Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:55 am
Suspended

That tuna looks awesome. A lot better than the salmon, that's for sure:

Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
That tuna looks awesome. A lot better than the salmon, that's for sure:

Actually, that looks like the veal AY tried to serve me yesterday on LHR-HEL
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by klmml
Actually, that looks like the veal AY tried to serve me yesterday on LHR-HEL
Quite frankly, freezer burn tastes the same whatever the protein. Jokes aside: let's discuss the salmon for a bit. Is a huge chunk of cold salmon "normal" to serve guests in Sweden?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK Pandion, BA Silver

Short-haul
...I could always get something I kinda liked. And if not, it's just a short ride anyway...The food is distinctly Swedish-inspired ...There's so much cold food you can do that's inspiring and delicious
Ok. Imho, I can still find something I like. Even if the box is boring/bad/bland. There is a sandwich option or two. Or a dull pizza. Or some snacks.

I prefer airlines to go local on food. I think showcasing local food is the right way to go, but clearly a balance. I do agree that the taste is very Swedish, but overall I just lack an example of a European flexible economy product that is higher quality and / or better range of choice.

Long-haul

...main problem here is how bloody long it takes to serve a few courses...disappointments...salmon... price quality
Won't comment too much on price. Connecting flights are always less expensive than direct ones. On a like for like basis I find that a direct lhr-NYC with BA in J is usually more expensive than Sas CPH-EWR. The same flight with BA drops to half price if I start the trip in CPH. It is just the nature of airline pricing and imho a different topic than the food quality.

I have not had the joy of the salmon. I have probably been lucky but can we please see some pictures of the brick?

In a j to j comparison I would take SAS food over BA any day of the week. Clearly I would prefer BA F to SAS J.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klmml
I'll start off positively, because it won't stay that way for long...
I will follow up also positively with my last trip from Copenhagen to Shanghai.

Only have picture of starter and the menu. Food was excellent.
Attached Images   
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I don't know the others as well as I know BA. But if you want to go for "International Dull" cuisine, BA is certainly the way to go. It is devoid of flavour or inspiration.
I'm apparently part of that audience, I'm not asking for SK to replace their meal offering but at least include one "International Dull"-cuisine option to choose from for the simple people.

I don't really understand why airlines should not showcase their local flavours. Fly JAL J on the short intra Asia routes and get challenged a bit on the food. It is certainly not your Wagama version of Japanese food, but true Japanese food in all its weirdness (Wagama is anyway a disgrace for Japanese and Asian food)
I think you mean Wagamama?

I love JAL food and agree that Wagamama is a disgrace for authentic cuisine. I'm again not expecting airlines to not offer local flavoures, I'm expecting 1/4 options to be accessible to those who don't appreciate that cuisine. Hardly an unreasonable request?

Originally Posted by ScandiGB
Only have picture of starter and the menu. Food was excellent.
Standard cookie-cutter SAS-C menu, I've had this one many times.

Problems:
- No warm starter.
- No beef/steak main course, the pork is terrible.
- Portion size is to small.
- The dessert is fine but you'll find yourself with the smallest possible slice of pie that can be separated from the rest of it before human vision fails to register it to your brains. Often found with more vanilla 'quark' than pie.
- The salad provided prior to landing is not a meal. While better than the black bread with cold fish served in the previous food concept, its not ok. Adding an option for a simple panini with cheese/ham that costs $2 would solve all problems, heck recover the cost in tenfold.

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Jan 8, 2017 at 9:52 am
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I have booked Seafood Special meals on my last several Intra- Europe trips.
And I'm perfectly happy with it.
The food has always been fresh (unlike the normal meals).
Yes, it is most often smoked salmon (which I happen to like) but it's not been chunks but rather slices.
The special meal consists of two courses (main + either starter or dessert).
Starters seems to be smoked salmon and desserts fresh fruit salad.
Mains has tended to be slices of smoked salmon and either egg salad or seafood salad (not salad as in vegetables but as in the kind you put on bread here in Scandinavia).

One odd thing is that there is never any bread included.
There is a packet of Becel though.....
So far I've managed by bringing my own bread from home (and butter from the lounge....), asking the crew for leftover breakfast buns or whatever else bread they have onboard, bumming bread from other people.
As much as I like smoked salmon there is a limit as to how much I can eat without bread..

