Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Connecting Norway at OSL [merged]

Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K

Hi Everyone

Flying CPH-OSL-TOS tomorrow on SAS metal. No checked baggage. Can I use Connecting Norway at OSL?

One possible wrinkle, my CPH-OSL leg is the last leg on a Transatlantic ticket. My OSL-TOS flight is on a different ticket.

Also, if I want to pick up bottle of duty-free scotch at OSL, I can do that and still use Connecting Norway, correct?

Again, any advice greatly appreciated. You have been very helpful with all my probably annoying questions and again I really appreciate your responses

YXEG
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
I connected through OSL on my way to KRS today on separate tickets and couldn't use the Connecting Norway route.

I arrived from LHR, turned left into flight connections security halfway down the corridor after passport control where my onward boarding pass was inspected, got through and was told to follow the Connecting Norway signs. I scanned the same boarding pass at the automatic gate at the customs channel, and was rejected. A member of staff then came over to tell me that if my connecting flight wasn't on the same ticket as the inbound, I'd have to go landside and start again.

Left me wondering what the point of Connecting Norway is...
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
That whole setup is a farce. Earlier this month I was on MUC-OSL-KRS on one ticket and the gate wouldn't open. The girl tried to explain me that 'BP is from Lufthansa, only SK & DY allowed! SAS and LH are not the same, your flight is by LH!' I offered to reprint my BP on SAS paper at the machine installed next to the gates, and she actually prevented me from doing so. 'will not work, you are flying Lufthansa!'

Tomorrow I'm doing MUC-OSL-BOO, and preemptively printed the BP for OSL-BOO on SAS.no using OLCI. Lets see if the gates work. I have two hours in OSL, so avoiding the hassle of security is nice, but not a must.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Arrgh, this connecting norway is utter ...

This time the reason given was that even though we had a ticket issued by SAS under SK flight numbers, the inbound flight was operated by a carrier other than SK or DY. They have an arrivals board showing which flights have been cleared to use the service now. Of course only DY/SK flights on that board.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Arrgh, this connecting norway is utter ...

This time the reason given was that even though we had a ticket issued by SAS under SK flight numbers, the inbound flight was operated by a carrier other than SK or DY. They have an arrivals board showing which flights have been cleared to use the service now. Of course only DY/SK flights on that board.
So, it has to be a single ticket and all operated by SK or DY? How silly.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:12 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
It is still only a test set up, thus only inbounds on SK and DY metal are included if you have luggage. Flights from MPX and ARN on SK and DY and SK are covered, as well as MUC on DY.

I can confirm that there is no problems in passing through on a LH-issued boarding pass, as long as the arriving metal/origin is covered. Two days ago we flew MUC-ARN-OSL-KSU on a SAS issued ticket, but with a LH issued boarding pass, and that was accepted by the machines. I have also travelled LHR-OSL-TRD with hand luggage only (SK/SK) and could pass through with no issue. How a LH/SK through ticket would work I do not know.

But do remember that Connecting Norway is still in a test period.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by ksu
How a LH/SK through ticket would work I do not know.
It doesn't work. Tried it twice in June.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:19 am

Conversely, a SAS-issued inbound ticket on AY (after last minute rebooking HEL-OSL) didn't work for me the other week - and even showing the original SK metal boarding pass didn't work.

That was, however, a tip I got from the purple shirted people - if the domestic boarding pass doesn't work at Connecting Norway, try the inbound international boarding pass.

There's nothing anywhere to suggest this is a trial anymore, for what it's worth. The only thing they appear to be trialling is exactly where the Connecting Norway corridor exits on the domestic side .
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:11 am
ksu

Originally Posted by klmml
Conversely, a SAS-issued inbound ticket on AY (after last minute rebooking HEL-OSL) didn't work for me the other week - and even showing the original SK metal boarding pass didn't work.

That was, however, a tip I got from the purple shirted people - if the domestic boarding pass doesn't work at Connecting Norway, try the inbound international boarding pass.

There's nothing anywhere to suggest this is a trial anymore, for what it's worth. The only thing they appear to be trialling is exactly where the Connecting Norway corridor exits on the domestic side .
It is still a trial, because not all airlines/origins are included.

https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-ai...necting-norway
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by ksu
It is still a trial, because not all airlines/origins are included.

https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-ai...necting-norway
That page is unchanged since Connecting Norway was launched.

It was, for a long time, announced on arrival (at least on SK) as a trial. No such announcements are made anymore and I don't remember seeing any signs in the terminal to that effect (I'll take a look in a couple of hours when I transit int-dom and see if I was wrong...).

Anyway, that page states:
From December 14, the service applies to all travelers with SAS and Norwegian traveling with hand luggage only.
which does not reflect my experience when travelling HBO. It has to be, it seems, a 117 ticket, on SK metal, with some magical requirements on the logo printed on the boarding pass, plus a random element of "computer says no".

I think the page is frankly a bit misleading, and the real-life experiences given in this thread are more helpful.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:41 am
ksu

The Norwegian page is slightly more helpful. It says that onboard announcements will be given on flights where passengers with checked luggage should use Connecting Norway. It certainly was announced on my ARN-OSL flight on Friday.

As I said, I had a LH-issued boarding pass and a 117 ticket. If the assumption is correct, that it has to be a 117 document, what would happen to passengers with luggage and a 701-document (WF), or for that matter a LH ticket which I certainly may have had on my SK-LH-LH-SK-SK itinerary. If a SK document is required, a passenger might be separated from his luggage, which from a customs perspective wouldn't be very sensible.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by ksu
The Norwegian page is slightly more helpful. It says that onboard announcements will be given on flights where passengers with checked luggage should use Connecting Norway. It certainly was announced on my ARN-OSL flight on Friday.
On WX HEL-OSL, it has never been announced, but you are right - yesterday on ARN-OSL with SK mainline it was announced. Consistent inconsistency again.

Incidentally, while I've gone INT-DOM at OSL maybe 20 times since the start of the year HBO, I'd like to add my first ever experience of Connecting Norway with a checked bag - it was terrible. So perhaps a longer trial period is necessary

On a quiet holiday Monday evening, there were ~30 people waiting over half an hour for their bags to be 'ready' (not the "20-25 minutes" waiting time suggested). Then it took a good 5 minutes for me to reach the head of the queue (people just didn't seem to understand the user interface at all and didn't stand aside, just blocked everyone else), and there was no indication that "the system" knew that I had checked baggage - other people seemed to have to select their bags from a few pictures, but I just let straight through, as was my travelling companion. Then it was a run to the gate at the far end of the domestic side.

If they can't make Connecting Norway work consistently, and can't get it to work efficiently for checked baggage, they shouldn't do it at all.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:45 am
ksu

Is HEL-OSL included in the trial yet?

The user interface is clearly faulty, and the assistants were more busy showing people who were not allowed to use CN the way to arrivals, or showing he way to tax free. The one two places before us in the queue had to identify her luggage, but didn't get through. The next in line apparently entered on her entry, meaning that his boarding pass did not work to exit into the domestc departure hall, and there were no-one there to help him out.

We had to wait 30 minutes for our luggage to be ready, and the flight to be listed, so they certainly have potential for making this more efficient!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by ksu
Is HEL-OSL included in the trial yet?
Well, good question - on DY I think it is, I've heard it advertised on board there (but I've only taken DY once on HEL-OSL since CN started, and I could be mistaking an announcement for HBO-only pax to use CN).

As for the list of origins for which checked baggage is included in CN, I cannot find a list on the Avinor website in English or in Norwegian.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
So I have this 55-minute SK connection ARN-OSL-BGO in the evening. What if my ARN flight is a bit late? Do I have to miss my BGO flight waiting for the "all bags cleared" signal? Or can I just go to the flight without "clearing"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.