SAS at LHR T2

Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK Pandion, BA Silver
SAS at LHR T2

Wondering if anybody knows what the plans for SAS is at the new T2 at Heathrow.

SAS is one of the largest carriers at Heathrow as measured by number of slots and top 10 by number of passengers.

They are moving to T2 as one of the last *alliance carriers, but what are the plans in detail?

- main terminal gates or satellite?
- lounge?
- separate check-in area?

Does anybody know?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Well...

10 September 2014 is the move date in case anyone wasnt aware.

Google search gets this info:
Lufthansa will open its own lounge at London Heathrow's new Terminal 2 next October.
As previously reported, both United and Air Canada will have their own lounges at T2 (see news, November 6).
There will be no separate Star Alliance lounge such as that existing at T1 presently.

So it would seem likely that SAS will continue to have their own lounge once migrated over to T2.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: SAS
I wonder if anyone here has been able to pick up some info/rumors/gossip from the lounge staff at T3 ?
Of course they may not be allowed to say anything about it at present, but inquiring minds wants to know
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AC/SQ/UA will have their own lounges, LH will open a set of lounges (SEN/*A), SK will not have their own anymore. The LH lounge will be open all day, and become the defacto *A lounge since the other three will not stay open all the time.

Expect big press releases in the next weeks.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:16 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AC/SQ/UA will have their own lounges, LH will open a set of lounges (SEN/*A), SK will not have their own anymore. The LH lounge will be open all day, and become the defacto *A lounge since the other three will not stay open all the time.

Hmm good to know. I wonder where that leaves my weekly 6:40am LHR departure lounge options!!!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
So it would seem likely that SAS will continue to have their own lounge once migrated over to T2.
What leads you to that conclusion? Have you seen any indication of this? Even if there will be no branded * lounge it is certainly not likely that all airlines get their own lounge.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Is it that easy? I understand that this will be in 2a.

Do you know where SAS will fly from 2A or 2B? Surely the de facto lounge will be in the building where they will leave from.

Looking forward to that. Do you have inside info?

I am fearing that the setup today where their lounge is very conveniently located right after the main shopping area and right next to gate 9 and 11 which are the main sad gates will be worse.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
Hmm good to know. I wonder where that leaves my weekly 6:40am LHR departure lounge options!!!
Maybe the new SQ first class lounge is not that bad.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by ScandiGB
Looking forward to that. Do you have inside info?
A first summary is here: http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...or-heathrow-t2

The dates of the moves are here:
http://www.heathrowairport.com/fligh.../airline-moves

I'm holding my breath on the access to the SQ lounge though. They are notorious for restricting access.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Interesting that AC opens a lounge and SK does not. In 2002ish when the new SAS lounge opened AC had closed their old lounge and started using the SK lounge. Before that the airlines had their own small lounges if I recall correctly.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: SAS EBG, BA Bronze, Thon Gold, Nordic Choice Silver
This looks promissing though...

"There will also be an arrivals lounge from United for everybody. Star gold members can go to any lounge they want to, whichever is closest to their departure gate."

(http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...or-heathrow-t2)
Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:52 am

Back when *A was in its infancy, AC/SK/TG/LH/UA wanted to conquer LHR and give BA a hard time, hence you saw lounges, bmi acquisition etc. Later on SQ joined, UA merged with CO and LH/BD/SK parted ways causing a wild mix in LHR in T1-4. I doubt SK still sees the need to have their own lounge in LHR, similar to BRU.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:50 am
Original Poster

when *A was in its infancy, AC/SK/TG/LH/UA wanted to conquer LHR ... Later ... a wild mix in LHR in T1-4. I doubt SK still sees the need to have their own lounge in LHR, similar to BRU.
Interesting points. I agree it seems like they won't have their own lounge based on announcements, but I don't understand the logic.

1. Now they are actually getting under one roof. Now they have a base that makes sense and potentially connections much easier.
2. The comparison with BRU may not be entirely fair. Tomorrow SAS has 20 flights leaving LHR bound for Scandinavia. On the same day it has 10 planes leaving BRU.

With every flexible ticket sold giving lounge access and with all gold members (was it 70,000?) having the same, it is lots of people who will now go to other lounges.

Does anybody know how the airlines in *A compensate each other for customers visiting lounges?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by ScandiGB
Does anybody know how the airlines in *A compensate each other for customers visiting lounges?
They credit each other about 20US$ for each visit, but its tallied thru a common *A clearing house with other services rendered, so no real money changes hands.

A common *A lounge in each zone of T2 makes more sense, why everyone should open their own lounge and replicate infrastructure?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:06 am
Original Poster

A common *A lounge in each zone of T2 makes more sense, why everyone should open their own lounge and replicate infrastructure?
Agree, but that we now know is not happening.

Peter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.