FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   New Shorthaul catering (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1844317-new-shorthaul-catering.html)

citiflyerUK May 24, 2017 9:32 am

New Shorthaul catering

SAS has launched new shorthaul catering concept - The Cube.

Has any one had this yet?

https://scandinaviantraveler.com/en/...nce#newkitchen

The PR stuff mentions warm side dishes. Anyone know what this will be?

Will be interesting to see the new food. I've had enough of the SAS Plus box.

view May 24, 2017 10:03 am

From what I saw in pictures from the press event, it looked like a new cube box with very similar content to today. Smoked/gravad lax, roast beef, potatoes, salad, horseraddish cream etc. I hope the contents will be new and changed, letīs see.

The box will apparently still be a cold meal, so not sure what hot sides actually mean.

Sorry for being sceptical, but shorthaul food has been a continous disaster since business class was abolished.

klmml May 24, 2017 12:03 pm

First thought:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-small-box.jpg

Tango Alpha May 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK (Post 28353771)
SAS has launched new shorthaul catering concept - The Cube.

Has any one had this yet?

First serving will be on the 28th.

CPH-Flyer May 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Looking at the size of the cube in those pictures, it could seem that they are making the serving even smaller than it already is.

I can't actually recall a short haul food annoucement to be good news... It never got better in connection with a big announcement. Butu let's not abandon all hope.... :D

herro May 25, 2017 1:19 am

I participated at the launch and made this little simple unboxing video of 4 of the meals.

See it here on

The taste was good and as you can build it up with extras then you will be able to get your stomach full. I did taste all 5 of the first versions.

Some key observations from the "first tracks":

- Prepared so you do not need a knife
- You can eat with one hand
- The "Cube" is having dressing/sauce in small bags so the product itself do not getting "wet"
- Quality is good and great taste
- The new chocolates are really good (hand made)
- There should be over 70 variants in the planning - season based

herro May 25, 2017 1:23 am

[QUOTE=citiflyerUK;28353771

The PR stuff mentions warm side dishes. Anyone know what this will be?

[/QUOTE]
One example of the warm side dish are the warm bread. Variations like with spices or tomato bread.

[QUOTE=citiflyerUK;28353771

Will be interesting to see the new food. I've had enough of the SAS Plus box.[/QUOTE]

Look at the video above for the unboxing of the meals. They are quite similar as those today but there will be more variations and season based. So do not expect a total change of the meals.

CPH-Flyer May 25, 2017 1:49 am

Originally Posted by herro (Post 28356857)
I participated at the launch and made this little simple unboxing video of 4 of the meals.

See it here on Youtube.

The taste was good and as you can build it up with extras then you will be able to get your stomach full. I did taste all 5 of the first versions.

Some key observations from the "first tracks":

- Prepared so you do not need a knife
- You can eat with one hand
- The "Cube" is having dressing/sauce in small bags so the product itself do not getting "wet"
- Quality is good and great taste
- The new chocolates are really good (hand made)
- There should be over 70 variants in the planning - season based

Thanks for this, very interesting.

It does kind of look like the first 3 are the replacement of the intra Nordic fresh bites, and the last one a bit bigger. The first three would seem very small to serve as a meal, even with bread. maybe a "meal" :D

FlyingMoose May 25, 2017 3:55 am

Strengthening Scandinavian origins and finding inspiration in Scandinavian nature is at the heart of the new Food & Drink concept.
I stopped reading after that line. It shows that SAS has for the third time revamped their short-haul meal concept without listening to their passengers and 'again' tried to re-invent something that doesn't need re-inventing but copy-ing from successful competitors.

I don't need another reiteration of cold salmon, chewy white fish and black bread.

Less effort on the marketing slides and more on the edibility and quality of the food. I'm sure some 'marketing consultant' with oversized glasses that probably makes less than 5 flights a year whipped this up, but it is really not productive and has no positive tangible results for the company.

Spending 95% of my time on BA at the moment doesn't make me look forward to return to SAS food. :mad:

CPH-Flyer May 25, 2017 4:30 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose (Post 28357125)
I stopped reading after that line. It shows that SAS has for the third time revamped their short-haul meal concept without listening to their passengers and 'again' tried to re-invent something that doesn't need re-inventing but copy-ing from successful competitors.

I don't need another reiteration of cold salmon, chewy white fish and black bread.

Less effort on the marketing slides and more on the edibility and quality of the food. I'm sure some 'marketing consultant' with oversized glasses that probably makes less than 5 flights a year whipped this up, but it is really not productive and has no positive tangible results for the company.

Spending 95% of my time on BA at the moment doesn't make me look forward to return to SAS food. :mad:

Apart from being served on porcelain and the longer flights (not CPH nor TXL length), the Club Europe catering on BA is not a step up from the current Plus offering. Quality wise no difference,the plating does maybe look better. BA would not be my benchmark for European catering, and SK should preferably not copy anything from them.

klmml May 25, 2017 5:08 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 28357204)
Apart from being served on porcelain and the longer flights (not CPH nor TXL length), the Club Europe catering on BA is not a step up from the current Plus offering. Quality wise no difference,the plating does maybe look better. BA would not be my benchmark for European catering, and SK should preferably not copy anything from them.

Out of curiosity, what would be your benchmark? LH meals are disappointing, for example. The food on longer CE sectors is one of the very few things in BA's favour on short haul, at the moment.

CPH-Flyer May 25, 2017 6:30 am

Originally Posted by klmml (Post 28357288)
Out of curiosity, what would be your benchmark? LH meals are disappointing, for example. The food on longer CE sectors is one of the very few things in BA's favour on short haul, at the moment.

I know that flights like Istanbul and Athens gets nice catering. But Copenhagen and Berlin gets pretty abysmal CE catering. But comparing BA to Istanbul to TK London to Istanbul is also not in BA's favour.

But like for like, so scheduled for around 2 hours in business class, I would favour Austrian, Swiss (though it has been a while so I may not have the newest info), and I would put Lufthansa ahead of BA.

Turkish wins clearly, but their general cost structure and most stage lengths makes it a not direct comparison when we discuss what SK can/should copy.

fassy May 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Like I said in the other thread TAP has been great the last few weeks. I do not fly TK if it can be avoided ;)

CPH-Flyer May 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 28359580)
Like I said in the other thread TAP has been great the last few weeks. I do not fly TK if it can be avoided ;)

TAP has had great catering the few times I have flown with them, but it is too far back for me to use as an example. But good to hear they kept it up.

FlyingMoose May 26, 2017 1:49 am

BA catering to ARN hasn't let me disappointed, I won't claim its great cuisine but it is considerably more satisfactory than SK. There is a difference between being better than something and being the best.

In Europe, I find IB and OS to have the best food which can be copy pasted and provide instant satisfaction with more travellers than the legacy box concept.

My point was though that SK has yet again taken the same concept and only updated the marketing slides and the packaging instead of the contents. I don't like getting my hopes up with a newly advertised catering concept which is just as terrible as the previous.