Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Plusgrade is no longer in use by SAS. They run their own bid process as of February 2nd 2022.

These are the new terms and conditions: https://www.flysas.com/travel/upgrad...rade-tc-en.pdf.

As a major change to the flow, successful bids no longer earn points from the upgraded booking class, but gets a fixed number of additional points depending on the regions of the flight:

Within and between Sweden, Denmark (incl The Faeroe Islands), Norway, Finland, Estonia, and Latvia
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 250 Basispoints
To, from, and within other European countries:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 500 Basispoints
To and from Asia and the US:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Plus to SAS Business: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Go to SAS Business: 3000 Basispoints
Print Wikipost

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2024, 2:12 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
Is ExpertFlyer showing all of the seats in your sections you are looking for as "occupied" or just as "paid & premium"?
I have a similar question as I'm booked in Plus for LAX-CPH on May 4. The minimum bid to upgrade from Plus to Business has fluctuated between $250 and $410; my current bid is based on the lower bid amount. Checking EF, about half the business cabin is shown occupied while the other half is indicated as requiring a fee for seat assignment. Checking on SAS itself, only 5 seats are available for purchase in Business. Just trying to decide if I should hold my current bid or go by the higher minimum bid.
Old Yesterday, 6:24 am

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver
I will say don't take what I am about to say as gospel. It's completely anecdotal. And with this group, someone is always eager to try and prove the exception. So take what I say as my experience only.

Right up until about November/December, SAS used to only mark seats as "occupied", "available", or "blocked". With that old approach, one of the things you could easiöy see was when SAS was blocking off seats based on their estimation of what seats they could sell. It also allowed one to quite easily decide whether to keep their below minimum bid or to raise it.

Their new approach is to treat every seat as "Premium/Paid", which has reduced the visibility of actual seat availability in the sense that you no longer know what they are blocking off and what they are leaving for potential bidding. I suspect you could potentially get more insight with a subscription to EF, but I don't want to pay for it just for SAS flights. I'll test my theory after SK transition to Sky Team and I need to find premium class availability for voucher use.

With the visibility gone, I would default back to the concept of bid whatever you think the seat is worth. And if travelling in J is critical to you, consider just paying for it outright and avoiding the game of chance.
fwfdan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.