Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Connecting Norway at OSL [merged]

Connecting Norway at OSL [merged]

Old Sep 13, 16, 9:48 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Posts: 584
Originally Posted by HkCaGu View Post
But did they make all connecting pax go upstairs? It was really annoying to me when WX flights park at outside stands, you take bus, enter the building downstairs, get yelled to go upstairs only to a board that does not list your flight and you're instructed by point #3 to go downstairs, and of course only to come back upstairs a whole lot of trouble later.
This is exactly why CN is, I think, a bad solution!

Usually they ask the first person off the flight where it is coming from (often in Norwegian even if the origin isn't a Scandinavian Language-speaking country!), and I presume that they know whether that flight is or is not enrolled in CN. But I've only once checked in a bag INT-OSL-DOM, so I'm not able to speak about how annoying this aspect of CN is.
klmml is offline  
Old Sep 14, 16, 1:38 am
  #32  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 40,821
I'm hoping/presuming this is a pilot/test run of a future solution they will implement when the new pier opens and OSL will have a bi level operation of the gates like in FRA/MUC.

What useful data they are getting from this trial I don't know. Right now its one big cluster.
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Sep 14, 16, 3:25 pm
  #33  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,048
The trial part is whether customs clearance, without the passenger being physically with his luggage, is as good from a customs point of view as the old system. The Norwegian customs authorities were very much against the CN concept.

A fact that appears to be underappreciated is that Norway really cannot be compared to the other Nordic countries when it comes to customs clearance of luggage to domestic destinations.

Norway has more domestic airports than any other Nordic country (around 50), and it simply would not be viable to do customs clearance at every single one of those for every single flight. Secondly, unlike Denmark, Sweden and Finland ALL international luggage has to be cleared by customs, whereas the other countries doesn't have to customs clear luggage from the European Union, which are the majority of international flights for all the Nordic countries.
ksu is offline  
Old Sep 15, 16, 12:29 am
  #34  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 40,821
Yes, I tried to explain that to my colleague when she asked 'why are we doing this ...?' Unfortunately when we arrived at KRS a KL flight from AMS arrived and customs was out in full force with dog and all. Then a month later the same happened in TRD. We come in via OSL, colleagues come in via AMS. Flights arrive around the same time, customs is present at the luggage hall too
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Sep 15, 16, 2:09 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Posts: 1,936
Originally Posted by ksu View Post
The Norwegian customs authorities were very much against the CN concept.
From a job protection perspective or did they have reasonable arguments?

Norway has more domestic airports than any other Nordic country (around 50), and it simply would not be viable to do customs clearance at every single one of those for every single flight.
And how many of those 50 have international arrivals? The matter doesn't exist at domestic-only airports right?

Secondly, unlike Denmark, Sweden and Finland ALL international luggage has to be cleared by customs, whereas the other countries doesn't have to customs clear luggage from the European Union, which are the majority of international flights for all the Nordic countries.
The fact that ALL international luggage needs to be cleared is a Norwegian decision though and that decision is what is leading to the highly appalling international to domestic transfer process.

It sounds like Norway would be better off adopting the same approach to EU arrivals as the rest of the Nordics. I understand that not being a EU-member come with restrictions but there are other treaties and rules in place that leverage EU benefits.
FlyingMoose is offline  
Old Sep 15, 16, 5:00 am
  #36  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,048
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
From a job protection perspective or did they have reasonable arguments?
Certainly not from a job protection perspective, the government actually claimed that the trial project would require more customs officials. (Tolletaten vil derfor sette i gang en en rekke tiltak for å kompensere for dette. Tiltakene innebærer blant annet bedre utstyr og flere tjenestemenn i tollkontrollen. https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktuel...havn/id764815/)
The argument was that the quality of the customs control would deteriorate. The Director General of Customs was against the change, because he feared that the customs control would be weakened, and smugglig would increase:
Tolldirektør Bjørn Røse har ikke lagt skjul på at han er meget skeptisk til å forenkle tollbehandlingen fordi han frykter svekket tollkontroll og økt smugling inn i Norge. (http://www.aftenposten.no/okonomi/SA...en-93744b.html)

And how many of those 50 have international arrivals? The matter doesn't exist at domestic-only airports right?
About twenty (including seasonal charters) but that is not my point. My point is that customs clearance of international connecting luggage in some countries is done by customs at the final destination. This is much more easily done in a country like Denmark with around ten airports than in Norway with fifty. If customs clearance of arriving luggage was to be done at all airports that were the final destination of passengers connecting from international flights, Norway would have to have customs officials at airports like RVK and BVG.


