Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Airport-managed lounges discontinued for SAS passengers.

Airport-managed lounges discontinued for SAS passengers.

Old Dec 23, 16, 4:05 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by imartin2k View Post
Personally, as *A gold member and considering that *A is branding itself as the biggest and leading alliance, I have this expectation that on any significant airport of the world, there is at least one lounge for me to access if I am flying on a member airline - no matter which one. It adds a lot of mental costs and frustration if one constantly has to research in advance whether one will have lounge access or not.

In the end I would expect *A to actually force its member airlines to ensure lounge access for its elites (and premium passengers) on any airport with a certain size.
I agree that any significant airport should have a lounge option for *A. That being said, LPA is a charter/tour/holiday destination where yeilds are virtually non existent as passengers are price sensitive to the last 10 kroner. It is one of the airports where I could see some sense in not offering a lounge option.

I do believe the lounge in LPA used to offer a walk up pay for access option, but that may have changed.
Old Dec 23, 16, 4:17 am

Programs: UA*G, SK*G
Yeah I think I agree with your point that it somehow is understandable/acceptable there. I found it remarkable that there were literally no *A flights at all that day from/to LPA, except 2 by SAS. And the plane I flew with had probably 50 % of the seats empty, despite a super cheap fare for an almost 6 hours flight.

I didn't ask actually whether it was able to buy access.
Old Dec 23, 16, 6:25 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Interestingly, some of these changes already have been applied, it seems.
On Tuesday I flew from LPA on SAS to ARN. I am *A Gold (on UA) and was told that there is no lounge access. I went to the only lounge available and was in fact denied entry.
AFAIK SK has never offered lounge access at LPA. I have travelled from Gran Canaria on SK several times, and have never had access to any lounge there.

So no change there.
Old Dec 23, 16, 6:29 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ksu View Post
AFAIK SK has never offered lounge access at LPA. I have travelled from Gran Canaria on SK several times, and have never had access to any lounge there.

So no change there.
It is listed by SK as one of the destinations being cut. Whether they are just exaggerating the cuts or not, I can't say for sure.
Old Dec 23, 16, 6:36 am
ksu

Yeah I think I agree with your point that it somehow is understandable/acceptable there. I found it remarkable that there were literally no *A flights at all that day from/to LPA, except 2 by SAS. And the plane I flew with had probably 50 % of the seats empty, despite a super cheap fare for an almost 6 hours flight.

After the demise of Spanair *A has basically given up on the business market to the canaries, leaving this to SkyTeam (Air Europa) and One World (Iberia). SAS and DY serves the Scandinavian leisure market. Christmas is high season at LPA, as many Scandinavians vacation there (and many live there/have second homes there). It is not surprising at all that the flights were nearly empty: you flew in the wrong direction. The flights from LPA to Norway are basically positioning flights to get the airframes and crew back to Scandinavia after flying Christmas vacationeers south. The planes to LPA were probably crowded, and believe me: they are not super cheap. Flights to LPA are good money makers for SK. To compare with another high season fare: OSL-LPA on Saturday April 8 (start of Easter holidays). SAS has two non-stop flights: 08.30 and 09.00. The cheapest fare in Go Light one way is NOK 3805 (08.30) and NOK 5005 (09.00). The Plus fares are NOK 4655 and NOK 7085 respectively. One way.
Old Dec 23, 16, 6:39 am
ksu

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
It is listed by SK as one of the destinations being cut. Whether they are just exaggerating the cuts or not, I can't say for sure.
Wasn't it just fast track that was cut?

SAS today claims that the news about cutting of contract lounges is wrong, but their spin doesn't sound too trustworthy.

http://e24.no/boers-og-finans/sas/sa...mping/23881134
Old Dec 23, 16, 6:40 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB

Well e.g. LH has Eurowings and SunExpress and they are not part of *A. So from that point of view it is quite nice that SK didn't made a similar split of their leisure business.
Old Dec 23, 16, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by ksu View Post
Wasn't it just fast track that was cut?

SAS today claims that the news about cutting of contract lounges is wrong, but their spin doesn't sound too trustworthy.

http://e24.no/boers-og-finans/sas/sa...mping/23881134
They say the 3rd party contracts are ending, but will be replaced by *A lounges, so no change. However, most of these locations don't have a *A lounge. So unless they are back pedalling very fast their message is only true from a certain point of view.
Old Dec 23, 16, 8:15 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
I agree that any significant airport should have a lounge option for *A. That being said, LPA is a charter/tour/holiday destination where yeilds are virtually non existent as passengers are price sensitive to the last 10 kroner. It is one of the airports where I could see some sense in not offering a lounge option.

