Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

Breakfast in plus to MXP ex Oslo earlier this week. It looks very very similar to the box that used to be handed out in domestic economy on morning flights till a few years ago... I had to ask for a napkin to keep the bread on.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
At least on my routes, the prices for SAS PLUS tickets are comparable to what it cost to fly economy when such boxes were a norm. So this is not very surprising ... although it does look quite sad
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

I'm somewhat confused though... the cube is supposedly this brilliant design idea that gives the plus customers an innovative culinary experience and at the same time allows SK to stow 16 meals in the space previously taken by 3-4 trays. Yet for breakfast they are OK with relatively big boxes?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I'm somewhat confused though... the cube is supposedly this brilliant design idea that gives the plus customers an innovative culinary experience and at the same time allows SK to stow 16 meals in the space previously taken by 3-4 trays. Yet for breakfast they are OK with relatively big boxes?
Apparently breakfast does not box'ify very well...

Though compared to trays, these boxes are also fairly compact
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:13 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I had my first experience of cubes recently and was not very impressed, not simply because the offering was chicken and turkey neither of which I like. Since the pieces of chicken and turkey looked a little dry I was happy just to eat the accompanying 'salad' but can't they give us something a little less "innovative"?

MAN-CPH SK540

Paper napkin was offered without prompting

ARN-MAN SK2549

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 22, 2018 at 5:37 am Reason: fixed image links
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:14 am

How did you like the rye and buckthorn sprinkles?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:06 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by oliver2002
How did you like the rye and buckthorn sprinkles?
Better than the browned goat cheese sprinkles from Skärvångens Bymejeri.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:35 am

SK983 CPH-NRT Business Class - June 2018

Main Event

Served with a selection of bread
Butter from Øllingegaard dairy farm with salt from the Kalahari Desert

Starter

Mixed salad with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette

Cold-smoked cod loin with pickled root vegetable julienne, mustard, dill and brown sugar dressing

Dried ham and cheese with green asparagus, pickled shallots and herb emulsion

Main Course

Baked cod with herb butter, parsley potatoes, cabbage with onions, oven-dried tomatoes and hollandaise sauce

Turkey breast with lentil ad chickpea ragout, smoked yellow cherry tomatoes and vegetable nage

Beef ballotine with Hasselback potatoes, cabbage and carrots, roasted baby zucchini and barbecue sauce

Spelt and celery risotto with salt-baked celeriac, baby carrots ad toasted purple cauliflower, served with Ramslöks gremolata

Cheese

Comté and Tomme de Montagne with Dammann Frères tea marmalade

Dessert

Rhubarb tart

Organic ice cream from Gute Glass

Fresh strawberries

Pre-landing

Served with a selection of bread and butter

Breakfast

Organic yogurt, muesli, assorted charcuterie and cheese, Morten Heiberg marmalade, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, radish, broccoli and Stilton quiche, seasonal fruit

Black tea
Nescafé - decaffeinated or regular

Mid-flight

Snack Bar

Stroll over to the snack bar between meals where a selection of tea and coffee, cold drinks, fresh fruit, sweets or snacks will be available for your enjoyment.

C-CPH-NRT_C2_2018
yurtripper likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 12, 2018 at 8:49 am
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Looks pretty good. How was it?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Looks pretty good. How was it?
It was good. I enjoyed it since I like seafood.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:24 pm

SK984 NRT-CPH Business Class - July 2018

Warm nuts

Beer Mixology

Mikkeller Spirits Ginger & Lime Beer Cocktail
A delicate balance of zesty lime, warm spicy ginger and our small batch vodka blended with a fruity & tart Berliner Weisse. The palate is both fresh and herbaceous with touches of citrus and just the right amount of dryness

Ginger, lime, passion fruit, vodka & Weisse beer

Main Event

Served with a selection of bread and Hokkaido butter

Starter

Mixed salad with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette

Roasted Japanese beef slices with grilled leek, Shishito pepper and chive mayonnaise

Smoked sea bass with red radish, benitade sprout and yuzu and pepper cream

Main Course

Grilled Greenland halibut "Saikyo" style with steamed rice, komatsuna, taro root, carrot and ginger sauce

Grilled chicken breast with roasted potatoes, zucchini, red onion and olive and tomato sauce

Sautéed port fillet with turmeric rice, rutabaga, asparagus, onion and plus wine cream sauce

Casarecci pasta with Mediterranean vegetables, cherry tomatoes and Genovese basil cream sauce, served with Parmesan cheese

Cheese

Tokachino Gouda and Kuromatsunai blue with Dammann Frères tea marmalade

Dessert

Raspberry brownie with red currant sauce

Hokkaido milk ice cream from Tokachi

Seasonal fruit

Pre-landing

Starter

Marinated green tea noodles with wasabi soy dressing

Buffet

Chicken breast with Japanesse pepper and teriyaki sauce

Sautéed cod with zucchini allumette and Choron sauce

Yaki onigiri with perilla leaf

Green beans, turnips and sautéed shiitake mushrooms

Dessert

Seasonal fruit

Sweet potato cake

Black tea

Nescafé - decaffeinated or regular

Mid-flight

Snack Bar

Stroll over to the snack bar between meals where a selection of tea and coffee, cold drinks, sandwiches, fresh fruit, sweets and snacks will be available for your enjoyment.

C-NRT-CPH_C2_2018
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Peter Lawrance who was involved in the launch and creation of the cubes is moving to BA so maybe SAS will go back to offering a more normal kind of food not using every ingredient they can find in Scandinavia.
AStarr likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:44 am

A number of Designit people have left too, I'm assuming because Wipro acquired it. The cube is a headliner for its website:

https://www.designit.com/work/the-new-nordic-experience

Based on these insights, we created The New Nordic food and beverage vision. Inspired by the food movement of the same name, it bridges tradition and future, with a focus on high-quality, local ingredients. Together we completely redesigned and rebuilt the supply chain and menu from scratch, with fresh, nutritious, locally-sourced ingredients. SAS now sources 95% of its food from local farmers, compared to just 5% before the project, with Norwegian fjord salmon, Swedish lamb, and Danish veal on the new menu. The New Nordic concept continues into the menu and packaging concept, the “Cube”, with its cool white exterior, and graphic illustrations of serene Scandinavian scenery. From the ingredients to the small, cube-shaped packaging, every component of this service is designed to be frictionless for passengers and cabin crew. The modular meals not only give passengers more choice and personalization, but reduce food waste. Meanwhile meals are quick and easy to pass out and collect, convenient to eat while continuing to work or relax, and can be separated into plastic and paper for recycling.
Reminds me of the ' Everything Is Awesome ' song from the Lego Movie.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Choice? What choice? Eat it or don't? That's a choice? I have like 7 clickable options on BA flights...

(I will laugh of they try to Cube-ify BA meals)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AStarr
Choice? What choice? Eat it or don't? That's a choice? I have like 7 clickable options on BA flights...

(I will laugh of they try to Cube-ify BA meals)
7? That seems an awful lot compared to last a flew BA. I recall that as eat it or don't, which was a clear don't from LHR to VIE Luckily the QF gin bar had put me in a tolerant mood before the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.