The fact that ALL international luggage needs to be cleared is a Norwegian decision though and that decision is what is leading to the highly appalling international to domestic transfer process.

It sounds like Norway would be better off adopting the same approach to EU arrivals as the rest of the Nordics. I understand that not being a EU-member come with restrictions but there are other treaties and rules in place that leverage EU benefits.
Exactly, Norway is not in the EU. (That "the rest of the Nordics" are members is wrong, though. Iceland is not). Even as one who voted for EU membership in the last (1994) referendum, ease of connecting at OSL would be the least important of arguments. Norway wants to control her borders. As we are not in the EU, and do not have a customs union with the EU (unlike the passport union), we have to control our border in a way that is sufficiently secure, without being too hasslesome for law-abiding travellers.
ksu is offline  
Old Sep 15, 16, 5:10 am
  #37  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,048
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Yes, I tried to explain that to my colleague when she asked 'why are we doing this ...?' Unfortunately when we arrived at KRS a KL flight from AMS arrived and customs was out in full force with dog and all. Then a month later the same happened in TRD. We come in via OSL, colleagues come in via AMS. Flights arrive around the same time, customs is present at the luggage hall too
I do not quite understand your post, as domestic and international arrivals at TRD are separate, even in different buildings. (My only arrival at KRS was in 1987, but I often travel through TRD.) If you were customs checked at OSL, you shouldn't be checked again at KRS or TRD.

As for sniffer dogs, that probably had to do with the origin of the international flight, AMS.

In my experience, customs official at provincial airports (BGO, TRD, SVG and TOS) tend to be more zealous than at OSL. I don't think I have ever been checked in the green channel at OSL (or FBU for that matter), but I have been at SVG, BGO and TRD)
ksu is offline  
Old Sep 15, 16, 5:21 am
  #38  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 40,821
What would interest me is what is supposed to happen if customs found something nefarious in my luggage, assuming my flight qualifies for CN. So I would have waited at the CN gate, waiting for the all clear signal indicating the flight was checked by customs. Then when scanning my BP, the alarm goes off and someone guides me downstairs?
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Dec 9, 16, 6:45 pm
  #39  
kpc
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sydney
Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,012
Confused re connecting, International----> Domestic at Oslo.
I'm thinking of booking Lgw-Osl-Tos with Norwegian which the website will sell as one ticket.... the transit time at Oslo is listed as 70 minutes which is not long if I have to clear immigration and customs, collect and recheck my checked luggage....or will my checked luggage be checked right through to Tos from Lgw as per link below...thanks for clarifying

http://www.routesonline.com/airports...-oslo-airport/
kpc is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 5:39 am
  #40  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,048
Originally Posted by kpc View Post
Confused re connecting, International----> Domestic at Oslo.
I'm thinking of booking Lgw-Osl-Tos with Norwegian which the website will sell as one ticket.... the transit time at Oslo is listed as 70 minutes which is not long if I have to clear immigration and customs, collect and recheck my checked luggage....or will my checked luggage be checked right through to Tos from Lgw as per link below...thanks for clarifying

