Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by gnaget
I did LAX-ARN return and upgraded Plus to Business on both legs at the minimum of SEK 7200. I actually bid something like 7230 just to be ahead of another minimum bid.
Wow - that is expensive for a PE to C upgrade!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I did LAX-ARN return and upgraded Plus to Business on both legs at the minimum of SEK 7200. I actually bid something like 7230 just to be ahead of another minimum bid.

The outbound seemed wide open in Y and C, but the business cabin only had one seat empty, I think, when we departed.

On the return it was down to C3 when I made my bid maybe 60 hours out. (I only did it because it looked like Y was filling up and I would get someone next to me in the 3 seater middle section!) When I cleared at the window there were only 2 seats available......

I have found that often when the minimum bids are silly high in ccash the bids in points are more of a good value they dont go quite as high or atleast not as fast 😂
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Wow - that is expensive for a PE to C upgrade!
Well, they had C for ca. $1600 on the outbound leg for a while, which I would have purchased, so I paid roughly the same.
The return leg was something like $650 in PE. The round trip was $1700 in PE.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by kauppias
I have found that often when the minimum bids are silly high in ccash the bids in points are more of a good value they dont go quite as high or atleast not as fast 😂
Well, in the old days the PE to C upgrade was 10k miles? And 30k from M? Or was it 10k from M to Y? Then I was motivated to collect points on SAS, but have stopped for 5+ years. The use of points for upgrade has been seriously devalued.

The last few years I have been buying longhaul C tickets about once a year on SAS and then some short-haul where I often prefer GO where I can get exit row.

Overall the premium tickets have been become more affordable; 10-20 years ago the premium tickets were "stupid expensive" with no discounting especially ex-USA. The official cash upgrading is part of this overall cost reduction while points have become devalued.

I mean, LAX-ARN r/t for 3k in C is a pretty good deal but only a few of those seats seem to be available.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Well, in the old days the PE to C upgrade was 10k miles? And 30k from M? Or was it 10k from M to Y? Then I was motivated to collect points on SAS, but have stopped for 5+ years. The use of points for upgrade has been seriously devalued.

The last few years I have been buying longhaul C tickets about once a year on SAS and then some short-haul where I often prefer GO where I can get exit row.

Overall the premium tickets have been become more affordable; 10-20 years ago the premium tickets were "stupid expensive" with no discounting especially ex-USA. The official cash upgrading is part of this overall cost reduction while points have become devalued.

I mean, LAX-ARN r/t for 3k in C is a pretty good deal but only a few of those seats seem to be available.

The upgrades via points using plusgrade are okay value for me since I get points according to the nenew bookong class.

However 3k for SAS J is far from a good deal in my opinion. 1500€ is another story 🤣😃

Ex Arn and OSL there are good premium cabin sales quite often.

But as they say Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the the goes for Value. For one the talue is X for the other Y and the rest is Z. 😃👍
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by kauppias
However 3k for SAS J is far from a good deal in my opinion. 1500€ is another story 🤣😃

Ex Arn and OSL there are good premium cabin sales quite often.

But as they say Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the the goes for Value. For one the talue is X for the other Y and the rest is Z. 😃👍
I agree with you on travel starting in EU. But if your home airport is e.g. LAX those 3000$ (2650€) are a good deal.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Is it still conventional wisdom that travel agent bookings don't get CU's? If so, I have a data point to add - a colleague got a CU with a ticket booked via the company travel agent.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JR67
Is it still conventional wisdom that travel agent bookings don't get CU's? If so, I have a data point to add - a colleague got a CU with a ticket booked via the company travel agent.
It is the first time I have heard that as conventional wisdom. And a friend have had curtesy upgrades on corporate flights, so I'd be surprised if it was.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Has anyone noticed the Chrstmas offer they have now on the Plusgrade page?:

THE ULTIMATE CHISTMAS (sic) GIFT TO YOURSELF – AN UPGRADE!

Treat yourself with a Christmas gift and fly more comfortable with SAS Upgrade. On departures between 18th of December – 7th of January you will get campaign prices if you place a bid to SAS Plus or Business. Available on routes between Scandinavia to/from USA, China and Hong Kong. It’s not too late to treat yourself to an extra comfortable travel experience by placing a bid below.
It then lists fixed money pricing to upgrade from Go to Plus, but no mention of fixed pricing for other upgrade paths.

I'm on IAD-CPH during those dates, and I'm booked in Plus. I logged in but it's not showing any fixed price to go from Plus to Business -- just the usual selector and it will let me bid up to $1,160. Does this offer of fixed upgrade pricing only apply if booked in Go? The wording is a bit unclear.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:10 am

I flew NRT-CPH on December 22. I bid for an upgrade from Go to Plus in September when I bought the ticket. I bid about 18 000 points and was upgraded. After I had boarded I noticed that basically the whole economy class section was full and I only saw one seat in Plus empty. I was quite surprised that there were so many people on the flight.

On in my return flight to Narita the lowest bid is, in cash, 1800SEK. I will try to get an upgrade on my way back as well.

Last edited by Wingu; Dec 28, 2018 at 2:26 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Upgraded at T-48 hours from Plus to Business on IAD-CPH, for $300. That was the minimum cash bid, and I think it cleared with such a low bid due to the Christmas promotion I referred to in post 818.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: SK Silver
Upgraded Plus to Business HKG to CPH at 2000 SEK. That was bidded a few months back before the route was launched.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Question Possible to see if lower bid is available?

I've made a bid for a flight a few weeks back, the lowest possible at the time. I'd like to check if the minimum bid possible has changed since then. Will the SAS Plusgrade show me the new minimum bid if I click to change bid, or do I have to cancel the bid in order to see the (possible) new scale?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jfidler
Upgraded at T-48 hours from Plus to Business on IAD-CPH, for $300. That was the minimum cash bid, and I think it cleared with such a low bid due to the Christmas promotion I referred to in post 818.
I have been finding a lot of business class award space on that flight. It was a big reason why I bought a lot of frequent flyer miles and ended up with one-way business class seating on this route for sub-$800 all-in.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:23 am

CPH-EWR (8h 45min)

Minimum Bids
Y->Y+ = 315€
Y->C = 970€

EWR-OSL (7h 20min)

Minimum Bids
Y->Y+ = 325€
Y->C = 1070€

Not including the 2 connecting flights to Vienna.

That is just insane. Who would even buy that? There's direct C flights for less than the minimum upgrade bid amounts combined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.