Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
The more I encounter the boxes, the less I like them... and the more I spend at Caviar House getting ridiculous spoiled brat-style sandwiches... or at Pret from the other direction.

SAS inter-European flights really make me miss living in America when I exclusively flew on JetBlue... now they know how to keep people happy...
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
ARN T5 lounge had meatballs in tomato sauce today. Food on the ground is starting to get better than food in the air. I had enough of them so I wouldn't arrive hungry as I won't be eating the box.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
ARN T5 lounge had meatballs in tomato sauce today. Food on the ground is starting to get better than food in the air. I had enough of them so I wouldn't arrive hungry as I won't be eating the box.
Same in CPH yesterday. Didn’t like them very much... i thought they were mushy and weird, the tomato sauce extremely sour... And the pasta salad was horrible - next to the question how meat balls in tomato sauce goes with the Pesto-Oil-Pasta-Dried-Tomato-Mash
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by fassy
Same in CPH yesterday. Didn’t like them very much... i thought they were mushy and weird, the tomato sauce extremely sour... And the pasta salad was horrible - next to the question how meat balls in tomato sauce goes with the Pesto-Oil-Pasta-Dried-Tomato-Mash
I'm not sure standardising the food between hub lounges is the greatest idea. A lot of people are flying between the hubs, and will see the same food quite often.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Strike in catering, so got crappy sandwich actually better than the boxes..........unfortunately still the weird bread. Its sad......
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by tgj1974
Strike in catering, so got crappy sandwich actually better than the boxes..........unfortunately still the weird bread. Its sad......
I thought the strike was over again. Some friends of mine were hit on the long haul catering to goin Tokyo in Y last week. They were given vouchers for airport food shopping. All drinks including alcohol were free and on board. No meals being served, but a few snacks. They were not unhappy, free choice of what to eat, more quiet cabin, more time to sleep.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Nov 6, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Well, it was over, but they said that after 6 days of strike, not up to speed.

Seems good handled for Tokyo flight.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Well, it was over, but they said that after 6 days of strike, not up to speed.

Seems good handled for Tokyo flight.
It takes a while to get back in to the flow of building cubes apparently.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: SK, A3, QR
CPH-AGP Friday morning

So I flew in Plus from CPH to AGP on Friday with a 6 am departure. Had specifically booked the Plus ticket as I thought it would be nice with solid breakfast on a 3 hour 40 min flight and didn't want to rush to the lounge at 5 am.

I guess I was looking for disappointment, as my previous two flights have been with Aegean and Qatar in J, but boy the service on this flight was incredibly dismal.

No SMS or notice of any kind beforehand, so only knew of the strike because I read it in the news. To make matters worse, FAs seemed to hate to be there.

They announced proudly that they had managed to boil water and could serve a cup of hot water with a stick of instant coffee even despite of the catering strike. Wauw! They had finished serving coffee by 6.40 and then just sat back for the remainder of the flight.

I think not having a back up catering plan for pax who bought a ticket including food is pretty bad. In this case, premium economy literally meant paying premium for an economy ticket.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by groovyfly
So I flew in Plus from CPH to AGP on Friday with a 6 am departure. Had specifically booked the Plus ticket as I thought it would be nice with solid breakfast on a 3 hour 40 min flight and didn't want to rush to the lounge at 5 am.

I guess I was looking for disappointment, as my previous two flights have been with Aegean and Qatar in J, but boy the service on this flight was incredibly dismal.

No SMS or notice of any kind beforehand, so only knew of the strike because I read it in the news. To make matters worse, FAs seemed to hate to be there.

They announced proudly that they had managed to boil water and could serve a cup of hot water with a stick of instant coffee even despite of the catering strike. Wauw! They had finished serving coffee by 6.40 and then just sat back for the remainder of the flight.

I think not having a back up catering plan for pax who bought a ticket including food is pretty bad. In this case, premium economy literally meant paying premium for an economy ticket.
I am surprised they did not offer vouchers to buy something at the airport. But maybe that was just for long haul.

Comparing QR J to SK Plus is going to set you up for a catering disappointment. Even on a day without industrial action. To be honest any J compared to a premium economy should win.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I am surprised they did not offer vouchers to buy something at the airport. But maybe that was just for long haul.

Comparing QR J to SK Plus is going to set you up for a catering disappointment. Even on a day without industrial action. To be honest any J compared to a premium economy should win.
I was just shocked by SK's handling of the catering incident. Almost 4 hours is a long flight time on just a cup of coffee. The attitude was like 'yeah, sorry, but there's nothing we can do about it'.

Sure there is: How about a notice beforehand, vouchers for food purchase, buy sandwiches for all Plus customers externally to bring onboard etc, proactive refunding, offering free upgrades to Plus for another intra-EU flight, 5-7k bonus points etc to bid for an upgrade etc etc? Anything to show that they care and are aware of the incident. This really showed SK at its worst and most archaic.
SK2751 and AStarr like this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Had the same experience last week. The crew served coffee and offerred chocoloate for free (to both cabins). Then just spent time chatting behind the curtain. No consideration for PLUS pax at all. No vouchers, no emergency catering. Nothing. No service level difference whatsoever between PLUS And GO. The captain was somewhat apologetic, but the FAs appeared completely not concerned. I complained. So far no response. I would also think that an upgrade voucher for another flight would be appropriate.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by SK2751
Had the same experience last week. The crew served coffee and offerred chocoloate for free (to both cabins). Then just spent time chatting behind the curtain. No consideration for PLUS pax at all. No vouchers, no emergency catering. Nothing. No service level difference whatsoever between PLUS And GO. The captain was somewhat apologetic, but the FAs appeared completely not concerned. I complained. So far no response. I would also think that an upgrade voucher for another flight would be appropriate.
So I got a reply today from SK customer service giving their "deepest apologies" and offering... tadaaa: 4000 bonus points. Is that even enough to bid for an upgrade on another flight via plusgrade? In any case my offer will be 'weak' :/
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
5k is the minimum offer, so the answer is no.

I got 3k only, so even less ... although I found it fair and accepted. Otherwise I could ask for a refund of my 5k upgrade bid, which paid my ticket, but I find that the catering is not at all the entire value of the upgrade (for me the main value of upgrades on shorthaul are higher basic point earnings).

I wonder what determines the rate of the "compensation". Perhaps the distance ...
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I had an intra-european morning flight in Plus on Nov. 1 and I received an sms notice about the catering strike the evening before.
No problem for me - ate breakfast in the lounge and had cookies on board.

First time I tried the cube meal on an evening flight home.
As it is not possible to pre-order a seafood meal anymore, I have declined the cube on my previous Plus flights because it has been meat (I eat beef, veal, and chicken happily - but not SAS' cold meat).
This time it was fish (some white smoked fish), which I liked well enough but eating it was trouble.
The combination of food served at the bottom of a cube and the very short cutlery makes it very difficult to cut up the food without putting your hands halfway into the cube......
I really don't like fancy design that's not practical.

I had an OS flight to Tel Aviv in business in October and the food was really, really nice.
I had braised veal and it was perfectly cooked and very hot (as in sufficiently warm).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.