FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Airport-managed lounges discontinued for SAS passengers. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1808690-airport-managed-lounges-discontinued-sas-passengers.html)

oliver2002 Jul 6, 2019 1:11 pm

WF uses T1 in MUC, so there is no practical way to the T2 lounge ;)

ksu Jul 6, 2019 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31275824)
WF uses T1 in MUC, so there is no practical way to the T2 lounge ;)

True, but that does not apply to Hamburg

ImportViking Jul 10, 2019 5:43 am

Originally Posted by RedChili (Post 31257749)
I realize that the answer to the following question will depend on which employer somebody has, and if they're self-employed, etc. But e.g. the WRO lounge gives *G and *S pax flying with SK a discounted access for PLN 49, which in my opinion is an extremely good offer. Wouldn't most employers be willing to cough up those 49 zloty to give their employees some valuable time to work and/or rest?

Executive Lounge Port Lotniczy Wroc?aw

SAS probably paid even less per passenger for lounge access, as I assume they got a quantum discount. At least not anything more, as I can imagine that this lounge wants to remain viable. As it's a third party contract lounge, they probably have to get a number of passengers there in order to survive, hence the offer to SK*G and even SK*S, I guess.

This current lounge policy means, in practice, that SK wants to get rid of my business with 3000+NOK Plus tickets, just over an 80NOK or so lounge access issue. Talk about being penny wise and pound foolish. Let's not get my 2920+NOK net so we avoid paying those 80NOK somewhere else!

The stories about what can be claimed as travel costs sound very familiar. I used to have employers like that. Paying $300 a night for a hotel stay which includes parking, breakfast and internet for meals is ok, but a $200 stay at the same hotel, in the same room, without those amenities included, but with paying $5 a night for internet access at a hotel is an issue. Whereas paying $50 to use my cell phone as hot spot isn't as issue at all... I currently have an employer that does not repay any meal costs but rather pays me extra salary each month. Doesn't that mean that staying at home would be cheaper? Not really, as Norway is hugely expensive and for example Poland isn't, although it's becoming more expensive really fast now. And I get the extra salary because I travel. It's a good deal, saves a lot of trouble, makes that I build up extra retirement funds and the net amount is usually quite much bigger than what I would put on the travel account. Only when it's a business dinner on behalf of the company or other costs directly related to work, then I can get them reimbursed.

highupinthesky Jul 15, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm currently on an assignment which brings me to destinations which are only served regularly by LX or LH. I'm EB *G and know which lounges I have access. But out of curiosity I'm wondering who will pay the lounge access in the below cases.
  • Eco on LH metal entering the LH senator lounge at FRA. It's my EB *G status which grants me the access, but is it LH or SK who pays for the access?
  • Bizz on LX metal entering the LH senator lounge at FRA. Again it's my EB *G status with grants me the access, but this time it's not a LH flight, so does it change who pay?
  • Bizz on LX metal entering the LX bizz lounge at Zurich. I assume it will be the bizz ticket which will grant me the access despite it being a *G lounge and I have *G status. Am I correct assuming it will be LX who pays for the access?
  • Eco on LH metal entering the Erste Premier lounge in PRG. Despite it being a contract lounge, LH apparently grant you access if you are *G and fly LH metal. But are they also paying?

fassy Jul 15, 2019 2:44 pm

I think it is always the operating carrier who pays for lounge access (and fast track security or similar).

Nick Art Jul 15, 2019 2:59 pm

I have no answer for your question, but I was under the impression that it‘s always the operating carrier paying. Unless it‘s star alliance lounges, then it‘s the program?

But more importantly: Is there a reason you are not visiting the Swiss Senator Lounge in ZRH? It‘s a bit nicer than the Business lounge and next to each Business lounge in ZRH there is a Senator lounge for *G only...

CPH-Flyer Jul 15, 2019 4:18 pm

I don't think it is exactly well know public information, but the hints and the discussions over the years here on FT seems to be

Star Alliance and Star Alliance lounges, the one that grants you access to the lounge pays. So if you use status (eg. Senator lounges or business lounges on Y) the FFP pays. If your tickets grants you access, J tix for J lounge, the carrier pays. Contract lounges, the carrier always pays.

Oneworld, the operating carrier always pays.

OW seems to be the practical solution, it is much easier to manage. The airlines are probably calculating this through the alliance and only pay the net at the end, still quite a bit of a puzzle to verify the whether the charge is correct on the *A side.

Caveat, I don't have inside information it. Is based on reading what people post here and seems to be the consensus.

​​​​​​So the payers in the examples should be

Eurobonus
Eurobonus
Swiss
​​​​Lufthansa

RedChili Jul 16, 2019 2:23 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31307024)
Star Alliance and Star Alliance lounges, the one that grants you access to the lounge pays. So if you use status (eg. Senator lounges or business lounges on Y) the FFP pays. If your tickets grants you access, J tix for J lounge, the carrier pays. Contract lounges, the carrier always pays.

