Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

1 checked bag is free on SAS Europe for *Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Hope that is still the case?

We are both Star Gold and are planning in a few weeks to fly DUB-FAE (Faroes) via OSL or CPH etc.

Fare bucket seems to be cheapie H class, so I hope 1 checked bag each is OK?

And lounge access is also OK I guess, although no idea whose lounge that Star uses in Dublin!

And I assume SH4604 is on SAS metal not a codeshare? (DUB-OSL)

Would rather have used UA points to book it but their website advises no Star partner flies to FAE! Even from CPH.

Maybe it is better to book direct on SAS site and not Expedia as then I can pre-select seats as Star Gold is seems?

Assume prices are much the same?

Thanks for any input.

Glen

Mon, May 29
From (DUB)
To Vagar (FAE)

SAS
11:30am
DUB
to
FAE
24h 0m, 2 stops
OSL, CPH
Arrives Tue, May 30
• 11:30am

• From (DUB)
• To Gardermoen (OSL)
SAS 4604

• From Gardermoen (OSL)
• To Kastrup (CPH)
SAS 1475

12h 15m stop in Copenhagen (CPH)
10:15am
to
2h 15m
• From Kastrup (CPH)
• To Vagar (FAE)
SAS 1777

• Economy/Coach (H)

Baggage fees when purchased at the airport (Prices may be cheaper if purchased online with SAS)
Carry on: No fee
1st checked bag: $77.00 up to 23 kg
2nd checked bag: $77.00 up to 23 kg
How to pay: SAS Opens in a new window
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: TK*G
1) Yes, you are entitled to one free checked bag
2) There is no lounge in Dublin. You can only use the lounge in OSL/CPH.
3) SK4604 is not a codeshare flight. It is mainly operated by SAS Boeing 737.
4) Yes. *G can pre-select all seats for free (even exit rows). Despite not being a published benefit, I have never failed to do so being a TK*G with around 10 journeys with SK. Furthermore, booking through SAS website allows you to cancel your ticket free of charge within 24 hours.

Last edited by bart simpson; Apr 29, 2017 at 5:14 am
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ha!

Just tried booking this DUB-FAE on SAS site and get told it is not possible.

Expedia must know something SAS do not.

Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Ha!

Just tried booking this DUB-FAE on SAS site and get told it is not possible.

Expedia must know something SAS do not.

Haha! You can buy tickets for 30/May on SAS website though but not 29/May!

However, when using Kayak, I see tickets selling from around 230EUR via CPH on 29/May.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Got it done eventually via a travel website.

Yes it is correct that after Gold numbers added in, the Exit Seats were all possible for agent to allocate. Cool.

But it seems no Star Alliance lounge of any kind in Dublin as far as my agent could see?
Old May 9, 2017, 5:00 am

Got it done eventually via a travel website.

Yes it is correct that after Gold numbers added in, the Exit Seats were all possible for agent to allocate. Cool.

But it seems no Star Alliance lounge of any kind in Dublin as far as my agent could see?
Good to hear that!

As answered in the previous post:
Originally Posted by bart simpson
2) There is no lounge in Dublin. You can only use the lounge in OSL/CPH.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: A3*G
Something interesting happened to me last week, and I'd like to know/confirm if this is actually consistent with SAS' "rules".

I was travelling with a partner on one PNR; we both had HBO tickets, I'm *AG, she's *A Blue.

I checked in one somewhat heavy bag @CPH on the outbound; the agent did not bat an eye, simply tagged it "heavy".

On the inbound, we had an interesting experience with a LH check-in agent. By that time, my bag weighed 34kg. She insisted that it must not weigh more than 23kg on a SAS flight (apparently, for an LH flight the limit would have been 32kg), but that I could check in a second bag (up to 23kg) free of charge.

So - was she right? Does *G get one bag on an HBO ticket PER PAX on the PNR? Also, was she right regarding the 23kg?
Old May 15, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ObserverA3
On the inbound, we had an interesting experience with a LH check-in agent. By that time, my bag weighed 34kg. She insisted that it must not weigh more than 23kg on a SAS flight (apparently, for an LH flight the limit would have been 32kg), but that I could check in a second bag (up to 23kg) free of charge.

So - was she right? Does *G get one bag on an HBO ticket PER PAX on the PNR? Also, was she right regarding the 23kg?
I think some here have experienced the per pax rule but at least there is no official information AFAIK.

Regarding the weight limit: only with IC flights in C you have 32kg free with SK. Similarly also with LH: only C gives you 32kg free. Otherwise you should pay the heavy bag fee.

Not every check-in agent cares too much about these rules so you can get away sometimes.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:50 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I think some here have experienced the per pax rule but at least there is no official information AFAIK.

Regarding the weight limit: only with IC flights in C you have 32kg free with SK. Similarly also with LH: only C gives you 32kg free. Otherwise you should pay the heavy bag fee.

Not every check-in agent cares too much about these rules so you can get away sometimes.
Also worth noting that (to my understanding) there is an industry wide baggage limit of 32kg for any one piece. This is due to health and safety reasons (expecting baggage handlers to lift luggage that heavy). You'd be hard-pressed to find any airline that will accept a standard checked-bag at 34kg.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Was told by the lounge there they USED to use that SAS cancelled their contract fairly recently. As they have daily flights to CPN and OSL, premium pax would be VERY miffed I'd suggest.

OSL lounge unusually large and nice but weirdly despite them having at least a CPH flight we were on at 6am, did not open until 5am, and lounge is 10 mins to gate they used on this day anyway.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Was told by the lounge there they USED to use that SAS cancelled their contract fairly recently. As they have daily flights to CPN and OSL, premium pax would be VERY miffed I'd suggest.

OSL lounge unusually large and nice but weirdly despite them having at least a CPH flight we were on at 6am, did not open until 5am, and lounge is 10 mins to gate they used on this day anyway.
SAS cancelled access to most 3rd party lounges, primarily in the EU, back in Feb as part of a cost cutting measure. There was some initial grumbling here on FT, but surprisingly little after the change.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
They have some limited-time offers in certain periods where EBS can get into lounges at OSL and CPH (nowhere else) but most of the time, silver is not good enough.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by mandolino
They have some limited-time offers in certain periods where EBS can get into lounges at OSL and CPH (nowhere else) but most of the time, silver is not good enough.
It is any SAS business lounge. So only their own lounges.
EuroBonus Silver* members have free lounge access in the summer (July 1-August 31) & over Christmas (December 17-January 8).

* Except SAS Gold Lounge.
http://www.flysas.com/de/de/travel-i...rport/lounges/

Actually the correct summer dates should be this year July 8 – August 20.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Jainzar
It is any SAS business lounge. So only their own lounges.

http://www.flysas.com/de/de/travel-i...rport/lounges/

Actually the correct summer dates should be this year July 8 – August 20.
thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.