SAS Go Light

Old May 15, 16, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

SAS Go Light

Hi, I have some questions regarding the flight ticket I purchased in March. I purchased SAS flight ticket flying from Bergen, Norway to Manchester, UK and it is stated in the email that SAS go light is without baggage allowance. So I bought a bag later and I'm really puzzled now since the information I found online stating that Go light is not allowed to bring baggage??

Does it mean that I will have to upgrade my booking class to SAS Go or else I won't be able to check in the baggage on my flight day? Or I will be able to check in luggage even though I'm buying SAS Go Light flight ticket?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JennyZhu; May 16, 16 at 5:39 am
Old May 16, 16, 12:12 am

You can still check a bag but they will charge for it. No need to change the booking class. If you have Star Alliance Gold status the first bag is free even on the GO light tickets.
Old May 16, 16, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
You can still check a bag but they will charge for it. No need to change the booking class. If you have Star Alliance Gold status the first bag is free even on the GO light tickets.
Okay it means I am allowed to check in baggage as long as I paid for it, right..Thank you!!
Old May 16, 16, 5:34 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by JennyZhu View Post
Okay it means I am allowed to check in baggage as long as I paid for it, right..Thank you!!
Correct. If you prepay for the luggage you plan on checking in, it will cos approximately the same as the price difference Go/Go Light, thus no need to incur change fees for the ticket.

The baggage fee can be paid online on the SK homepage. The lower rate (NOK 239 appr. GBP 20) must be paid at least 22 hours before departure. If you wait until you check-in online or get to the airport, the fee more than doubles, from NOK 239 to NOK 540 (appr. GBP 50)
Old May 16, 16, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksu View Post
Correct. If you prepay for the luggage you plan on checking in, it will cos approximately the same as the price difference Go/Go Light, thus no need to incur change fees for the ticket.

The baggage fee can be paid online on the SK homepage. The lower rate (NOK 239 appr. GBP 20) must be paid at least 22 hours before departure. If you wait until you check-in online or get to the airport, the fee more than doubles, from NOK 239 to NOK 540 (appr. GBP 50)
Thanks for your reply! I was so worried that I might have to pay more since I purchased SAS Go Light instead of other bookings classes. Thank youuuu
Old Jun 3, 17, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Is this still true today?
Old Jun 3, 17, 6:22 pm

Programs: SK, A3, QR
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Is this still true today?
Yes, rules have not changed. *A Gold gets to check in a bag for free, otherwise you can prepay through SK website, or at a higher price upon check-in.
Old Jun 3, 17, 9:57 pm

So if I'm *G, don't value flexibility and only have one bag there's no reason not to book the Go Light class as everything else comes across from *G (priority checkin, luggage, lounge and priority boarding)?
Old Jun 4, 17, 4:48 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by Productivity View Post
So if I'm *G, don't value flexibility and only have one bag there's no reason not to book the Go Light class as everything else comes across from *G (priority checkin, luggage, lounge and priority boarding)?
Yes. The only difference between the Go Light fare and the Go fare (i.e. ordinary restricted coach) is the lack of luggage allowance for non-status customers.
Old Jun 11, 17, 2:31 pm

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Productivity View Post

And that is the way it should be according to the rules *A adopted for itself.

It really is extremely annoying that LH, OS and Swiss do not follow the *A rules anymore. No free piece of luggage for *G anymore when you buy their Light fare.
Old Jun 13, 17, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johnnywho View Post
And that is the way it should be according to the rules *A adopted for itself.

It really is extremely annoying that LH, OS and Swiss do not follow the *A rules anymore. No free piece of luggage for *G anymore when you buy their Light fare.
Where are these "rules" posted?
Old Jun 13, 17, 11:26 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Where are these "rules" posted?
Just see at http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status the benefits. It says extra baggage allowance. But some *A airlines say that you can only have an extra baggage allowance if your ticket has baggage allowance included. But no *A airline has a reason to complain about it since they can always adjust now to the new interpretation of the extra allowance to get more ancillary revenues​​​​​​.
Old Jun 29, 17, 1:12 am

Programs: United 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold
Change in rules

*note: I just called SAS about this and was told the rules have changed and *A Gold now only gets an extra bag if one is included in your itinerary (so Go Light with 0 will NOT include a free bag). I will try to confirm at the airport tomorrow but she said the policy just recently changed.
Old Jun 29, 17, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by IlanDC View Post
*note: I just called SAS about this and was told the rules have changed and *A Gold now only gets an extra bag if one is included in your itinerary (so Go Light with 0 will NOT include a free bag). I will try to confirm at the airport tomorrow but she said the policy just recently changed.
I just flew Go Light a week ago on SAS and it included a free bag. I have another flight next week and can reconfirm as well.
Old Jun 30, 17, 4:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, SkyPesos, AAdvantage, MR
Originally Posted by IlanDC View Post
I just flew SAS go light youth yesterday and had the normal 1 bag allowance. The SAS website even states *G allowance is 1 bag over normal allowance on all ticket types. I really hope SAS doesn't turn into the LH group on this.

Search this Thread