Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Swede travelling: recommend a credit card for EUR/USD, please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold

As the subject says, my bank accounts/savings are in SEK. I will be spending a longer period abroad and I am looking for a card to use when paying in EUR/USD, but also to withdraw money at ATMs, without larger fees for currency conversion etc.

Alternative: I do have a EUR account and suitable credit cards for payments all over the world for that account. I could transfer a larger amount of SEK to EUR once and avoid any hassle. The cheapest alternative for that I find is transferwise - does anyone have any experience with them?
Old May 17, 2016, 2:22 pm
Suspended

This is the best card, no fees for everything.

https://www.santanderconsumer.se/kort/mitt-kort/
Old May 18, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks, dehetoxic! I am having a look.

It says though: "Kontantuttag är inte räntefria. Ränta utgår enligt § 12 ovan från det att beloppet har belastat kontot." "Upp till 60 dagars räntefrihet på det du handlar (gäller ej kontantuttag)"

If I understand this correctly, using this card at ATMs means paying ~13% p.a. interest rate on the amount retrieved until it is paid back with the next bill. Right? So I guess only interesting for payments made in EUR/USD, but not for ATM use.

Any more thoughts?
Old May 18, 2016, 1:04 pm

www.banknorwegian.se
no fees whatsoever...
Old May 18, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC, SAS EBS, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Zeehe
As the subject says, my bank accounts/savings are in SEK. I will be spending a longer period abroad and I am looking for a card to use when paying in EUR/USD, but also to withdraw money at ATMs, without larger fees for currency conversion etc.

Alternative: I do have a EUR account and suitable credit cards for payments all over the world for that account. I could transfer a larger amount of SEK to EUR once and avoid any hassle. The cheapest alternative for that I find is transferwise - does anyone have any experience with them?
I've used Transferwise a number of times to move GBP to SEK and Euros. It's always worked well and the exchange rate charge was the promised market rate less 0.5%.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:36 am

I love the SAS travel card. Great app. Easy loading, easy to manage money. I've used it for USD/GBP/Euro/DKK/NOK and fill it with SEK.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I live in Sweden and facing the same challenge too.

I think the only one that does it would be COOP medmera mer. BUT this will not cover any cost that the ATM charges you, Thailand and US is famous for that - the fee in Thailand is 200THB and in the US is from $3-$7. You can get it for 1 year and cancel it (first year is free).

DKB used to refund them but from June 1 they won't be doing that anymore.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vitrysk_kille
www.banknorwegian.se
no fees whatsoever...
1.75 % fee for currency exchange though. Even the Forex VISA card and Coop MedMera do better than that (1.5%)
Old May 19, 2016, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
I live in Sweden and facing the same challenge too.

I think the only one that does it would be COOP medmera mer. BUT this will not cover any cost that the ATM charges you, Thailand and US is famous for that - the fee in Thailand is 200THB and in the US is from $3-$7. You can get it for 1 year and cancel it (first year is free).

DKB used to refund them but from June 1 they won't be doing that anymore.
You mean the fee that some ATMs charge you. There is no Swedish card that reimburses those, and as you say, the one German card that reimbursed these costs wont do so any longer. So let's assume these always have to be paid, no matter what.

However, the cards pointed out in this thread so far have additional fees on top of that:
Coop MedMera Mer and Santander Mitt kort charge you interest rate for ATM withdrawals from the day of taking out the money until it's paid back with the next bill. The Norwegian card does not charge you interest rate, but a fixed 1.75% fee for the currency exchange. Best for ATM withdrawals is so far probably then the Forex Bankkort, 1.5% on the currency exchange.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Zeehe
You mean the fee that some ATMs charge you. There is no Swedish card that reimburses those, and as you say, the one German card that reimbursed these costs wont do so any longer. So let's assume these always have to be paid, no matter what.

However, the cards pointed out in this thread so far have additional fees on top of that:
Coop MedMera Mer and Santander Mitt kort charge you interest rate for ATM withdrawals from the day of taking out the money until it's paid back with the next bill. The Norwegian card does not charge you interest rate, but a fixed 1.75% fee for the currency exchange. Best for ATM withdrawals is so far probably then the Forex Bankkort, 1.5% on the currency exchange.
The Forex Bankkort is interesting, but I think there is also an annual fee attached to it. I have a Santander card that doesn't charge a fee or interest - I think the reason why is that it's from GE moneybank - It's a debit card, so I don't owe them interest as it's drawn direct from my savings account. I don't think they do that anymore. So that's the card and the DKB Visa that I normally use abroad.

What about this debit card from COOP?
Old May 19, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
www.revolut.com

No fees at all – no currency exchange fee, interbank fx rates, no ATM fees (up to 650 EUR / 700 USD per month), nice app to manage your account, ability to send money instantly to your contacts.

(PM me for 5 GBP sign-up bonus code.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.