FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Airport-managed lounges discontinued for SAS passengers. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1808690-airport-managed-lounges-discontinued-sas-passengers.html)

ksu Dec 28, 2016 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by view (Post 27671413)
It appears you have been drinking too much aquavit these last few days, as I have decidedly not indicated such a thing ;)

Another user was commenting on the fact that SK is not able to deny access to EBG+ to any Star alliance Gold lounge, and who would pay for such access when flying another carrier than SK.

So the only way SK could theoretically block such access (which they are not actually doing) would be to leave the alliance.

I am sorry for allowing myself to get lost in the hypotheticalities of the subdiscussion!:D

view Dec 29, 2016 12:36 am

Originally Posted by ksu (Post 27673575)
I am sorry for allowing myself to get lost in the hypotheticalities of the subdiscussion!:D

LOL - Happy Christmas ^

jfidler Dec 29, 2016 8:27 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 27666888)
The problem is not the long haul J passengers. The problem is that SK is primarily a shorthaul airline, and on the cheap Go lounge access eats too much of the margin in the current environment. And probably also on the cheapo Plus tickets. They should find a way to include it for J long haul connections. But I guess it might be tricky to write rules that are simple, understandable and enforceable. And we ended up with this.

In the US, you only get free lounge access if you are on an international itinerary, at least when flying on UA, and I believe AA and DL are the same way:

"All eligible premium cabin customers must be traveling on an international itinerary or in United Business® on a p.s.® Premium Service flight between New York/Newark and Los Angeles or San Francisco. " [Link]

I noticed one way they handle this based on my recent flight on UA where I connected on a domestic US flight first. The boarding passes are printed with "INTL" so it's clear you're on an international itinerary.

The example above is how UA treats their own premium flyers. You can indeed get lounge access on a US domestic-only itinerary, if you use a *G card from a non-US airline.

Anyway, the point is that SK could indeed still provide lounge access for all legs of an itinerary that includes a long-haul flight, by just indicating it on the boarding pass to make it clear. However, that would require some work on SAS's IT side so... ready in 2018?

ksu Dec 29, 2016 8:42 am

Originally Posted by jfidler (Post 27676078)
Anyway, the point is that SK could indeed still provide lounge access for all legs of an itinerary that includes a long-haul flight, by just indicating it on the boarding pass to make it clear. However, that would require some work on SAS's IT side so... ready in 2018?

They do, as long as there is a lounge there. Most domestic airports don't have lounges. Even SVG only has lounge access for international flights leaving from SVG, not for connecting domestic flights. BGO - Norway's second city - don't have lounges yet.

SAS will give access to qualified customers as long as there is a SAS, WF (SVG INT) or Star Alliance lounge there. The problem discussed here are the third-party lounges at minor outstations.

GUWonder Dec 29, 2016 10:00 am

You can indeed get lounge access on a US domestic-only itinerary, if you use a *G card from a non-US airline.

UA*Gs on UA domestic flights can use the *G lounges in the US when the lounges are not operated by UA -- as with LH*G lounge at IAD -- if they can manage getting airside access to the lounge for departure purposes on the same day as their departing Star Alliance flight.

SkyTeam ElitePlus on domestic DL flights are out of luck with regards to using SkyTeam status to access DL lounges in the US.

SK989 Dec 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by ksu (Post 27676131)
SAS will give access to qualified customers as long as there is a SAS, WF (SVG INT) or Star Alliance lounge there. The problem discussed here are the third-party lounges at minor outstations.

I wouldn't say it's all about minor outstations. E.g. TLL and GDN has 7-8 daily SAS departures each and will have no lounge access at all for neither EBG/EBD or Plus passengers. It's not typical leisure destinations either.

CPH-Flyer Dec 30, 2016 12:08 am

In the US, you only get free lounge access if you are on an international itinerary, at least when flying on UA, and I believe AA and DL are the same way:

"All eligible premium cabin customers must be traveling on an international itinerary or in United Business® on a p.s.® Premium Service flight between New York/Newark and Los Angeles or San Francisco. " [[URL="https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/lounge/access.aspx"]Link]

I noticed one way they handle this based on my recent flight on UA where I connected on a domestic US flight first. The boarding passes are printed with "INTL" so it's clear you're on an international itinerary.

The example above is how UA treats their own premium flyers. You can indeed get lounge access on a US domestic-only itinerary, if you use a *G card from a non-US airline.

SK is not taking lounge acces away in general, only for 3rd party operated lounges. So unlike the US you still get it if there is a Star Alliance lounge. And most of these departures are already international. It is then long haul International they would need to allow. And of course they could flag that in the system, should they want to. But United is "stuck" with giving non UA *G access on any itinerary, and I guess SK would then also here. Partially defeating their point of reducing costs. UA is making this limitation to sell membership access in the US, which is a slightly different purpose.
​​​​​

Essingeviken Dec 30, 2016 10:16 am

Isn't all this fraudulent?

I buy a ticket for future travel on the basis that I will get certain benefits, including access to a lounge and the ability to use fast track.

However, before I travel SAS removes a number of these benefits.

This seems to me that it is like ordering a car on the basis that you will get a specific model and then being provided with an inferior model without any price reduction.

CPH-Flyer Dec 30, 2016 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Essingeviken (Post 27681036)
I buy a ticket for future travel on the basis that I will get certain benefits, including access to a lounge and the ability to use fast track.

However, before I travel SAS removes a number of these benefits.

This seems to me that it is like ordering a car on the basis that you will get a specific model and then being provided with an inferior model without any price reduction.

Well, not exactly fraudulent as they announce it in advance. You are free to cancel and get a refund if you are not happy with the change.

Fraudulent might be if you showed up in the airport and the benefits were gone. Or they refused a refund.

studentCPH Dec 30, 2016 11:56 am

Would they actually offer to cancel a Plus Saver fare based on this? Or a Go fare for *G?

FlyingMoose Dec 31, 2016 7:52 am

In case they did not you'd most likely receive some smaller compensation such as points, so don't let the possible lack of a refund keep you from complaining.

I find that most of the airport operated lounges are terrible and that it is hardly a loss outside of the occasional overcrowded terminal lacking functional wifi. Typically easily mitigated by a better selection of flights or change of carrier.

tsastor Jan 1, 2017 2:38 am

Diners Club lounge access is free for Finnair Gold and Plat. Maybe SAS should do the same for EBG+?

KiwiRob Jan 3, 2017 4:51 am

Originally Posted by ksu (Post 27676131)

I wouldn't call Moscow and St Petersburg minor outstations.

ksu Jan 3, 2017 5:16 am

Originally Posted by KiwiRob (Post 27696499)
I wouldn't call Moscow and St Petersburg minor outstations.

Oh? LED has a maximum of two daily departures on SK, Moscow is not a SK destination at all anymore, according to the SAS NO Homepage. A destination with no or just a couple of daily flights, that is not a *A hub nor a destination for intercontinental flights is a minor outstation for SAS, even though the cities as such are major cities. LPA could be seen as a more important destination for SK than LED.

SK AAR Jan 3, 2017 7:54 am

TLL and VNO are certainly not minor outstations. I believe SK has numerous flights to CPH, ARN and OSL every day.

I was at TLL last month (in SAS Plus) and the lounge was pleasant. The interior was bit dated and on the dark side, but the food and beverages on offer was on par or better than what you find at SK business lounge at CPH.

I have a flight from BLL to TLL r/t (via ARN) in SAS Plus coming up and I'm quite disappointed that lounge access at BLL and TLL is no longer available. I will survive but my incentive to book SAS Plus in the future has diminished.