Last edited by helosc; Jan 8, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I'm apparently part of that audience, I'm not asking for SK to replace their meal offering but at least include one "International Dull"-cuisine option to choose from for the simple people.

I think you mean Wagamama?

I love JAL food and agree that Wagamama is a disgrace for authentic cuisine. I'm again not expecting airlines to not offer local flavoures, I'm expecting 1/4 options to be accessible to those who don't appreciate that cuisine. Hardly an unreasonable request?
I do indeed mean Wagamama. I have just been struggling a bit to get on a good footing with my auto correct on my new phone. I need to pay more attention these days.

So you don't mind the cold fish specialities (with no choice) that JAL serves between Haneda and Gimpo? While I like it, I can certainly see why a lot of non Japanese people would send it away, some of these things are peculiar.

Standard cookie-cutter SAS-C menu, I've had this one many times.

Problems:
- No warm starter.
- The dessert is fine but you'll find yourself with the smallest possible slice of pie that can be separated from the rest of it before human vision fails to register it to your brains. Often found with more vanilla 'quark' than pie.
- The salad provided prior to landing is not a meal. While better than the black bread with cold fish served in the previous food concept, its not ok. Adding an option for a simple panini with cheese/ham that costs $2 would solve all problems, heck recover the cost in tenfold.
I have not been on SK J in Q4, but have they removed the trolley service for second meal? Combine your own second meal from the options. (this menu being from a PVG flight it used to be there) I always found some good options in that selection, but did learn the hard way to stay away from the reheated scrambled eggs when they were offered.

I always find I get too much food on long haul J. No matter what carrier. I tend to eat it, as there is not much else to do, but I really should skip 1/3 of it. And probably the wines
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Problems:
- No warm starter.
Which is similar to carriers such as BA and Lufthansa. (Granted, some others such as KLM and Finnair have a soup option)

Other than BA (which is consistent in this), which non-US carrier consistently has a beef option?
I am just back from 4 J flights with Qatar (which I find excellent). Only on one of four flights was there a beef/steak option. Only about one third of other J class flights I find myself on has this.
As long as there is another normal protein (i.e. usually chicken) I think this is absolutely fine and completely normal. As a matter of fact most carriers I fly on tend to overcook beef when they reheat it.

As to your second point. I had the chicken, which was nice. My travel companion had the pork and thought it was very nice.

I am sure that the starter, main and dessert was well north of 1,000 calories before having any bread or cheese, so I think it would be bordering on disgusting if they served more actually.
If you ask for another main course, I think you are very likely to get it.
Maybe you can send us some pictures of the small portions so we can see if the rest of us are just lucky or if they are indeed as small as indicated.

Again, send us some pictures please. That way we can see how small the slice really was.

I seem to recall having had a choice of different things served from a trolley and believe I had a quiche of some sort, which was ok.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:40 am

Let's see, this week flying HAM-CPH-BOS-CPH-HAM. I hope they will surprise me with a good meal but I don't have high hopes after the last disastrous experience before Christmas.

will post pictures.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Is a huge chunk of cold salmon "normal" to serve guests in Sweden?
I usually hate fish, but being married to a nordic goddess means my family consumes tons of this stuff. Anyway, for xmas there was a big chunk of smoked salmon on the buffet from which you were supposed to take chunks out of. My younger son described it as 'cold, slimy, puddinglike but very very tasty'. So that is probably what SK intends to give you...
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

SAS MUC-CPH in 'Plus':
Attached Images   
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:17 am

CPH-PVG in November 2016:
Attached Images     
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:48 am
Original Poster

@Oliver2002

Did that short haul box taste as bad as it looks? Did you ask for anything else?

How about the PVG trip? Was it good?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Intra-Scandinavia

What irks me is that I frequently fly CPH-HEL (scheduled time 1h 40m, about 1h 20m in the air) and because it is within Scandinavia service in Plus is lower than had it been to Europe. There is never any box served, instead you get the very small bite-package with 2-3 slices of sausage or even only a polarrulle. Also drinks available is limited compared to European flights. Wouldn't it make more sense to set meal served per flight time rather than destination?

Last edited by Gnopps; Jan 9, 2017 at 6:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.