I do believe the lounge in LPA used to offer a walk up pay for access option, but that may have changed.
As EBG four years ago I remember not getting access to the lounge, so this isn't necessarily something new.
Old Dec 23, 16, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by chrisljo View Post
As EBG four years ago I remember not getting access to the lounge, so this isn't necessarily something new.
Nonetheless, if you look at the SK document linked in post 18, LPA is listed as one of the airports loosing lounge access from Feb 1st. This may be old, however then that is pretty poor PR work from SK's side....
Old Dec 23, 16, 8:52 am

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
After last enhancements *G flying with SAS from from airport with discontinued lounge contract are not allowed to lounge access.

What if he will be invited by other *G flying on other *A airline ?
- lounge access not possible, because SK do not have contract with lounge
- lounge access granted as guest of other *G (according to *A rules the only valid *A BP is required)

And if the access will be granted who will pay for such access SK or operating airline of passenger who invite the SK passenger ?
Old Dec 23, 16, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by SPlDER View Post
After last enhancements *G flying with SAS from from airport with discontinued lounge contract are not allowed to lounge access.

What if he will be invited by other *G flying on other *A airline ?
- lounge access not possible, because SK do not have contract with lounge
- lounge access granted as guest of other *G (according to *A rules the only valid *A BP is required)

And if the access will be granted who will pay for such access SK or operating airline of passenger who invite the SK passenger ?
The Star Alliance rules for guests only applies to Star Alliance lounges. For contract lounges it may not always be able to bring a guest flying another Star Alliance carrier. This will depend on the carrier.
Old Dec 27, 16, 5:20 am

They say the 3rd party contracts are ending, but will be replaced by *A lounges, so no change. However, most of these locations don't have a *A lounge. So unless they are back pedalling very fast their message is only true from a certain point of view.
SAS is honestly lying in the article. If you look at some destinations in the Nordic/Baltic region SAS passengers in Plus or with EBG/EBD status will have no lounge access at all from 2017. Why? Well, there are no Star Alliance lounges there and SAS will not offer lounge access to the lounges that do exist to their premium passengers any more - to save money. It's not small destinations we are talking about either: TLL, RIX, VNO, KEF to mention some. TLL for example has up to 7 daily departures with SAS.

The corporate bs from SAS about "improving the travel experience" does not fly with me. SAS is cutting costs, devaluating their Plus product without lowering the price or offering something better. They are not fooling me nor many others I hope.
Old Dec 27, 16, 7:21 am

Programs: SK EBG, LH FTL, BWR Gold
Originally Posted by SK989 View Post
SAS is honestly lying in the article. If you look at some destinations in the Nordic/Baltic region SAS passengers in Plus or with EBG/EBD status will have no lounge access at all from 2017. Why? Well, there are no Star Alliance lounges there and SAS will not offer lounge access to the lounges that do exist to their premium passengers any more - to save money. It's not small destinations we are talking about either: TLL, RIX, VNO, KEF to mention some. TLL for example has up to 7 daily departures with SAS.

The corporate bs from SAS about "improving the travel experience" does not fly with me. SAS is cutting costs, devaluating their Plus product without lowering the price or offering something better. They are not fooling me nor many others I hope.
Fully agreed. GDN will have one more (5th) daily flight from/to CPH and one more destination, Bergen, in 2017 apart from CPH, OSL and ARN, but will have no lounge access for EBG/EBD. Sic!

Sure, it was quite easy to qualify for *A Gold in SAS and have all the privileges and IMHO that was sth which gained them lots of customers (including me), maybe too many. Now, I will choose other airlines, SAS is not so cheap... I can live without Fast Track (crowd is mostly before 6:00 and sometimes in the afternoon). I do not also fly with 4x 23kg on intra-European in Plus (always with 1 bag basically) so I do not need that too.

Not sure what was mentioned here before about flying with other *A carrier with lounge access. Will check that on... 01FEB in Aberdeen - yeah, Aberdeen Swissport lounge is also terminated then Hopefully I will fly with LH and get lounge access. If not, PP will save me!

I hope they will improve SAS lounges in the hubs. Comparing to Maple Leaf lounge in FRA or lounges for *A Gold members in WAW or PEK they simply suck (food selection does not even exist, only basic strong alcohols, some chips, coke or coffee/tea...).

I see two consequences: They gonna lose all premium pax or all pax outside Scandinavia at all.

Last edited by jacosopot; Dec 27, 16 at 7:31 am
Old Dec 27, 16, 8:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
From MAN I can connect to the US via almost any European airline (or US airline come to think of it) and most give me lounge access on both sectors holding a J ticket for the long haul bit. Ditto with probably every other non-Scandinavian connecting passenger.

SAS must be mad doing this - the cost of lounge access for the first sector can't be huge compared to the 2k cost of a J ticket to the US.

I can still get access to the T1 MAN lounge with Diners or PP but that's chargeable.

I think this will backfire on them.

Search this Thread