Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Cash upgrade at gate / checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, IC RA

Hi,

My plusgrade request was denied but can see there are still available seats

Does anyone know if SAS allow cash upgrades at gate / check-in on flights to USA departing from CPH?

Last edited by dk_commuter; May 7, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Old May 7, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: SK EBG, HH Silver
Last year I received an upgrade SMS-offer approx 24h before departure to the US from CPH. Approx 1000 DKK from Economy to Plus. I have also been offered upgrades over the counter at check-in desks for the same price. Please note you will receive miles according to your original booking class even if you are seated in Plus.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by dk_commuter
Hi,

My plusgrade request was denied but can see there is still available seats

Does anyone know if SAS allow cash upgrades at gate / check-in on flights to USA departing from CPH?
It seems quite common that Plusgrade upgrades are denied only to sell them at higher costs without the extra miles at the aiport. Just flew in from HKG with less then 10 pax in plus abd a very light J cabin , GO only had 1 empty seat... I am suprised more people did not upgrade, but then again Indidnt pay the upgrade from Plus to Business either since there is no extra miles involved
Old May 9, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Got an upgrade offer from CPH to PEK for DKK 1500. Personally I'd rather endure the poor Y (since we are *G so ate well before boarding), and use that $ to pay for an extra ticket. I paid less than DKK 1500 one way for the flight to PEK so that upgrade feels very expensive to me.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:58 pm

Seems like there was not a straight answer to the OP's question.

Yes, you can pay cash or use EB points to upgrade at the counter at CPH.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
One thing to add: If you are interested in the gate upgrade, it's only possible if you haven't ordered special meals.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
I've done it before, to get out of Go into Plus for transatlantic. Paid cash. It wasn't too bad in my opinion.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I ended up upgrading for points on cph-sfo

.. only to discover it was a replacement aircraft with the old business class. Oh well, still better than econ plus
Old May 14, 2017, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Just a data point:
Today, cash upgrade from SFO to CPH plus -> business was 499 USD
Old May 16, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dk_commuter
Just a data point:
Today, cash upgrade from SFO to CPH plus -> business was 499 USD
Interesting. The one I did was something like $200 from Go to Plus. I've been curious how much it is for Plus to Business in cash or points. How much was it in points?
Old May 16, 2017, 7:42 am

M to Y is 25.000, Y to J 35.000, M to Y 50.000

Was 15.000, 25.000 and 40.000 before.

Y to J for 499$ is way too much in my opinion...
Old May 16, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Another data point of $499 MIA-CPH at counter (Plus to Biz) but declined.

Slightly OT. I'm looking at the bid to upgrade on the return. Right now the minimum bid is $420 but it doesn't look like that will likely get approved. I've got a family of 4 so I'm tempted to just do it at the minimum and see if it hits. In a way I don't want it to hit but I kind of want to experience Y for myself just to see if it's as meiodocre as everyone says.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Another data point of $499 MIA-CPH at counter (Plus to Biz) but declined.

Slightly OT. I'm looking at the bid to upgrade on the return. Right now the minimum bid is $420 but it doesn't look like that will likely get approved. I've got a family of 4 so I'm tempted to just do it at the minimum and see if it hits. In a way I don't want it to hit but I kind of want to experience Y for myself just to see if it's as meiodocre as everyone says.
IT is IT REALLY is �� but for sure it is a experience

If you have a exit seat it isnt unbearable
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
I just did at checking Go to Plus upgrades on IAD > CPH and Return. Go was full and my plus ups released 2 additional seats (assuming in both directions) - talking to the gate agent at IAD, they didn't upgrade anyone for free(at least at IAD), so if there were no Go seats available and you were stand-by, you were out of luck...

I didn't bid on the outbound flights - just asked and paid at the gate. On the return, I bid $300 and was denied, then turned around and paid 1500DKK (~$250)... Go figure...

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.