http://www.routesonline.com/airports...-oslo-airport/
Connecting Norway has been closed since September due to the major rebuilding /extension of the airport. It should open again this month, but I am not sure that this has happened yet. Without Connecting Norway your luggage will be tagged through to TOS on a through ticket, but you will have to carry your bag through customs, recheck the bag and reclear security. Your wait will be for the bag. The recheck is automated and security is usually very quick at OSL. Even without Connecting Norway 70 minutes is sufficient for your connection. MCT INT-DOM is 45 minutes. Connecting Norway does not really save you much time, only some hassle when checking luggage.
On a connecting ticket there is no risk in booking a 70 min connection. Norwegian will rebook you to their next flight if you miss your connection.
ksu is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 5:48 pm
  #41  
kpc
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sydney
Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,012
Originally Posted by ksu View Post
Connecting Norway has been closed since September due to the major rebuilding /extension of the airport. It should open again this month, but I am not sure that this has happened yet. Without Connecting Norway your luggage will be tagged through to TOS on a through ticket, but you will have to carry your bag through customs, recheck the bag and reclear security. Your wait will be for the bag. The recheck is automated and security is usually very quick at OSL. Even without Connecting Norway 70 minutes is sufficient for your connection. MCT INT-DOM is 45 minutes. Connecting Norway does not really save you much time, only some hassle when checking luggage.
On a connecting ticket there is no risk in booking a 70 min connection. Norwegian will rebook you to their next flight if you miss your connection.
Thank you!
kpc is offline  
Old Dec 20, 16, 6:43 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ARN (covid exile)
Programs: Radisson Platinum, SAS Nothing, SJ Prio Grey
Posts: 1,679
Hi. I keep recieving conflicting information regarding Connecting Norway from SAS and Avinor so I wonder if anyone has experience with situation similiar to mine.

I'm travelling from PRG to TOS with transfers at ARN and OSL (PRG-ARN-OSL-TOS). SAS told me that I will be able to use Connecting Norway as I'm arriving to Oslo from Arlanda, while Avinor claimed that I have to recheck bag as service is only available to those starting their journey in Stockholm.

Which is correct? With only 70 minutes of transfer time, I'd hate to go "wrong way", risking that I'll miss my flight.

Thank you!

Edit: For future reference, it is possible to use Connecting Norway in such case.

Last edited by the810; Dec 22, 16 at 12:39 am
the810 is online now  
Old Dec 22, 16, 5:46 am
  #43  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,048
Originally Posted by the810 View Post
Hi. I keep recieving conflicting information regarding Connecting Norway from SAS and Avinor so I wonder if anyone has experience with situation similiar to mine.

I'm travelling from PRG to TOS with transfers at ARN and OSL (PRG-ARN-OSL-TOS). SAS told me that I will be able to use Connecting Norway as I'm arriving to Oslo from Arlanda, while Avinor claimed that I have to recheck bag as service is only available to those starting their journey in Stockholm.

Which is correct? With only 70 minutes of transfer time, I'd hate to go "wrong way", risking that I'll miss my flight.

Thank you!

Edit: For future reference, it is possible to use Connecting Norway in such case.
My experience is the same as yours: I flew MUC-ARN-OSL-KSU this summer, and was able to use Connecting Norway, which from what I saw yesterday from C apparently had opened again, and changed name.
ksu is offline  
Old Nov 14, 17, 11:24 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
Posts: 5,058
Any recent experiences here?

Going LAX-OSL-SXF (Berlin) on DY, in premium cabin; 1h45m connection (but to last Berlin flight of the day); if travelling with carryon only, what should we expect?
CO FF is offline  
Old Nov 14, 17, 3:36 pm
  #45  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,048
Originally Posted by CO FF View Post
Any recent experiences here?

Going LAX-OSL-SXF (Berlin) on DY, in premium cabin; 1h45m connection (but to last Berlin flight of the day); if travelling with carryon only, what should we expect?
Your connection is not at INT-DOM connection, but an INT-INT: specifically Non-Schengen to Schengen. So Domestic Norway (previously Connecting Norway) does not apply to you.

Even if you do check luggage LAX-SXF. you would not see the luggage at OSL: all customs clearance will be done at SXF. You will enter Schengen at OSL, though, so your passport will be checked there.

I would not worry at all about the connection There will probably be a short wait in passport control, and a quick transfer security check. You'll be in the Schengen departure hall less than 30 minutes after landing. If there should be a severe delay (and you are on a through ticket), Norwegian will provide a new flight, as well as food and a hotel.
ksu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: