Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Access all areas....EXCEPT an airport lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)

For the last two decades I have been in the fortunate position like [it appears] a significant majority on here, and had lounge access prior to most flights. I will shortly be flying from London Heathrow to Stockholm on SAS with t'other half, so we will be seeing Heathrow in a very different light (I can't even recall the last flight I didn't have lounge access). So...what did you do at an airport the last time you DIDN'T have lounge access at one you normally did, and what exciting adventures did you have outside of the lounge, and what interesting discoveries were made?

[And no...paying for another lounge is a cheat option as a response to this thread ]
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Quite a shame too, as the Plaza Premium in T2 is my favourite lounge at Heathrow!

I will often skip the lounge despite having Priority Pass, the novelty has worn off after a few years of heavy travelling. Often much nicer to just sit down in Pret and watch the hustle and bustle in the terminal!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm a sucker for sitting at Yo Sushi gorging myself, something therapeutic about watching all those tasty plates wind back and forth on the belt
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
T2 is Heathrow's most pleasant terminal, dare I say it almost serene. Plenty of nice places to eat and drink and much less manic than T5.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Why not check out Heston Blumenthal's restaurant at T2? Personally I've never been, but the food's got to be way better than lounge food.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Go to Boots and play the 'See how many things I can buy and carry without paying 5p for a Bag' game
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I buy the food and drink I need, or eat/drink in a suitable restaurant, then buy other things i need, perhaps look in shops if I'm somewhat bored, then try to find a comfortable place to sit and read or use the Internet.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Only1BD
So...what did you do at an airport the last time you DIDN'T have lounge access at one you normally did, and what exciting adventures did you have outside of the lounge, and what interesting discoveries were made?
JNB domestic, June 2016: I went to Wimpy and bought some breakfast. The adventures were not exciting, and the discoveries were few. However, the people watching was much more interesting than in the SLOW lounge.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Sit at the gate with a good book
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Stand in line as early as possible to ensure you can still put your luggage in the overhead bins.

Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Only1BD
For the last two decades I have been in the fortunate position like [it appears] a significant majority on here, and had lounge access prior to most flights. I will shortly be flying from London Heathrow to Stockholm on SAS with t'other half, so we will be seeing Heathrow in a very different light (I can't even recall the last flight I didn't have lounge access). So...what did you do at an airport the last time you DIDN'T have lounge access at one you normally did, and what exciting adventures did you have outside of the lounge, and what interesting discoveries were made?

[And no...paying for another lounge is a cheat option as a response to this thread ]
Well if paying isn't an option...

Blagging your way into a lounge by:

(a) sweet talking an agent saying you're a high status frequent flyer on BA (showing your gold card) and would love to have a quick tour to see what *A offers. If you get a tour you're likely to be left in there.

(b) sweet talking another couple with status to guest you into the lounge gratis.

(c) blagging an upgrade at check in (most airlines don't have BA's DUT) using most of the chat in (a) above

Other than the above, I'm really lost as to what to advise you. I've seen some shops, etc. before I think. Oh! And there's a really long walkway in T2 to keep you amused/fit.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Most of my travel through LHR up until a few years ago has been without lounge access.
I found my desire for food and drink was much less back then. A coffee or a pint was about as much as I used to have.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by Lefly
+1 for reading the book. If my plan for the lounge is reading (and the wait is minutes rather than hours) I tend to skip the lounge, plug ears, and read in the gate. It allows me to read quite a few pages more than if I went to to the lounge. I use the time optimally.

In US airports, I also kill quite some time, bying newspapers and magazines. I am in US only 2-3 times a year, and I am not based in UK, so a lot of stuff is interesting, and not easily accessible. I usually bring reading for a few weeks back home (yes, I still like to get some magazines and papers "on paper" not on kindle).
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by Lefly
Or buy the Reader's Digest at the kiosk, if everything else fails. Nice retro feeling.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Stare at your phone screen and pretend to be important - seems to work for 99% of the population!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.