To me, this does not make sense at all. Several airlines have different lounges for C-class and *G, such as SK, LX and SQ. According to this theory, when a C-class passenger with *G is flying SK, LX or SQ, it's the choice of the lounge made by the passenger which determines who will pay the bill. SQ actually has better lounges for C-class than *G. So, if a SK*G flying SQ C-class decides to use the C lounge in SIN, then SQ pays, but if he decides to use the *G lounge, then SK has to pay SQ?

CPH-Flyer Jul 16, 2019 2:29 am

Originally Posted by RedChili (Post 31308307)
To me, this does not make sense at all. Several airlines have different lounges for C-class and *G, such as SK, LX and SQ. According to this theory, when a C-class passenger with *G is flying SK, LX or SQ, it's the choice of the lounge made by the passenger which determines who will pay the bill. SQ actually has better lounges for C-class than *G. So, if a SK*G flying SQ C-class decides to use the C lounge in SIN, then SQ pays, but if he decides to use the *G lounge, then SK has to pay SQ?

Actually, if you go to the Krisflyer Gold lounge with an SQ J ticket, expect a certain level of resistance, and encouragement to go to the Silverkris Lounge instead. Same for coming with another *A carrier J ticket.

I did not say it made sense. Nor that I have every part of the picture, as that is generally not public information. So take it as guiding principles, but the intricate details of very specific cases as you list above, there is no knowing.

highupinthesky Jul 16, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art (Post 31306814)
But more importantly: Is there a reason you are not visiting the Swiss Senator Lounge in ZRH? It‘s a bit nicer than the Business lounge and next to each Business lounge in ZRH there is a Senator lounge for *G only...

On the first ZRH trip I traveled together with 2 colleges who only had business lounge access. To me it didn't look like there were any difference between the two at all, but will try the Senator lounge next time, where I'm on my own.

AverageHighFlyer Jul 16, 2019 11:47 am

I don’t know the answer to the question, but I do remember having a conversation with one of the staff at the old SAS lounge at LHR T3. We were discussing how there wouldn’t be an SAS lounge once T2 opened, and she mentioned that it was a shame since the lounge was net profitable for the company. In other words, SAS was making profit off the other alliance partners by providing the lounge.

Now, the LH lounges at T2 are vastly superior, so in the end it worked out well... :)

Nick Art Jul 17, 2019 2:59 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky (Post 31309552)
On the first ZRH trip I traveled together with 2 colleges who only had business lounge access. To me it didn't look like there were any difference between the two at all, but will try the Senator lounge next time, where I'm on my own.

Well, the one in A is very similar, but a little less crowded. The one in D is pretty much the same but also less crowded and the one in E is much better than the J lounge (Whisky bar!).

highupinthesky Jul 17, 2019 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art (Post 31312330)
Well, the one in A is very similar, but a little less crowded. The one in D is pretty much the same but also less crowded and the one in E is much better than the J lounge (Whisky bar!).

I'm not sure I'll have time to go to D, E or J. I only have 50 min. when there are no delays, and both arrival and departure is at A. But thanks for the info.

TPJ Nov 11, 2019 5:23 am

WAW Update

WAW has LO lounges, so all *G flying on SK had access (I am not sure about non-status Plus passengers).

Today I walked next to the Airport Authorities lounge (Schengen - across the concourse from gate 30) and - to my surprise - SK is listed as the airline tiered and 'Business' (I guess Plus) passengers have access to.

I guess it is the same thing as at LHR T2 - SK cut a deal with the 3rd party lounge to pay less then the *A partner airline would charge them for access.

The WAW Airport Authorities lounge is fine - food is OK and normally it is fairly empty. Some pictures here: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=pl...VWgSutq--u0MXO

JR67 Nov 11, 2019 5:56 am

Originally Posted by TPJ (Post 31724287)
WAW has LO lounges, so all *G flying on SK had access (I am not sure about non-status Plus passengers).

Today I walked next to the Airport Authorities lounge (Schengen - across the concourse from gate 30) and - to my surprise - SK is listed as the airline tiered and 'Business' (I guess Plus) passengers have access to.

I guess it is the same thing as at LHR T2 - SK cut a deal with the 3rd party lounge to pay less then the *A partner airline would charge them for access.

While I am happy to see that SK still has access to some contract lounges, your logic doesn't really work. Why would they cut a deal with a lounge that is cheaper than LO when they are not allowed to cut relations with the LO lounge? Doesn't make any sense. If SK was going to use contract lounges they would logically use them at outstations without another *G lounge.