Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Plusgrade is no longer in use by SAS. They run their own bid process as of February 2nd 2022.

These are the new terms and conditions: https://www.flysas.com/travel/upgrad...rade-tc-en.pdf.

As a major change to the flow, successful bids no longer earn points from the upgraded booking class, but gets a fixed number of additional points depending on the regions of the flight:

Within and between Sweden, Denmark (incl The Faeroe Islands), Norway, Finland, Estonia, and Latvia
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 250 Basispoints
To, from, and within other European countries:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 500 Basispoints
To and from Asia and the US:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Plus to SAS Business: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Go to SAS Business: 3000 Basispoints
Print Wikipost

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2022, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Nadiemc
If you do end up bidding for the upgrade will you report back if you are accepted. I’m traveling EWR-ARN in plus a few days before Christmas. The flight is empty as of right now including business. It’s showing USD 800 minimum upgrade and just wondering if that will drop near the time.
I am flying in early November CPH-ORD, and my minimum bid is also $800 with a near empty plane according to EF. I think there are a total of fifteen seats booked in total right now.

Does the minimum bid drop nearer to departure?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Shaetan
Does anyone know if you have to credit the flight to the EB account to get the 'bonus' point weighting? Have a flight crediting to UA but want to use an EB silver account's points to bid.
You can apply SK ff number while you bid, and until the check in time (by which time the bid should be either accepted or not), and switch to your UA ff number at check in (or right after).
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
You can apply SK ff number while you bid, and until the check in time (by which time the bid should be either accepted or not), and switch to your UA ff number at check in (or right after).
Got it, thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
I am flying in early November CPH-ORD, and my minimum bid is also $800 with a near empty plane according to EF. I think there are a total of fifteen seats booked in total right now.

Does the minimum bid drop nearer to departure?
Not necessarily. The low minimums that I and others received (SEK 2700 in my case) were during peak summer season. I am guessing that economy was way oversold when I bought my tickets slightly more than a week in advance in July. (I bought Plus, BTW.) Historically, they would be making operational upgrades, so they lower the bar for selling an upgrade.They need to move the eco pax up to Plus and Plus into business. Back in 2019 I recall that I paid just above the minimum in the high SEK 7000 range for LAX-CPH, so the minimum was around $800 like now. This was for low season in late Nov early Dec. In any case, the minimum seems tb be slightly lower if you bid in SEK!
Old Aug 24, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: A3 *G
To follow up - I checked the minimum bid amounts for SFO-CPH in early October and CPH-SFO in mid-October and they both have dropped to $300 to go from Plus to Business. The Plus cabin looks to be almost pretty full in both directions, but not sure what Y looks like. Based on what I can see through my corporate travel website, SFO-CPH is looking very empty while on CPH-SFO is about 40%, but this probably does not capture those who have not selected seats yet.

As another data point, my friend just flew CPH-LAX two days ago and successfully upgraded from Y to J with the minimum bid of 420 euros. He said Y was about 75% full; I'm not sure what class economy ticket he bought.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by klavkonz
To follow up - I checked the minimum bid amounts for SFO-CPH in early October and CPH-SFO in mid-October and they both have dropped to $300 to go from Plus to Business. The Plus cabin looks to be almost pretty full in both directions, but not sure what Y looks like. Based on what I can see through my corporate travel website, SFO-CPH is looking very empty while on CPH-SFO is about 40%, but this probably does not capture those who have not selected seats yet.

As another data point, my friend just flew CPH-LAX two days ago and successfully upgraded from Y to J with the minimum bid of 420 euros. He said Y was about 75% full; I'm not sure what class economy ticket he bought.
Interesting. Maybe they are dropping the minimum based on some algorithm while 3-4 years ago it was pretty firm around SEK 7000 or $800. BTW, it's a bit confusing when you use Y (where I think you mean basic economy or Go) because Y is the (highest) booking class for Plus. In SAS/ LH / Amadeus parlance, economy (or Go) is referred to as M class.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: SK Gold
Originally Posted by gnaget
Interesting. Maybe they are dropping the minimum based on some algorithm
Might be, and I hope it is the case, but I have a trip from OSL to EWR in early November and minimum sits firmly on 7800NOK / 29.000 points from Plus to Biz.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by sykkelthor
Might be, and I hope it is the case, but I have a trip from OSL to EWR in early November and minimum sits firmly on 7800NOK / 29.000 points from Plus to Biz.
I think wait until early September to see if it drops. Again, the trend in my case has been: 800 USD when more than 2 months before departure, 500 USD when just under 2 months, and now 300 USD shortly over a month before departure. Of course, YMMV.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 3:34 pm

Any data points on how points vs cash bids are prioritized?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:54 pm

~27k from Plus to Business declined for ewr/osl today
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:01 am

Programs: SK Gold
Originally Posted by Shaetan
~27k from Plus to Business declined for ewr/osl today
What was the minimum when you placed the bid? And any idea of the load in the cabin?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by sykkelthor
What was the minimum when you placed the bid? And any idea of the load in the cabin?
22k or $300 min bid
It went out full, somewhere between 3-6 seats available day of before bidding closed.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:06 am

Just another data point - ORD-CPH for late September showed up at $500 USD minimum for Plus -> Business when I booked/bid in June. Minimum bid is down to $300 now. I will be adjusting my bid accordingly.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:55 pm

Last min booking in a few days time in Plus has SEK 2700 upgrade as does wide open flight in late October. So my theories are probably incorrect and SEK 2700 is it.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: United, Delta, American
Adding another data point for reference. Flying ORD-ARN in late November, 54 days out the minimum bid to go from Plus to Business is $300 USD (previously was $800). Seat map shows only 3 seats sold so I'm optimistic. Bid a little bit higher than the minimum for two seats and will report back.

Last edited by JWskiman; Sep 26, 2022 at 8:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.