Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Plusgrade is no longer in use by SAS. They run their own bid process as of February 2nd 2022.

These are the new terms and conditions: https://www.flysas.com/travel/upgrad...rade-tc-en.pdf.

As a major change to the flow, successful bids no longer earn points from the upgraded booking class, but gets a fixed number of additional points depending on the regions of the flight:

Within and between Sweden, Denmark (incl The Faeroe Islands), Norway, Finland, Estonia, and Latvia
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 250 Basispoints
To, from, and within other European countries:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 500 Basispoints
To and from Asia and the US:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Plus to SAS Business: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Go to SAS Business: 3000 Basispoints
Print Wikipost

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
This sucks. Do they really think we were doing all these short-haul upgrades for the product? What's the benefit for SK from flying almost empty PLUS cabins on many routes?

I essentially requalified already, so I do not need any upgrades for the next 6+ months. I hope something reasonable stabilizes until then.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:15 pm

The thread title should be changed to "SK ditches plusgrade"

It may well be that SK operating this at home, means the system is much less sophisticated, and either it will become very inflexible, or it will be easier to game Keep the reports coming.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK2751
The thread title should be changed to "SK ditches plusgrade"

It may well be that SK operating this at home, means the system is much less sophisticated, and either it will become very inflexible, or it will be easier to game Keep the reports coming.
We need a moderator to do that.... I already updated the wiki.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:21 am

Excellent, this has somehow worked. Now we need someone to confirm that indeed upgrades paid with points do not earn points. This was actually often the claim in the past, but they still did ...
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:31 am

I did an upgrade via the new SAS upgrade system. I received miles for the original booking class and did not receive any bonus/extra miles related to the upgrade.

Edit: I saw this in the T&C's : "4.11. If you are a EuroBonus member, you will earn EuroBonus Basic points on your purchase of Upgrade if you have paid for your Upgrade using credit card. The number of points earned is based on destination and upgraded travel class. If you have paid for your Upgrade using EuroBonus points, no additional EuroBonus points will be earned for you purchase of Upgrade. Note that this is in addition to the points that you will earn for the original ticket according to your original booking class"
SK2751 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: SK*G, OW S
I really believe that this change, together with removing +2 free baggages on Plus Smart fares, removing free carry-on, etc. are just making SAS a cheapo airline but with premium prices. Wouldn't be surprised if next they remove free drinks for Diamonds or they take away youth tickets. And no, they cannot compete with FR or W6 because their cost structure cannot compete with low costs. Things have been pretty much changing for the worse for some years, but feels like Anko is just speeding up the cheapening process. Sad to see...
the810 and dark_phoenix like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SK seems to want to pocket more of the upgrade revenue and make the upgrade revenue more profitable for it. Whether this change ends up delivering on that will be easier to claim than to determine since a secular recovery in the industry/market covers up even sub-optimal approaches to doing business.

I think SK will be on a further cost-cutting drive that further erodes the value I get out of its products; however, other than the reduction in mileage-earning power from the upgrades, this isn't going to impact me as much as some of the other things that SK may do to reduce its costs of providing service to customers.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 1:02 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
For me as a Diamond there wont be any advantage to upgrade anymore with SAS, perhaps for some its still a good value proportion, but not for me.

If they remove the free drinks for Diamonds that will remove any desire to fly with them 🤣🤣

I will miss the plusgrade as the extra poibts made me spend my money and points for otherwise useless upgrades but now theres really very little advantage to book SAS over other Star alliance flights 🤷‍♂️
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:15 am

I see value of upgrades for long haul but this is a segment of travel that has almost disappeared for me after COVID. I expect that it will come back super slowly. On short haul? bleh. It looks I should deplete my points on flight awards.

Do tickets-for-points (not awards) still earn? This might be a way to funnel some points into status, as before OT/PlusGrade times.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Do tickets-for-points (not awards) still earn? This might be a way to funnel some points into status, as before OT/PlusGrade times.
Nope. Nothing...
Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Not exactly sure what you mean with “tickets for points”. But if you use points to buy a revenue ticket with points/miles rather than an award, then you will earn points and status on that ticket, as it comes from revenue buckets. But the amount of points required will be much higher.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 1:31 pm

I meant what Koru Flyer suggests - so it still seems to work. I realize revenue tickets for points are more expensive, but this is not concerning me. Award flights are not really that attractive for me. They just mean more flying. It is like a pie being a prize in a pie-eating competition. I want to use points on something useful, for instance re-qualifying faster, with less flying.
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I meant what Koru Flyer suggests - so it still seems to work. I realize revenue tickets for points are more expensive, but this is not concerning me. Award flights are not really that attractive for me. They just mean more flying. It is like a pie being a prize in a pie-eating competition. I want to use points on something useful, for instance re-qualifying faster, with less flying.
my data point is that SK flights bought using SAS points and credited to UA were awarded Mike’s in accordance with the ticketed fare class.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by JR67
Nope. Nothing...
Sorry - I was answering about award tickets. Points for revenue tickets are way too expensive in my world so I didn't even think about that. In my experience the only place where points give you a good return are on upgrades. This may change now that SAS has "enhanced" our point experience...
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:31 am

Fully agree, they are expensive. The only reason I used them was it was the only way I could use some points before they expired. Which was for a GOT/CPH (!) flight where SK managed to loose the bags so the whole episode was far more hassle and time consuming than the train. So a very expensive and wasteful exercise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.