Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: EBG
I was flying FRA-ARN on Plus last week and since I'm a vegetarian I ordered a VLML meal. While the others were getting one of the boxes, I was given the thing which you find in the Menu as "sandwich of the day". Now however I'm not quite sure if I should be upset about it or not.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
CPH-PVG in November 2016:
Where did they get those knives?

The look like tongue depressors from a North Korean ENT clinic.

Johan
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Where did they get those knives?

The look like tongue depressors from a North Korean ENT clinic.

Johan
Go on ...
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by klmml
That CHML looks more appetising to me than most SH Plus meals I've seen
Got me there as well, guess that's what you need to pre-order to get something normal to eat.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:33 pm

CPH-BOS today...

Menue:

Doesn't sound too bad huh?

Starter:

As I'm no seafood guy, I went with the steak slices. They didn't look that bad but were really dry and tough. Almopst beef jerky... and that truffle oil dressing was overwhelming nauseating.

Rating 2 out of 5. (And the 2 only for the salad which I always like)

Main:

Since two out of the mains were again with truffles (Who actually thinks cheap truffel aroma would make a good meal? Anything besides high quality real truffles just tastes really nasty) and I wasn't in the mood for the vegetarian option I tried the deer check. The deer was okayish, a bit fatty and glibbery but okay. The carrots actually quite good but the broccoli and the potato gratin (that vile Swedish one with loads of garlic and cream but nothing else) unedible - while everything was floating in some really fatty sauce which was not that good...

Rating 2 out of 5: Meat okay and carrots nice, rest really bad...

Cake:

Mushy... weird taste. Not my thing. Couldn't really tell what the idea here was? Tasted like someone wanted to make a Tiramisu but forgot to put on the glasses looking up the receipe and instead of using creme used the creme soap

Rating 0 out of 5

Second meal before landing:

The cheese! I love it! 5 starts for the cheese alone! Nothing wrong with the fruits...

The rest... erm... the roast beef was okay, hated the salad and couldn't convince myself to eat it (I tasted it though, which just confirmed I don't want to eat it).

Rating 2 out of 5

All over all I found the meal service bad. Just bad. If at some point some restaurant would serve me similar stuff, I would never ever return. I know an airplane is no restaurant but please... other carriers show it is possible to serve menues which look and taste good enough.

or perhaps I'm just a food snob. (love good food, nice restaurants and cook myself quite a lot)
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Thanks fassy - and everyone else - for the pictures, btw. I don't understand why they don't do something simpler, better. I don't expect a juicy ribeye. I expect food that's satisfying and relatively well done.

And no, it's not SAS' job to regulate our calorie intake. You cannot seriously argue it's a good thing people leave the plane hungry b/c the Swedish government says you can only eat x number of calories a day.

This airline needs to be split up in national units, sorry to say.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
fassy​​​​​​​'s main course is the same as mine in November to PVG . Lots of deer with cheeks in Denmark?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
fassy's main course is the same as mine in November to PVG . Lots of deer with cheeks in Denmark?
in Skåne definitly! Had enough deer in my garden every night to feed hundreds of SK flights

btw, I still can taste the truffle oil
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
If SAS could just copy the BA/KL/LX/OS catering formula this problem would be history.
Definitely not BA - at least for Y. The long haul food was getting to SK standard. If you are looking for decent Y food - fly TK - they are still way better after their enhancement.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:54 am

Funny enough on my last CPH-BOS trip (as I usually book the outbound in Go) the Y meal was surprisingly good. Together with much lower expectations I couldn't complain.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
The CPH lounge is safe to visit today for lunch - no smoked salmon....
Smoked trout though and nothing else interesting so I've settled for eating a second breakfast (they have buns/rundstykker left from breakfast).
That'll go down a treat with a glass of wine.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:22 am

Even not being a Scandinavian (although my name is as Swedish as it gets ) I love the salmon and the trout!

Rhe he worst they can do to offend my taste is to dish out those fishmeatballs, the regular meatballs or the shredded chicken
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The deer is usually pretty ok, much is forgiven if that is on the menu, even more so if its reindeer. While SK doesn't get even remotely close to AY's reindeer its still ok.

The 2nd meal just makes me weep, can't believe this can be served with a straight face. Just a larger bowl of fruit would have done the job. Perhaps add a few bacon roles or croissants and you have a winning concept.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by fassy
Even not being a Scandinavian (although my name is as Swedish as it gets ) I love the salmon and the trout!

Rhe he worst they can do to offend my taste is to dish out those fishmeatballs, the regular meatballs or the shredded chicken
I don't much care for the trout so I'm hoping for smoked salmon onboard the plane.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
enough deer in my garden every night to feed hundreds of SK flights
Same here, and I can supply moose too, should SK be interested.

I must confess that I've been following this thread with a mixture of amusement and bemusement.

I'm no doubt the odd man out on a forum like FT, but my attitude to flying is utilitarian and pragmatic. Flying is a means of transportation, a way of getting from A to B. If, having considered all options, travel by air turns out to be the best choice, then I'll go for it. When deciding which airline to fly, a couple of considerations are of paramount importance:

- schedule and routing that come closest to meeting my needs.

- a modicum of comfort on longer flights, and a flatbed on overnight flights.

- a price that I'm willing to pay.

Everything else is inessential, or even utterly unimportant. That includes food. I can easily go without for eight, 12 or 24+ hours, and regularly do. I hardly ever eat anything on night flights, and on day flights consider the meals more of a diversion than anything else. I will admit to a weakness for quality ice cream and sundaes, though, but that's about it.

I strive to schedule meals around flights, which is generally not that hard. Let's face it, there is no such thing as gourmet cuisine in the air, and the noisy and dry environment at 39,000 feet does not exactly enhance the culinary experience. Any halfway decent restaurant on terra firma will serve tastier meals in a far more pleasant ambience. Heck, I figure I can do better in my own kitchen.

I will, however, concede one point: F and J are premium products. Airlines go out of their way to market them as such, and charge fares to match. It is therefore incumbent on them to provide not only at least halfway decent food in sufficient quantities, but also offer plenty of choice. Their passengers are captive customers, come from all over the world, and have diverse tastes and preferences.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.