Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
This is one where there is no winning for the airlines. Make a light service concept for sleeper flights and people complain that there is no proper food, make a full service concept and people complain they can't sleep, but even when they have a both people complain that the noise from the meal service for the rest of the passengers prevents sleeping. So whatever they do there is a section of the passengers that are unhappy.
​​​​​
Actually SAS used to have a fast dining option on ORD/EWR/IAD-CPH/OSL/ARN flights as well as a full meal. Can not remember when it disappeared.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
SK is also pretty bad on red-eye short hauls. I hate it that on early morning and late night flights they insist to turn on sharp light after take off, when at least half of the pax try to sleep. In this respect, I am always happy with LH, low light on dark hour flights is about the only thing I like about them. It would cost them nothing if they tried to be polite. (unless, they really do it because they hope to sell more catering, which would be so LCC-like ...)
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
This is one where there is no winning for the airlines. Make a light service concept for sleeper flights and people complain that there is no proper food, make a full service concept and people complain they can't sleep, but even when they have a both people complain that the noise from the meal service for the rest of the passengers prevents sleeping. So whatever they do there is a section of the passengers that are unhappy.
​​​​​
1) Make an announcement that because its a night flight, people want to sleep.
2) Dim the lights to the bare minimum needed to eat and reduce noise levels to the minimum as well. This includes not throwing with cutlery, not chatting in the galley and asking people engaging in loud conversation to stop it.
3) Let the passenger decide.

Making an attempt to satisfy both is better than making an attempt that completely ignores one category. In the above, you give those wanting a full meal service the chance to enjoy it while also making an attempt to give those needing the sleep on the flight because they go straight into meetings/work the chance to do so.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Actually SAS used to have a fast dining option on ORD/EWR/IAD-CPH/OSL/ARN flights as well as a full meal. Can not remember when it disappeared.
I know. It was done in one of the cost cutting exercises. Same one where they cut the red clothes peg to hold your napkin, the cloth towels in the J lavatories, and the salt and pepper shakers. I'd say autumn 2013.

They also had a one tray meal service for the 22:45 Bangkok service. That one suited me quite well.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
1) Make an announcement that because its a night flight, people want to sleep.
2) Dim the lights to the bare minimum needed to eat and reduce noise levels to the minimum as well. This includes not throwing with cutlery, not chatting in the galley and asking people engaging in loud conversation to stop it.
3) Let the passenger decide.

Making an attempt to satisfy both is better than making an attempt that completely ignores one category. In the above, you give those wanting a full meal service the chance to enjoy it while also making an attempt to give those needing the sleep on the flight because they go straight into meetings/work the chance to do so.
My personal preference is the light snack model applied by e.g.JAL or ANA. But whatever the airline chooses to do I can sleep through it if I want to.

My point was only that as you have spent some time on various fora here, you get the gist that whatever they do for night flight service they upset about the same amount of people. Just not the same people

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 21, 2017 at 6:48 am
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:47 am

Was flying HAM-CPH-BHX in Plus yesterday and the Plus meal on the CPH-BHX segment was again revolting... I settled for beer and potato chips.

Anyhow I think out of 10 Plus passengers 7 looked at and then rejected the meal box.

they should just cut that c**p.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
Was flying HAM-CPH-BHX in Plus yesterday and the Plus meal on the CPH-BHX segment was again revolting... I settled for beer and potato chips.

Anyhow I think out of 10 Plus passengers 7 looked at and then rejected the meal box.

they should just cut that c**p.
It would interesting if you could share a picture and/or the content of what the offending item was...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:59 am

I did not took a picture but everybody knows what is in the box when I describe it:

- Some mixed green salad leaves without any kind of dressing
- cold bulgur mixed with some onions and vegetables pieces
- a slice of cold cut (I think it was some kind of Roastbeef)
- not to forget the horseradish Creme
- some small in plastic laminated piece of cake
- a piece of butter and cheese

i have seen exactly this box at least three dozens of times in the last 12 month and I gave it a try a couple of times... actually it tastes as bad as it sounds and looks.

it would be a dramatic increase in quality if they at least provide some salad dressing. But chewing down dry salad leaves? Come on...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I settled for beer and potato chips.
This describes 99% of my intra-EU trips, 50% of those being water + potato chips because I have to drive. Paying 6000SEK for a ticket doesn't give SAS the financial headroom to include 100SEK worth of edible items apparently.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:02 am

a slice of cold cut (I think it was some kind of Roastbeef)
Exactly as described (the box content) however they were beef slices (I haven't touched them but they seemed to be about 10 or perhaps just very thick) and, believe it or not, smoked salmon on the side, too! Oh, and you forgot the cookies I'm assuming you were on the 17:45 flight (I was on the morning service yesterday, but I'm quite familiar with the box on the evening service back to CPH).

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Mar 21, 2017 at 11:13 am
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I'm assuming you were on the 17:45 flight
Yes, on SK2535. At least the dinner in the Radisson was nice enough...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
The meal I had in Plus from CPH-EWR was atrocious... I fear what they served in coach. I've not seen anything that bad in years on a plane. It was supposedly fish but the thing was mostly unidentifiable... the sauce had flavour, the middle part was something - purple, maybe carrot and cauliflower mush? It was bland mush that was at least colourful. Then the veg was romanesco broccoli which was absurdly mushy (like the rest of it). Salad was acceptable, bread was acceptable, dessert was acceptable.

But definitely not eating the food in Plus on the transatlantic again... this was... impressive in the awfulness.

Glad I was in business on the return and for my upcoming transatlantics.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by AStarr
I fear what they served in coach.
The same.

Last edited by Tango Alpha; Apr 1, 2017 at 2:47 am Reason: Technical quoting-error
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=Tango Alpha;28076669]
Originally Posted by AStarr
The meal I had in Plus from CPH-EWR was atrocious... I fear what they served in coach.QUOTE]

The same.
I want to post a photo so someone might be able to give me an idea of what was served but I need to upload it somewhere first?

My other meals in Plus going back and forth from Manchester to Copenhagen have been really entertaining. After reading through this thread, I have to come to the conclusion that I just naturally like Scandinavian food. The quality isn't that great on the planes but the boxes are pretty decent. I prefer them over what I've received on other airlines in the past with only one or two rare exceptions.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=AStarr;28076692]
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha

I want to post a photo so someone might be able to give me an idea of what was served but I need to upload it somewhere first?

My other meals in Plus going back and forth from Manchester to Copenhagen have been really entertaining. After reading through this thread, I have to come to the conclusion that I just naturally like Scandinavian food. The quality isn't that great on the planes but the boxes are pretty decent. I prefer them over what I've received on other airlines in the past with only one or two rare exceptions.
If you go to the Members section and My Flyertalk, there is "Pictures and Albums" where you can upload Pictures. Then click on the Picture and below it there is a line you can copy to the post to embed the picture. There is also an option to upload directly which I have not looked in to yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.