Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Booked on Biz, Willing to Pay for Exit Row Seats, Not Allowed?

Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Booked on OSL-LHR-AUH-SYD on EY First. OSL-LHR segment is on SAS Business.

I wanted to pay for Exit Row seats as my hubs is quite tall and the extra leg room would be helpful, but I couldn't online so I called SAS hoping CS could assist, but was told they cannot help.

Is that true? Even though I'm willing to pay for the seats and downgrade to Y, I'm not allowed? I don't understand. It feels like I'm being penalized for having a Biz ticket.

Appreciate if anyone has any advice. Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: *G
Welcome to SAS Plus Middle seat will likely be occupied too, even in 'business'.
Hopefully the good price on those fares and the EY experience will make up for it!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gourmand73

I wanted to pay for Exit Row seats as my hubs is quite tall and the extra leg room would be helpful, but I couldn't online so I called SAS hoping CS could assist, but was told they cannot help.

Is that true? Even though I'm willing to pay for the seats and downgrade to Y, I'm not allowed? I don't understand. It feels like I'm being penalized for having a Biz ticket.

I didn't quite catch that, were you flying first and business?

Anyway, there's no business class intra-Europe on SAS. I'd avoid changing my ticket to a Y ticket if possible, because even if you did book an exit row, your seat reservation is never guaranteed. In fact, SAS Plus (premium economy, which you're in now) sometimes extends beyond the exit row seats due to demand. Then you'd be running the risk of sitting in coach without an exit row seat.

Finally, there's a good chance the exit row seats are already booked by frequent flyers traveling Y.

A bit of cultural advice: DYKWIA won't get you anywhere in Scandinavia. Most working people could buy a first class ticket around the globe if they wanted to, seems to be the attitude.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
On flexible intra-Europe business class or premium economy cabins, as operated by nearly everyone, the curtain/divider can as FlyingDanishPenguin says, go behind the exit row.

When in economy, I've had my seat changed even as late as T-24 on BA, SK and AY to accommodate late-purchasing business or premium economy passengers. Operational changes can and do also happen on the day. Frustrating, but that's the way it is.

It's a shortish flight, the legroom on SK is generally better than densified BA for example these days (although there are a few 737s based at OSL with chunkier, older, seat frames). Grab the front row on either side, and if it's not free keep watching for the chance to move (e.g. set up a seat alert on ExpertFlyer).

I think the mediocre onboard soft product is a bit unfortunate, given you are connecting onto longhaul F, but that's the SK way.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:08 pm

You are not allowed to sit on the exit row when in Pluss.
All exit row seats are ALWAYS 100% free of charge for anyone to choose (at the online check in 22-35 hr before departure).
Free for anyone i mean...anyone NOT booked in Pluss (business).
All business travelers are forced to sit in crampend seat in front. Unless u lucky to get row 1.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dznyboy
You are not allowed to sit on the exit row when in Pluss.
Yes you are. If Plus extends beyond the exit row. Please read the comments here first.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by gourmand73

I'm 6'6 and usually book 2C(first row on left side) or 1D. For the the 2 hour flights it works. Depending on the load you can book the window seat for yourself and hope nobody takes the middle seat (you can always trade later).
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
If the flight is on 737, those typically have a place to stretch your legs in front of the 1 D-E-F seats. Being tall I appreciate that over isle seats and stretching your legs there, having been repeatedly driven into by FA's with catering carts and people heading to the wrong bathroom, not paying attention.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:16 am

HELP. Booking in/out of IAD to CPH. If I book super plus (i am assuming that is something better than Y) can I pay for and choose an aisle seat? How about an exit row seat? Thank you
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by alpenrose
HELP. Booking in/out of IAD to CPH. If I book super plus (i am assuming that is something better than Y) can I pay for and choose an aisle seat? How about an exit row seat? Thank you
This thread is about intra-Europe Plus.

Plus on an IC-flight comes along with better seats and more leg room. There is no exit row in the Plus cabin. But seat selection is included in your fare.

cabin info
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Originally Posted by studentCPH
Welcome to SAS Plus Middle seat will likely be occupied too, even in 'business'.
Hopefully the good price on those fares and the EY experience will make up for it!
I was astonished to find myself assigned a middle seat on a business class fare. Lounge agent said it shouldn't have happened as a ⭐️G. Good thing it was a short ARN-CPH flight.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
I was astonished to find myself assigned a middle seat on a business class fare. Lounge agent said it shouldn't have happened as a ⭐️G. Good thing it was a short ARN-CPH flight.
SAS won't throw anyone else out, and as a star gold and as a sas plus customer you would have been free to assign yourself a seat at time of booking. If you waited until check-in I understand why you got a middle seat, it has happened to me, too, in plus when I book some hours before departure.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
SK doesn't do official seat blocking so if the flights fills up, it fills up in all 'cabins'. Particularly frustrating and surprising for those buying TA Business and instead get SAS Plus (Eco Extra) product and lack of service. These basic problems and constantly going against customer expectation are what's giving this airline such a bad image.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
SK doesn't do official seat blocking so if the flights fills up, it fills up in all 'cabins'. Particularly frustrating and surprising for those buying TA Business and instead get SAS Plus (Eco Extra) product and lack of service. These basic problems and constantly going against customer expectation are what's giving this airline such a bad image.
And in SAS you can have 17 people in SAS plus with 4 rows, and 4 people with a Plus of 10 rows. It appears as if their planning is simply bad.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by theddo
And in SAS you can have 17 people in SAS plus with 4 rows, and 4 people with a Plus of 10 rows. It appears as if their planning is simply bad.
In that case you can just move, its worse when the rows aren't there. If anything it is a reflection of their poor IT and default seating algorithm. Which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.