that *G no longer got a free bag, but read the exact wording to me from an internal memo. Either they were wrong, or it is a new policy that's being rolled out in a relaxed fashion.
Old Jun 18, 17, 6:54 am

Programs: A3*G
Flew 2 segments (AMS-OSL, OSL-LHR) under GoLight on 9th of June. As *G Ι was entitled and had one free checked baggage. The free baggage was visible after online check in. You can safely blame a rogue agent for this misunderstanding.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: