Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alltforsverige
I guess one time it might have been close to 2 hours for service. In 3 flights over a period of about 3 weeks, I decided I'd watch the Taken trilogy one movie at a time. It was perfect. The first two movies are about an hour and a half. The grand finale stretches to nearly two hours. Start at takeoff. Enjoy meal. Finish movie and dessert. Sleep. On SK, I could have probably watched all 3 with dinner. That is, if SK had enough movie selection for me to have such a chance
Now, if only SK published their films in advance notice the way AF does... then I could reasonably plan to sleep in the airport lounge until the flight and have a potentially awesome geeky B/C movie marathon with with some entertaining Scandinavian food that bewilders all of my Floridian friends/family. My sleep pattern is super screwy no matter what so the lack of sleep doesn't get me so much. But significant gaps between courses can really annoy me... that hasn't been too bad. I have had some entertaining times with having a plethora of glassware at my seat with SAS TATL business flights. I order champagne and somehow they think I need champagne, wine, and water/juice, and coffee/tea... all at the same time. I don't mind at all... but it's pretty hilarious.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
Can someone kindly advise what the catering is like in SAS Plus from OSL to LYR?

Considering the distance of the flight, is it Polar-rulle stuff that are used on other intra-Scandinavia flights or the cubes/breadrolls used on (longer) european flights?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:23 am

Flying CPH-MAN yesterday in Plus, apparently they're circulating the Spring menu already. The muffin bar was gone. Instead I was met with a "root vegetable and quinoa empanada".

It was actually decent. Super flaky (thus a bit messy). I'd rate this a bit higher quality than a Hot Pocket. Flavour wasn't out of this world or anything, but it's definitely an improvement to those horrid muffin bars. I was the only one in 8 rows of Plus so got the opportunity to chat with the FA about them. Apparently they're new (I've been cheating with Air France the last two months so no clue how new) and we should be expecting more of these.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I still don't understand why SK is insisting on serving vegetarian sides to all passengers instead of a choice between protein or not.
AStarr likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:56 am

Seems they are definitely phasing out the muffin bars. the LHR-CPH route yesterday had a spinach/tomato frittata. A little weird coming out of the muffin bar box... because the one really needed a plate. A bit awkward on the logistics for consumption there. I'll have photos up soon.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Flew 6 segments in short haul PLUS recently and I am just NOT feeling the CUBEs. I wish they would just offer items from the cart proactively instead. I have so far eaten the meal from ONE Cube and the chicken from another as a non FISH eater the FISH cube is obviously the worst Luckily most SK crew will just offer alternatives and I usually ask for them if they don't.

yesterday I had a very grumpy purser from Sweden who flat told me that it was only one item per person in plus she also said this would be systemwide in the weeks to come somehow I doubt that. I cannot see SAS killing a decent product. the last few flights I have taken have been 10-15 rows deep in PLUS and all three seats FULL (except the blocked seat next to me ) so they must be doing something right here...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
Flew 6 segments in short haul PLUS recently and I am just NOT feeling the CUBEs. I wish they would just offer items from the cart proactively instead. I have so far eaten the meal from ONE Cube and the chicken from another as a non FISH eater the FISH cube is obviously the worst Luckily most SK crew will just offer alternatives and I usually ask for them if they don't.

yesterday I had a very grumpy purser from Sweden who flat told me that it was only one item per person in plus she also said this would be systemwide in the weeks to come somehow I doubt that. I cannot see SAS killing a decent product. the last few flights I have taken have been 10-15 rows deep in PLUS and all three seats FULL (except the blocked seat next to me ) so they must be doing something right here...
Glad I'm not on your routes! I had 8 rows of Plus all to myself it was pretty fabulous actually. So much chocolate though... oi.

I'm with you on the Cube. I'm over it. Did you get the empanada or the frittata or whatever new random box thing they're doing?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by AStarr
Glad I'm not on your routes! I had 8 rows of Plus all to myself it was pretty fabulous actually. So much chocolate though... oi.

I'm with you on the Cube. I'm over it. Did you get the empanada or the frittata or whatever new random box thing they're doing?
I only get the fish which I cannot eat, or chicken salada where only the chicken is edible or the yogurt and musli
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I got a strange experience on a short haul recently. First, the machine was swapped to an AVRO from cityjet, in CityJet livery, with CityJet crew (i.e. not pretending to be SK crew). This I have not experienced before. Then they were offering an SK chocolate to all pax in GO. I don't know why, perhaps they explained through PA, but I got pretty good in ignoring PA. I grabbed the box and decided to eat it later in office. Later I looked at the box, and the chocolate was expired a month earlier (Jan 2018). Now I suspect that someone had creatively decided to distribute these instead of throw them out. The reasonable part of me says that this is a great idea, as chocolate does not really go wrong. It will just have slightly suboptimal taste a month later. The other part of me tells me that this seems to be a very bad PR move. A serious airline distributing expired food?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK2751
I got a strange experience on a short haul recently. First, the machine was swapped to an AVRO from cityjet, in CityJet livery, with CityJet crew (i.e. not pretending to be SK crew). This I have not experienced before. Then they were offering an SK chocolate to all pax in GO. I don't know why, perhaps they explained through PA, but I got pretty good in ignoring PA. I grabbed the box and decided to eat it later in office. Later I looked at the box, and the chocolate was expired a month earlier (Jan 2018). Now I suspect that someone had creatively decided to distribute these instead of throw them out. The reasonable part of me says that this is a great idea, as chocolate does not really go wrong. It will just have slightly suboptimal taste a month later. The other part of me tells me that this seems to be a very bad PR move. A serious airline distributing expired food?
I don't think anyone in an airline would knowingly plan to distribute items that have expired in flight. The consequences if caught by the authorities could be quite dire.

Front line staff may have noticed a catering mistake, these could happen,and decided to hand them out for the reason you stated. But really should not. And I would guess that would be well known.

But I agree the actual damage possible is limited.
​​​​​​
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:20 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I finally got to 'enjoy' the fabled 'cube'. Disgusting experience. Rushed to the airport on a monday morning to fly to the US and had no time to eat breakfast or go to the lounge. So I was really hungry and got this>

Lots of ingredients:

It looked odd and tasted worse:

Tons of unrecyclable waste, weird eating experience trying to fish out the stuff from the box. The little condiment pouches reminded me of taco bell. Confusing texture of the hot pocket thingie, couldn't manage to take a second bite. I get it that they wanted to save space, but really?
Instead I asked for items from the menu, which were provided immediately. My seat neighbor noticed and asked me if its really free to order from the menu. He then ordered the fiona bar and marabou like I did.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
So they serve that awful cube on long haul flights as well? I had my first SAS Plus flight (admittedly SH) last month and it was quite disappointing as I had the same unappetising cube meal on back-to-back flights. Cheap and nasty and very awkward to eat from. I still booked a Plus flight for an ARN-HKG RT in May but that's all about getting the miles for *G on A3 rather than because I think the product will be worthwhile.

I'm tempted to bid for an upgrade to genuine C if it means avoiding that cube again.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by yurtripper
So they serve that awful cube on long haul flights as well? I had my first SAS Plus flight (admittedly SH) last month and it was quite disappointing as I had the same unappetising cube meal on back-to-back flights. Cheap and nasty and very awkward to eat from. I still booked a Plus flight for an ARN-HKG RT in May but that's all about getting the miles for *G on A3 rather than because I think the product will be worthwhile.

I'm tempted to bid for an upgrade to genuine C if it means avoiding that cube again.
The Cube is only for short haul.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
I actually think its improved a bit. Now the bread/egg thingies are actulaly eatable - sort of.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Cube is only for short haul.
Didn't Oliver (from the post above) get this on something like MUC-IAD? Maybe it was a connecting service but that's how I read the post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.