Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

I know it's early but... award flights near Christmas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond

Does anything open up for this? Out of curiosity. Everything is currently blocked out from mid-December to mid-January for flights CPH-IAD. I've not checked other routes but I'm guessing they'd be the same.

I'm trying to get me and the boyfriend to/from Malmř to either DC or Florida. Just trying to figure out the best way to get us both there in at least plus one way/business on the return but ultimately hoping business for both directions.

Maybe a different airline?

I have a love/hate with being new to all of this - awards and such
Old May 16, 2017, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
It's not early, it's late...
Most airlines release award seats 11 months before the flight dates, so the Christmas-time award seats were released in late January.

There's a pretty good chance that additional award seats will be released sometime in the future, but it's hard to say when. Some airlines release additional award seats a couple of weeks before departure, while others release award seats at other times.
If you're using SAS points, you can book award flights on Star Alliance airlines, and there are plenty of Star Alliance airlines that have transatlantic flights. Finding award seats for the nonstop Copenhagen-Washington or Copenhagen-Miami SAS flights would probably be preferable, but you may have to settle for itineraries with a connection in Europe or the US.
I have had pretty good luck finding award seats for the Copenhagen-Toronto (Air Canada) route, but then you would need to find award seats on United or Air Canada to your destination as well.
The easiest way to search for Star Alliance award flights may be to use the United Airlines or Air Canada websites to search for available flights and then call SAS to book it.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
SAS pretty much zeros out award tickets around Christmas, so you have missed your chance. As previously mentioned, check other *A airlines. If you can find a 1-way award ticket, you can sometimes find cheap 1-ways to MIA using TP or DY. Can't say either airline is great, but it might help.

If you have enough points, another option is to find a cheap cash or award ticket to another destination in the US/Canada and then try and find an award ticket on UA as they don't charge YQ.

We usually book our Christmas plans 11 months out, so keep that in mind for next year. You might still find a mistake fare in the coming months, so don't give up looking. Last year we had an unexpected trip to the Philippines as we found a mistake fare to HKG, this year we travel to Honduras after finding a cheap fare from MIA to CPH.
Old May 17, 2017, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I know a lot of people book their F/J award seats when it's available to book, i.e. 11 months ahead. I have booked *A award flights and it's very different than OW. OW (in the case of redeeming a CX flight from 2 separate OW programmes) has plenty of award seats (to the extend that award seats are available when paid tickets are sold out). However when I look at *G it was pretty difficult to find award seats.

Christmas is the travelling season here - the weather is bad and kids are off from school.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Itinerary for 2 passengers available for the moment (found it using the United award search page):
December 20: CPH-LIS-MIA (CPH-LIS in economy, LIS-MIA in business) on TAP Portugal.
December 31: MIA-ZRH-CPH (business) on Swiss
Old May 18, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Cool. Thanks everyone!

I would have booked sooner but didn't know we were going to the US until a couple weeks ago.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Maybe it would be better to book econ+ and then upgrade with miles as opposed to booking straight award flights?
Old May 18, 2017, 11:32 am

I booked award tickets to Japan from Florida leaving on Christmas Day and then from Japan to Hawaii for New Years on American as soon as the seats opened without any problems at all. But I always book waaay ahead anyway.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
It's not early, it's late...
Most airlines release award seats 11 months before the flight dates, so the Christmas-time award seats were released in late January.

There's a pretty good chance that additional award seats will be released sometime in the future, but it's hard to say when. Some airlines release additional award seats a couple of weeks before departure, while others release award seats at other times.
If you're using SAS points, you can book award flights on Star Alliance airlines, and there are plenty of Star Alliance airlines that have transatlantic flights. Finding award seats for the nonstop Copenhagen-Washington or Copenhagen-Miami SAS flights would probably be preferable, but you may have to settle for itineraries with a connection in Europe or the US.
I have had pretty good luck finding award seats for the Copenhagen-Toronto (Air Canada) route, but then you would need to find award seats on United or Air Canada to your destination as well.
The easiest way to search for Star Alliance award flights may be to use the United Airlines or Air Canada websites to search for available flights and then call SAS to book it.
Curses on the lateness. Oh well. It happens. I'm okay with paying for tickets (yay Amex Platinum benefits), but it would have been cool to not for the first time.

As far as connections, our ultimate destinations are both Norfolk, VA and Jacksonville, FL... And I loathe Newark and Orlando airports enough to try to avoid them with connections. It's a tricky trip to plan.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bootman4U
I booked award tickets to Japan from Florida leaving on Christmas Day and then from Japan to Hawaii for New Years on American as soon as the seats opened without any problems at all. But I always book waaay ahead anyway.
Yeah I was totally unaware how far in advance these tickets become available
Old May 23, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
FWIW I booked a SAS award from LAX last year on Dec 21st in biz. It opened up about 2 weeks before departure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.